Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Server Hardware Recommendations

Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Planning to move from my old Server 2008 R2 & Exchange 2010 box at home to Server 2012 R2 & Exchange 2016. Current box will not support x64 architecture. I have typically salvaged my servers from retired boxes at work for low cost, but nothing right now that will meet my needs.

Looking for a box on the cheap--like pre-owned Dell or something--with small form factor to hide inside the media tower.

Minimum 16GB mem, but would prefer ability for 32GB. HDD can be 128GB (so SSD is ok). OS is irrelevant since I will wipe it clean and start over.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been using a cheap HP tower as a home server for a few years now.

If you want an actual server, Supermicro makes nice ones that aren't particularly spendy.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:48 am

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...=28&l=en&s=dfb

dell outlet is pretty good (refurb/scratch&dent), they often have discounts/coupons too

not sure what your specs are.. maybe look at NUC if small box is useful?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...major-upgrade/

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 2, 2016 at 1:34 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may want to look at a Intel NUC. I'm using a Intel NUC6i7KYK for my Plex home media server and am very happy with it.

This model uses a i7-6770HQ processor. I've maxed it out at 32GB of ram, and have it setup as RAID 1 with two 1TB M.2 SSDs.

If you go that route, you buy the NUC, and add in the OS, ram, and HDs. It's about the size of a paperback book and is fairly quiet.

If you don't need that much power Intel does make cheaper/less powerful NUCs.

Last edited by wr_schwab; Aug 2, 2016 at 2:28 pm Reason: Grammer
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by oneant
Planning to move from my old Server 2008 R2 & Exchange 2010 box at home to Server 2012 R2 & Exchange 2016. Current box will not support x64 architecture.
Fairly certain Win 2008R2 only came in 64-bit editions.

Another place to look is off-lease servers on dellrefurbished.com . It is run by Dell Financial Services and typically features 2-4 year old equipment. They often have 50% off coupons so keep an eye out for them on deal sites.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wr_schwab
You may want to look at a Intel NUC. I'm using a Intel NUC6i7KYK for my plex home media server and am very happy with it.

This model uses a i7-6770HQ processor. I've maxed it out at 32GB of ram, and have it setup as RAID 1 with two 1TB M.2 SSDs.

If you go that route, you buy the NUC, and add in the OS, ram, and HDs.

It's about the size of a paperback book and if fairly quiet.

If you don't need that much power Intel does make cheaper/less powerful NUCs.
That looks just about right! What was the total price point, if you don't mind divulging that?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:24 pm

That looks just about right! What was the total price point, if you don't mind divulging that?
$700 for NUC (i7 HQ) + ram + m.2 SSD

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...omparison.html
http://www.intel.com/buy/us/en/catalog/components/nuc

different versions, DIY (aka add your own memory/hdd)

gigabyte/... has their own version
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=-1&isNodeId=1

probably way too many choices

just note that they don't have as much cooling/support/fallback/RAID as a typical server build

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 2, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msb0b

Another place to look is off-lease servers on dellrefurbished.com . It is run by Dell Financial Services and typically features 2-4 year old equipment. They often have 50% off coupons so keep an eye out for them on deal sites.
You are correct--been so long since I discovered the lack of h/w requirement in the rig for Server 2012...trying to initiate an install again now to get a reminder.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:52 pm

You are correct--been so long since I discovered the lack of h/w requirement in the rig for Server 2012...trying to initiate an install again now to get a reminder.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/51182

just note that there may be minor issues (like the ones above).. not good for a "production" server, but if you're willing to manually fix it on your own, sure

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...oards+and+kits
NUC6i7KYK officially supports 2012 R2, so you get the drivers and everything

official rigs (sold by Dell, or parts like Supermicro) have their own certification process for Server 12/R2
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by msb0b
That is right. The last 32-bit Windows Server was the Vista based 2008. The Windows 7 based 2008 R2 is 64-bit only.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got it from Newegg. The total for everything (except the OS) was 1247.55

It broke down as:
Intel NUC NUC6i7KYK 649.99
2 Kingston Value Ram 16GB 260pin DDR4 SO-DIMM 117.98
2 Sandisk SD8SN8U 1TB m.2 SSD - 479.58
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Can I ask why you need/desire to run an Exchange server out of your home?

I used to do it too, but with cloud Exchange running a total of $10/month for the two mailboxes I needed, it is much cheaper than hardware + electricity + licensing... if you're licensing Server 2012 R2 and Exchange properly, the cost of those alone exceeds $1k.

Last edited by javabytes; Aug 2, 2016 at 5:49 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Can I ask why you need/desire to run an Exchange server out of your home?

I used to do it too, but with cloud Exchange running a total of $10/month for the two mailboxes I needed, it is much cheaper than hardware + electricity + licensing... if you're licensing Server 2012 R2 and Exchange properly, the cost of those alone exceeds $1k.
Started a long time ago, when I used it as a lab environment for the most part. Then moved into it personally, started hosting other services for various functions I needed/wanted, and it stuck. I am ok with the cost when I control the entire environment from AD to IIS to VPN to Exchange, etc.

I long since moved on from netadmin stuff, but I still tinker.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
For less than $500 you can find dual E5-2670 1U or 2U servers on eBay. Very very hard to find a better value. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZT-2U-Storag...-/152186550866 this thing even has an LSI RAID controller in it! Or http://www.ebay.com/itm/1U-Rackmount...UAAOSwzJ5XYegy this one still under $500 comes with an SSD to boot. Hope you have a basement to hide it though because these are loud.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:31 am
Original Poster

That price point is good, but noise is an issue as I need to be able to tuck it into (preferable) or behind the media tower.

I think I will go with the NUC6i7KYK. Wife works for Intel and it appears their discount prices it at $476.

Thanks all!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.