Wiki Posts
Search

Question about noise cancelling Headphones

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More, IHG,Hilton Honors
Question about noise cancelling Headphones

Im interested in picking up a set for my travels but my question is the following... do they really have any additional "side effect / benefit" like does the lack of engine/cabin noise (due to the noise cancellation) really help you not have that worn down tired feeling after a flight at the end of the day?

thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
While I understand WHY you're asking, I would suggest you're not going to get a legitimate response. It's rather like asking the question: How long is this ball of string?

The answer: It depends on the ball of string.

Noice cancellation has different benefits for different people. Some feel less tired. Some don't like the noise. Some like to be able to hear the movie. Some like active noise cancellation, some like passive. Some like earbuds, some like over-the-ear.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:30 am
Original Poster

I understand Boogie711, but you are mentioning that there are some benefits just that the mileage will vary according to the person. Let me be a bit more specific, Im interested in some bose q25 or q35. Now as I fly often I wanted to know if anyone who owns them sees any added benefits to having them other than the obvious functions of the set. Like less tired, less headaches etc.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
I personally find active noise cancelling head/earphones to leave me less tired than without, though YMMV. The drone of the engines seems to wear me down sensory wise. I've been using NC sets since 2001. I prefer earbuds versus headsets due primarily the size and for me ear comfort (heat). I currently use the Bose QC20.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:47 pm
KCZ

I find that I can sleep better with them on, so yes, I'm less tired at the end of the flight.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:17 am
Original Poster

thanks guys! thats great feedback. of course as always YMMV
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by kbrauneis
thanks guys! thats great feedback. of course as always YMMV
fly business/first class on an airline that provides NC-headphones onboard... why not test it before buying?

I have a cheapo set of sony NC earbuds, it makes it easier to hear the IFE and sleep. might upgrade to QC20 soon
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
fly business/first class on an airline that provides NC-headphones onboard... why not test it before buying?
LOL, seriously? Business/First isn't exactly free. I'd love to hear how this would be a cost-effective option for evaluating NC headphones ...
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
I was recently gifted the Bose QC35s and I quite enjoy using them (always with the cable). The active noise-cancelling ones help minimize the drone from the engines and also a decent portion of the ambient cabin noise.

It proved to be quite handy on a flight from AUH to JFK. There were no babies in my row but there were a few in my section of the cabin. Whenever they started crying, I could whip em out and block out enough noise to get some shut-eye. Admittedly, they are not usable if you sleep on your sides but since I don't, it's fine for me. Sound quality is alright as long as you're not an audiophile.

Having said that, sound isolating earphones are another option wherein you get much better sound quality and are a bit more comfy for sleeping on your sides. The good ones can get pricey fast.

If the only requirement is sleep, a set of industrial-grade earplugs might do the job much better and at a fraction of the cost.

Ro
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks Guys once again for the insights, I usually dont sleep on planes and simply carry earbuds with me but my ears get "sore" from using them so that is why I have considered on getting some over the ear set, I tried a set on and they seem very comfortable, I guess I will buy em and if they are not what I hope then I will sell them down the line.

thanks all!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:10 am

Thanks Guys once again for the insights, I usually dont sleep on planes and simply carry earbuds with me but my ears get "sore" from using them so that is why I have considered on getting some over the ear set, I tried a set on and they seem very comfortable, I guess I will buy em and if they are not what I hope then I will sell them down the line.

thanks all!
I think that overear/onear ones are too bulky for me (too big for my backpack, ears overheat, cant sleep on side easily)

For earbuds, I do like the stayhear tips design for Bose, think they're the only ones that fit me properly and stay without falling.
Is there a bose/BestBuy/? store near you with display models?

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
LOL, seriously? Business/First isn't exactly free. I'd love to hear how this would be a cost-effective option for evaluating NC headphones ...
if you can't sense scarcasm... :P

stack on some UR/MR/TYP redemption for premium cabin travel
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
if you can't sense scarcasm... :P
I can sense sarcasm just fine when its used in an appropriate context. What I can't figure out though is why someone would respond to a perfectly legitimate question with sarcasm.

Consider using a smiley or two next time.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anecdotally, my wife and I (she with QC-15s, me with QC-25s) both agree that we arrive more rested and relaxed. As for side-effects, I have heard that some people have problems with active NC phones -- nausea and vertigo. Also, not all phones are created equal -- some clamp too tight and cause discomfort and headaches, on-ear phones exert pressure on the ear which can be painful, etc.

Again, anecdotally, I find my Bose QC-25 phones exceedingly comfortable on long flights. They also provide the best noise-cancelling by far.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I will admit that I'm a Bose fan for the most part. For more than 20 years I've had Bose speakers in my home, have the X10 aviation headset, and have the QC 15's for day to day travel. On the rare occasion my wife travels with me, I usually borrow another set of QC 15's from a friend for my wife's use. I tried taking my X10's once, but between the bulk of them, and the questions from the FA's because they see the obvious mic, I no longer waste my time with them.

Previous to the QC 15's, I had the on ear 10's. While they performed well, my ears would hurt a little after a couple of hours of use. I actually like the smaller package of them, but comfort trumps space for me. Since I tend to upgrade phones often, I will likely pick up the QC 35's if the rumors are true about the iPhone 7 not having a headphone jack.

Each person is different, but I find the in ear devices very uncomfortable, even though I'm a side sleeper. So for actual sleep I remove the headphones and simply use ear plugs from a comfort standpoint. Even my in ear Bluetooth that I use when driving is a problem for me. In fact I think my ears have a auto eject feature and for the life of me I can't keep them in after an hour or so.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Im interested in picking up a set for my travels but my question is the following... do they really have any additional "side effect / benefit" like does the lack of engine/cabin noise (due to the noise cancellation) really help you not have that worn down tired feeling after a flight at the end of the day?
I own one of the older Bose wired NC headphones. Because it does nullify the engine noise, I'm able fall asleep quicker and for a longer period of time. Because of that, I do feel less tired during the breakfast service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.