Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by jfk747
Prices will drop on the 7 by xmas.
No they won't lol this is not Samsung
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
A dock isn't a viable alternative.
Probably during mid-flight when one can not place dock on a flat surface. There are other alternatives such as the Belkin that I linked to.

In any case, it's odd to me that the lack of headphone jack warrants not to get the phone
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:30 pm

I manage several family member's accounts and have to do a complicated dance involving subsidized upgrades, contract extensions and unlimited data plans, and purchasing new iPhones will be required to keep the whole system running smoothly.

But all this will be happening around the holidays, and not now, thank goodness.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Troopers
Probably during mid-flight when one can not place dock on a flat surface. There are other alternatives such as the Belkin that I linked to.

In any case, it's odd to me that the lack of headphone jack warrants not to get the phone
It is something that I use regularly. I'm not interested in replacing my bose earbuds, or buying a dongle (which I will lose, and just adds bulk). The improvement in the camera isn't important, since I don't take a picture daily, but I do use my headphones daily. I'd need to ensure that I've got a dongle in my travel bag, my gym bag, one at the office, one at home, and a spare. That adds up quick. Last trip I forgot my headphones at my parents, it was easy enough to stop by a kiosk and pick up a $10 set for the plane.

When I worked in wireless people wouldn't buy devices for even more ridiculous reasons. (Wrong colour shade, the logo was ugly.) The 3.5mm was a big improvement over the 2.5mm that had been in phones forever. This isn't the first phone lacking a headphone jack or other ports, the Motorola RAZR V3 (and V3m/c/t etc) had only a mini USB port. It came with an adaptor for the 3.5mm and had the mini USB headphones. Other manufacturers made a big deal about having an SD card and a regular headphone jack. The RAZR sold very well, but the next generation after the V3 had a traditional headphone jack again.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:51 pm

Very courageous that AAPL, the current market leader in wireless headphones, would force its customer base to "upgrade" in that direction (or collect a royalty from every company that offers lightning headphones or adapters). The company that eschewed a stylus is now shipping a flagship product with a dongle.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
It is something that I use regularly. I'm not interested in replacing my bose earbuds, or buying a dongle (which I will lose, and just adds bulk). The improvement in the camera isn't important, since I don't take a picture daily, but I do use my headphones daily. I'd need to ensure that I've got a dongle in my travel bag, my gym bag, one at the office, one at home, and a spare. That adds up quick. Last trip I forgot my headphones at my parents, it was easy enough to stop by a kiosk and pick up a $10 set for the plane.
How often are you charging your phone? Do you have low battery anxiety? Lol. You do know that you don't have to replace your Bose earbuds, right? Are you constantly losing the USB charger or the charging cord? If not, why would you lose the dongle? And you have 5 chargers and cords?!

Anyways, it seems to me that the 7 is not for you. I just don't think no headphone jack is a big as a deal as people make it seem. It also quite nice to be able to move freely and use the headphones while the phone is charging too!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
How often are you charging your phone? Do you have low battery anxiety? Lol. You do know that you don't have to replace your Bose earbuds, right? Are you constantly losing the USB charger or the charging cord? If not, why would you lose the dongle? And you have 5 chargers and cords?!

Anyways, it seems to me that the 7 is not for you. I just don't think no headphone jack is a big as a deal as people make it seem. It also quite nice to be able to move freely and use the headphones while the phone is charging too!
To be fair, I plug my phone into power whenever I'm using navigation or Pandora in the car. That's probably an old habit from when I had pretty bad Android phones though.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 4:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Will still able to...

Predicting within a year or less, no headphone jack will be industry standard. Just like the removal of CD/DVD drives.

Agree but wireless audio quality is more than adequate for normal daily use. If you need/want optimal audio quality, why a smartphone?
Batterylife of the wireless headphones doesn't also diminish over time?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:14 am

Count me in...will get the 7, most likely in the piano black.

As for the lack of headphone jack, that's a good thing. Fewer cables is a good thing.
I don't get this line of reasoning. With any of the current crop of smartphones, cabled headphones are completely optional, so stating that "fewer cables is a good thing" isn't a compelling argument for Apple.

However, flexibility IS a good thing. If I want to use cabled headphones or the AUX input in a car or home receiver with my phone, I can, and I don't need a special adapter to do it.

And since my phone is a Samsung, I have the option of wireless charging via both the Powermat and Qi standards (oh, and via USB-C of course). As charging pads become more ubiquitous in coffee shops, airports, restaurants, hotels and of course homes, the "fewer cables" argument does become more compelling ... but not for choosing Apple.

My wife carries an iPhone 6s. She likes it a lot ... but I find that my Note 7 offers far more utility and versatility.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Batterylife of the wireless headphones doesn't also diminish over time?
Sure like any other rechargeable device.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The pattern of Apple removing features is pretty obvious. I doubt this one will be different:

1) OMG! I can't believe they removed Feature X!

2) Reviews come out saying "Maybe life without Feature X isn't so terrible after all." (iVerge already wrote one)

3) Within 6 months "Feature X is THE DEVIL!"

Also, somewhere in there claim that Apple invented the idea of removing the headphone jack.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I don't get this line of reasoning. With any of the current crop of smartphones, cabled headphones are completely optional, so stating that "fewer cables is a good thing" isn't a compelling argument for Apple.
Wired headphones remains optional on the 7. Why is more cables good?

However, flexibility IS a good thing. If I want to use cabled headphones or the AUX input in a car or home receiver with my phone, I can, and I don't need a special adapter to do it.
I use Bluetooth for my headphones, in the car and on my home receiver. Far much easier cordless. Use a cord to connect to those devices if you prefer.

And since my phone is a Samsung, I have the option of wireless charging via both the Powermat and Qi standards (oh, and via USB-C of course). As charging pads become more ubiquitous in coffee shops, airports, restaurants, hotels and of course homes, the "fewer cables" argument does become more compelling ... but not for choosing Apple.
Agree, wireless charging is needed on the 7.

My wife carries an iPhone 6s. She likes it a lot ... but I find that my Note 7 offers far more utility and versatility.
One should definitely use the smartphone best suited for him/herself.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Also, somewhere in there claim that Apple invented the idea of removing the headphone jack.
Don't forget that Apple did water resistance better than anyone else, too!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by thelark
Very courageous that AAPL, the current market leader in wireless headphones, would force its customer base to "upgrade" in that direction (or collect a royalty from every company that offers lightning headphones or adapters). The company that eschewed a stylus is now shipping a flagship product with a dongle.
In a few years, they will also get rid of the lightning port. The only way to charge your iPhone is thru Apple certified wireless charger. The only way to connect your headphones is thru iTooth wireless connection built into every Apple certified iTooth headphones.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's all please remember to keep it civil. Attack ideas, not people. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.