Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Which email site to use - esp when travelling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which email site to use - esp when travelling?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Why don't you do this yourself? Use a real e-mail client (not webmail interface) and set it to download messages to your computer. Once there, you can just have them sitting there or archive them on other media.
You could also do the same with a separate cloud service.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
So the answers are:

a) archiving service - so if hacking deletes all of 10 years of emails - it would not be a big loss
b) 2 step verification with google to minimizing hacking- I do not know what other email services give similar security
c) customer service phone access - need paid email service like google for business
d) I do not know what to do to minimize security threats when using public computers like in a 5 star hotel business centre (center) or in an airline lounge or at a medical conference (I am a medical oncologist) - short of not using them.My issue is that I do not own or carry a cell/mobile phone or ipad or tablet or equivalent - I rely on such hotel/airline lounge computers when travelling to keep up with email.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
b) 2 step verification with google to minimizing hacking- I do not know what other email services give similar security
Microsoft does, both for the free Outlook.com and paid Office365 services.

c) customer service phone access - need paid email service like google for business
That will definitely require paying for it; both Google's and Microsoft's paid services are OK, although I would not expect too much out of the basic tiers of service.

d) I do not know what to do to minimize security threats when using public computers like in a 5 star hotel business centre (center) or in an airline lounge or at a medical conference (I am a medical oncologist) - short of not using them.
Using 2-factor authentication can reduce it, but it's still riskier than I'd find acceptable. Rebooting that hardware with your own OS (e.g. a liveCD) is sometimes possible, but usually isn't; that would further reduce the risk.

At least from my perspective (and with, frankly, less professional reason to be concerned about security), there is no option besides my own equipment which reduces risk to be acceptable at this point.

My issue is that I do not own or carry a cell/mobile phone or ipad or tablet or equivalent - I rely on such hotel/airline lounge computers when travelling to keep up with email.
There's a VERY easy solution to that one, and buying your own equipment can be as cheap and/or compact as you want it to be.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nkedel
Microsoft does, both for the free Outlook.com and paid Office365 services.

That will definitely require paying for it; both Google's and Microsoft's paid services are OK, although I would not expect too much out of the basic tiers of service.

Using 2-factor authentication can reduce it, but it's still riskier than I'd find acceptable. Rebooting that hardware with your own OS (e.g. a liveCD) is sometimes possible, but usually isn't; that would further reduce the risk.

At least from my perspective (and with, frankly, less professional reason to be concerned about security), there is no option besides my own equipment which reduces risk to be acceptable at this point.

There's a VERY easy solution to that one, and buying your own equipment can be as cheap and/or compact as you want it to be.
In response to my questions, what is your practice in terms of using email with protection when travelling?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In response to my questions, what is your practice in terms of using email with protection when travelling?
You're conflating several sorts of protection. I haven't used customer support for email since getting out of college (and I knew the guys who ran the email servers in college personally.) I don't worry about Gmail (either the public one, or my grandfathered free Google Apps one) losing my messages, although in the past for other reasons I backed them up to my own server and might again (that would take a LONG time to back up; I've been using gmail since a couple weeks after the invitation-only beta started.)

In terms of logging in on other people's machines, I don't do it; haven't in something like a decade. For travel inside the US, I've had a smartphone longer than that, and I go very few places without a laptop as well. International use of a usable smartphone has been much more recent, but my laptop + a VPN + public hotspots (or hotel wired/wireless access) has suited me just fine.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by jjlmcgrath
Setup GMail with 2 Factor Authentication. The 2FA application does run on your phone (or mobile device) but does not require a connection. In other words you can put your phone in Airplane mode and the app still works fine.

I have used Gmail with 2FA as long as it has been available and suggest if your account has any meaningful emails you do so whether traveling or not.
This
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Keylogger? baahahahaha. Cmon. The sky isn't falling and no one is logging my keystrokes. You are much more likely to lose or have your phone stolen while traveling. Good luck getting into your account then.
With 2 Factor Authentication from Google you can print a list of backup codes which you can carry with you or otherwise store securely - there are no problems accessing your account without your phone. Perhaps if you don't understand the implementation of 2FA then you're not in an especially good place to discredit the keylogger suggestion...?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I have never been in China.

I have been in Hong Kong - presumably Hong Kong does not have the blockage of Google Services.

In China, can one access yahoo emails? Is hotmail a microsoft account?
I was not aware one can get apple email accounts - do they have personalized customer service?
Yahoo, Outlook, Hotmail all work reasonably well in China. Gmail not so much - few problems if using through an email program (whether iOS Mail or on your computer), but not so easy if trying use the webmail version.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by nkedel
The most important thing is just have a cheapo disposable key and wipe it after you're done using it to hand over files to print; risks are much bigger if there are files you want to keep and may open later.
Yeah, I pretty much toss the USB key after putting it in any public computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.