Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MacBook Pros (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by WIRunner

i just checked the version they are selling for $2499 is only $1999 from Apple--of course Apple may not have them in stock so you may have to wait for it to build.

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 Dual-Core
8GB of 2133 MHz RAM | 512GB PCIe SSD
13.3-inch 2560 x 1600 Retina Display
Integrated Intel Iris Graphics 550
802.11ac Wi-Fi | Bluetooth 4.2
Touch Bar | Touch ID Sensor
4 x Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) Ports
3.5mm Headphone Jack | Stereo Speakers
Larger Force Touch Trackpad
macOS Sierra
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Isn't that the $1999 model? It's 2.9mhz, 8 GB, 512 GB, 13.3".

They're selling it for $2499.

Anyway, I just got mine (Adorama, list price) and I'm liking it quite a bit, especially the Touch ID and the loss of half a pound.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by james318
I went from a 2013 13" rMBP to the the 2016 with touch bar. It's really hard to get used to. I hate the keyboard, and you are totally right on the touchpad. It's just too big. I haven't found any use for the touch bar, other than touch ID.

Battery life is terrible. I don't do much more than web browsing, some word/excel, and music and it does not last more than 4 hours.

Getting rid of the MagSafe 2 for charging was a huge mistake. I am constantly worried my dog will trip over the cord and the machine will hit the floor. Not to mention the cord is significantly shorter it seems that my last machine. The only reason I upgraded was because I only had a 256gb drive on my last machine, and really wanted the 2tb.

Regretting the purchase so far. And cmon, they couldn't include one lighting connecter (which I knew going into it...)? Now I need to buy and adapter to sync or charge my iPhone 7p to it. Seems short sighted considering they are making everyone go to lightning for headphones on the new phones. They should have went USB-C and called it a day on the iPhone 7, as I am guessing the iPhone 8 will be USB-C.

</rant>
I didn't like the keyboard at first either - having really disliked the introduction of this new keyboard tech in the macbook (the tiny one) but this version IS much better and the trick I found was to try and type LIGHER and maybe with my hands a tad OFF the wrist rests..doing that makes it feel like it's just butter and very easy and soft touch. My hands actually feel BETTER when using it and I actually type a tad faster. If one is typing as they did in the past - they are wasting effort and energy and should try to scale back a bit and you'll appreciate it.

Battery life in the units we've had 15" models has ranged from 4-10 hours. It's hard to tell WHAT causes it exactly as they were all restored from time machine backups. A fresh install of OS sierra 10.12.1-2 has made a BIG difference even for those who were getting only 4 hours. That should be out next week or get on the beta. Having had 3-5 discharge and re-charge cycles has also helped - as can be expected and trying to minimize CHROME usage - or getting on the latest version also helps. Seems there are some software, flash probably interactions that are tapping resources. users who were using safari with the post launch update had MUCH better batterylife than CHROME users. These thing can be worked out with SW and some time.

there is a nice attachment from griffin that will bring back your magsafe feature, it's a little gaudy for my taste but could help with pet owners and ppl with small ones running around. I agree, it worked so well why take it out at all?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:03 pm

The keyboard definitely feels shallower than the previous macbooks. However, I've always used the sillicone/TPU keyboard covers. After modifying one meant for the 12" MB (cutout for touchbar) and using it, typing feels much more natural.

Haven't had a chance to really test battery life since I'm almost always plugged in. Otherwise USB-C has been nice with just having to plug in 1 cable and having all my peripherals and charging taken care of. The touchbar isn't very useful, but TouchID is a blessing, especially due to the 1Password integration.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by nmenaker
there is a nice attachment from griffin that will bring back your magsafe feature, it's a little gaudy for my taste but could help with pet owners and ppl with small ones running around. I agree, it worked so well why take it out at all?
I'm slowly getting used to the keyboard. Part of my problem is going from a 13 inch to a 15 inch, and I use a 13 inch Dell all day at work. So my hand placement needs some training. But I am starting to like the feel of it.

