Replace MacBook Air battery -v- Replace Computer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Replace MacBook Air battery -v- Replace Computer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
I JUST replaced my 11" MBA battery last week - I was going to replace the whole laptop but was completely underwhelmed when Apple unveiled the new Macbook "Pro's" (yes, the quotes are intentional.)

I bought a new battery from OWC and had the thing switched out in less than five minutes. It's ridiculously easy to do yourself.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Analise
Ok. So being at 80% within the 3 year period is normal use?
Apple's battery in general are pretty good. My mbp's battery is clocking at 1051 with 86% battery life.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:40 pm

I've replaced my MBP's battery twice now. No love from Apple regarding free battery replacements, so I did them all myself. Took far longer than it should have, being used to swap batteries on the fly with our Thinkpads, but passable.

The new MBP offerings are pathetic, and unfortunately I've maxed out this mid 2009 MBP as far as it can go and it's still struggling. Probably replacing it with a Thinkpad early next year. :/
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I've done the same with my 2009 MBP. I'm not sure what's causing the CPU spikes, but it's starting to get irritating. I've maxed it out with 16gb of RAM and have two SSDs in this thing. The processor is probably the bottleneck.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Well I finally replaced my battery.

About a month ago, took the computer to the Apple store. Signed up for a Genius Bar appointment, was all set to go. The guy did diagnostics on my machine and everything (except the battery) looks great. He did note a few nicks on the outside here/there. Battery level was I think 40% or so.
Then he says to me, "Because your computer is so old, we don't carry that battery anymore."

He did seem extremely interested in the computer and commented how they are in high demand. "If you ever want to get rid of it, you can get about $800 for it." He thought that was about what I paid, but that was closer to $1500. Since it is lightweight and has full USB ports (and Firewire) people like this model.
He gave me information for a local shop that works on Macs.

I was a bit frustrated that I wasted my time to go through all of that, pretty much for nothing.
Didn't think much of it, and didn't do anything. Then last week the fan on my computer started running almost all the time. Just wouldn't shut off unless I powered off the computer.

So I ordered a battery from Amazon on Wednesday. $59, with free 2-day shipping with Prime. Battery arrived yesterday and had it in my machine in about 10 minutes. It came with 2 screwdrivers that you use to open up the computer, take out old, put in new, and close it up. Was so easy, don't know why I didn't do it sooner.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
...Because your computer is so old, we don't carry that battery anymore."
Heard that one in July when I brought in a 2010 MBP with a bloated battery. Straight away, the guy told me that it was a vintage model and that they probably wouldn't have the parts anymore.

As the body was heavily deformed by the battery and there was substantial exterior to the tech located around the battery (particularly the trackpad) a repair would've likely been more expensive than simply replacing it. Took the HDD out and dropped of the rest at a recycling center.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Heard that one in July when I brought in a 2010 MBP with a bloated battery. Straight away, the guy told me that it was a vintage model and that they probably wouldn't have the parts anymore.

As the body was heavily deformed by the battery and there was substantial exterior to the tech located around the battery (particularly the trackpad) a repair would've likely been more expensive than simply replacing it. Took the HDD out and dropped of the rest at a recycling center.
Had a 2009 MBA with a battery that was beginning to swell, causing trackpad malfunctions and slightly deforming the case. Brought it to Apple who offered to replace the battery for some too-high price, so I just had them take out the battery and dispose of it properly. Once the bloated battery was out, everything returned to normal including the swollen case and was usable when plugged into AC.

Ordered a new battery off Amazon for maybe ~50 and replaced it in 5 minutes. Promptly sold the machine with a "brand new battery".

To the above poster and any others in a similar position, just dispose of the battery, connect to a monitor and kb/mouse, and you have a functional desktop computer.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Coolers
just dispose of the battery
What's the best way to dispose of a laptop battery? I assume I shouldn't just throw it in the trash.