I'll have to check out the griffin attachment. It might not need it when I pick up the extension cable that for some reason they decided to eliminate including with a $4000 laptop.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:54 am

I bought the 13"/8gb/256gb mbpro with touch bar and I am absolutely in love with it. It replaced my 3 year old 13" custom built windows laptop which had better specs (quad core i7, 16gb ram, 512ssd) but it was rather heavy and had poor battery life. I could not be more satisfied. MacBook Pro experience is so polished, I am just thinking why did I not get it earlier...
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:52 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Had mine for awhile (first day they had them in the Apple Store for pickup) and generally good with it. Battery life is 6-8 hours, keyboard is not great, but not bad either. Though when I switch to my 11in MBA I do notice how good the keyboard was.

No real dongle life (well, one USB A to C) and I like that the power can be plugged into any port.

Touchbar is useful for little things (Safari bookmarks, autofill email addresses in forms, emojis) and I am very smitten with TouchID and it's integration with 1password. I look forward to seeing how it integrates with other software packages soon.

13", 2.9 GHz, 8 Gig, 512. Wish I had more RAM, but by the time I had the OK to buy it was a Christmas delivery, and they had non custom models in stock.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Sort of off topic, but is anyone else having issues with the latest Outlook 2016 using up lots of CPU?
I'm running a 2013 MB Pro 15" and the whole Office 2016 suite chokes the machine. Launching one app can take up to 60 seconds and the computer appears to hang. It's a widely reported issue.

That said, I was excited about the new line until I read this thread. Terrible battery life, no USB, and the keyboard issues aren't worth the weight tradeoff IMO. But I really don't want to crawl back to Windows -- just looking at the interface instills high stress. I guess I'll nurse this MBP along for another year or two and hope for friendlier mid-cycle updates.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:18 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by BearX220
I'm running a 2013 MB Pro 15" and the whole Office 2016 suite chokes the machine. Launching one app can take up to 60 seconds and the computer appears to hang. It's a widely reported issue.

That said, I was excited about the new line until I read this thread. Terrible battery life, no USB, and the keyboard issues aren't worth the weight tradeoff IMO. But I really don't want to crawl back to Windows -- just looking at the interface instills high stress. I guess I'll nurse this MBP along for another year or two and hope for friendlier mid-cycle updates.
FWIW: I had this issue on my desktop iMac (no SDD) but did not see it at all on my 2012 MBP or on my new 2016 MBP.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BearX220
Downgrade your office to 2011, not that much difference IMHO.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I ended up taking the 2016 15" bag.. just didn't see the real point of the TB, it's not really fully baked yet. While i like the form factor, I do travel a lot internationally and really don't want to be carrying dongles and cords for everything. I really like having the SD slot, the HDMI out and a couple USB ports.

So, I found a new (refurbished) 15" top of the line 2.8 1TB 2016 (mid 2015 model) with full 1 yr warranty for 2200$ shipped and will migrate to that for the next couple years. This unit was like 3100$ a couple months ago. I'm actually surprised with the tepid response to the new 2016 models that these aren't getting more $$ in the marketplace. Depreciation from this level though will be pretty slow for the next year.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by james318
And cmon, they couldn't include one lighting connecter (which I knew going into it...)? Now I need to buy and adapter to sync or charge my iPhone 7p to it. Seems short sighted considering they are making everyone go to lightning for headphones on the new phones. They should have went USB-C and called it a day on the iPhone 7, as I am guessing the iPhone 8 will be USB-C.
What adapter would you need as opposed to a type-C to lightning cable?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by briantoronto
FWIW: I had this issue on my desktop iMac (no SDD) but did not see it at all on my 2012 MBP or on my new 2016 MBP.
Same here - I also have an iMac with a normal hard drive (not even Fusion). Performance was terrible - but not only for Office 2016.

I eventually bit the bullet and had an SSD installed by a local company. Restored from a back in 30 minutes,

It's like having a new machine God knows why I didn't do it sooner.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:53 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Don't know if this has lredy been posted but as a heavy Apple products user I found it funny:

Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I got the fully loaded 15" Pro (about $4.5K) and am sending it back.

I love the speed and new keyboard (don't really mind the Touch Bar but not thrilled with it).

But getting only 3hrs of battery life. That is not practical and can't see hwo a software update can fix it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.