And with a new battery, my 2011 MBA seems mostly back to normal. ^
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Some electronics stores such as Best Buy and maybe some office supply stores that deal with electronics like Staples will have recycling bins at the door for free battery recycling.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Battery recycling bins or recycling centres. Don't just throw them out.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:29 pm

I may replace the battery in my early 2011 MBP again because aside from not having a retina display it still does everything I want it to do and. My only complaint is it it a lot heavier than the current 15" models but since I don't travel much anymore except for a couple leisure trips a year I can deal with that for now.

As for recycling the old battery you may be able to drop it at the Apple Store or somewhere like Batteries Plus for recycling.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
I may replace the battery in my early 2011 MBP again because aside from not having a retina display it still does everything I want it to do and. My only complaint is it it a lot heavier than the current 15" models but since I don't travel much anymore except for a couple leisure trips a year I can deal with that for now.

As for recycling the old battery you may be able to drop it at the Apple Store or somewhere like Batteries Plus for recycling.
That is so heavy! I say if you can try to go with a 13" MBP new model. Probably the entry touchbar with the better processor. They will be smaller than your 15" so more portable, weigh less and be able to do some work. 2011 is a bit too old.

I have a 2012 11" MBA with 50% of the battery capacity. It has 2,149 Cycles and i still works perfectly fine. I use my computer too much so will buy a 2017 15" top of the line this year. What a change!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Aside from the battery, upgrading from HDD to SDD gives a new leason on life to older Macs.

I was about to throw away a 2008 or 2009 (?) MBP as totally useless, but instead I threw 100 bucks or so at it - superdrive came out into an external casing, the HDD went to its place as a large(ish) capacity data drive and a brand new 128GB SDD went in as primary drive. In the process it was "hoovered"from the amazing amount of dust that collected inside and the heat pastes were also renewed.

It was like magic afterwards - a fast, modern machine instead of the old clanker. Obviously the CPU remained the same (so no heavy video editing - but I don't do that anyway) and didn't upgrade the RAM either, but again, even if it's swapping (hardly ever) it swaps to the fast SDD.

With this done, the need to lug the main laptop to the holiday home also went away.
Raven_FL likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by mvtm
That is so heavy! I say if you can try to go with a 13" MBP new model. Probably the entry touchbar with the better processor. They will be smaller than your 15" so more portable, weigh less and be able to do some work. 2011 is a bit too old.

I have a 2012 11" MBA with 50% of the battery capacity. It has 2,149 Cycles and i still works perfectly fine. I use my computer too much so will buy a 2017 15" top of the line this year. What a change!
You're right it is really heavy at times. I normally carry it and my other small electronics in a backpack when I travel but this past trip I took a lot more camera gear with me to the Grand Canyon and had to use my small duffle bag as my carry on instead. That sucker was heavy! I usually buy Apple factory refurbs to save a couple hundred bucks but getting a new machine just instant in the budget this year.

While I really like the 15" screens with a retina display I may be able to get by with a 13" MBP or even one of the new MacBooks. Have to take a closer look at them when I'm finally ready to buy.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
You're right it is really heavy at times. I normally carry it and my other small electronics in a backpack when I travel but this past trip I took a lot more camera gear with me to the Grand Canyon and had to use my small duffle bag as my carry on instead. That sucker was heavy! I usually buy Apple factory refurbs to save a couple hundred bucks but getting a new machine just instant in the budget this year.

While I really like the 15" screens with a retina display I may be able to get by with a 13" MBP or even one of the new MacBooks. Have to take a closer look at them when I'm finally ready to buy.
I have bought Apple factory refurbs too. iMac's primarly. I have been thinking of getting a refurb Apple laptop but it has not been necessary. I recommend you to look at B&H prices. I am waiting religiously for B&H Black Friday prices to see how much they will slash about the configuration i'm looking for.

I suspect the price will be even cheaper than a refurb, so that would be even better. Getting a non refurb even cheaper than the refurb Apple's offering. And yep! I recommend you a lot to see them side by side at the store that way you can be sure of what size will fit your needs. It's all about of being comfortable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.