Wiki Posts
Search

Plug converter, USB charger, Power strip: MOGICS Bagel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Plug converter, USB charger, Power strip: MOGICS Bagel

This was a Kickstarter and the thing is here today and it's really nice, everything is as promised: it's a roughly 4 inch radius, 1 inch thick power strip with four universal sockets, a fifth US only socket, two USB ports and a 3ft long cable with a US power plug and a brilliant little universal socket adapter. The printed specs: 83mm diameter, 31mm height, 92cm cable length, 118gr weight. The USB ports share 2A.

The socket adapter is so small that it fits inside a grounded Schuko socket, that's a brilliant trick making it the smallest EU-AU-UK adapter I've ever seen. The UK leg is rotated out, very very crafty.

I made a photo review of it https://goo.gl/photos/PaFnNV7Tx4iJts9p6 here are a couple notes:
  1. The short USB cable is not included in the price but buying it gave me free shipping. Useful filler, essentially.
  2. The big black thing I used for sizing the box is a VESA monitor blackplate, shows very effectively the box is indeed about 4 inches as the holes are 100mm apart. The other thing for box size comparison is a DVD player I pulled from a T420s.
  3. Have patience to figure it out, the instructions are good. Do not force it. In particular the cord does need to be rotated to get it out and the red button on the converter adapter is the lock you need to press the get the plugs back down. It's easier to see / use in normal usage than for review because you won't have multiple plugs pulled out normally.
  4. I plugged in a Wonpro Nano and a classic iPhone charger (knockoff, I think) to give you a better feeling than "one inch" thickness.

Closing thoughts: so far I considered the RW47BK the best travel power strip, it's much thinner at 19mm but once you add their (rightly famous) RW101 universal plug converter and a two port USB charger, the Bagel is much smaller. Also, weight wise the RW47BK alone is 120gr, already heavier than the Bagel. And this has 4+1 sockets instead of 3 and a longer cord. The Voltage Vallet PS2 also comes to mind as a good power strip but it's for grounded adapters and adapting it internationally is a nightmare.

You can buy yours at http://www.mogics.com/?page_id=28

Finally, because the Internet is about cats, bonus cat pic from Vancouver Catfe https://goo.gl/photos/itJmjig7V8XKJxPJ7

Last edited by chx1975; Jul 23, 2016 at 12:55 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:56 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus LH Senator (yes, two *A programs. Go figure)
So, to conclude, what are you taking to your next trip?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
I have one - compact and provides many outlets as well as 2xUSB. I later ordered the bluetooth speaker and light with headlamp kit. All products are tiny and functional.

Shipping was a little funky (no real tracking or email order confirmation) but everything came in a week or two.

As someone with something of an obsession with ever-smaller usb chargers and cables, I think this one is a home run.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My concern here would be whether my phone and tablet would really charge at 2 amps via USB?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by potjernik
So, to conclude, what are you taking to your next trip?
Definitely the Bagel. It's a win all around.
As someone with something of an obsession with ever-smaller usb chargers and cables, I think this one is a home run
Welcome to the club

Last edited by chx1975; Jul 20, 2016 at 8:53 pm
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

I just realized you can actually plug the whole thing into the wall in EU/UK/AU as the plug converter can be engaged and then put back in the middle and it's engineered to do this because there's a notch on the bottom to accomodate the UK leg being open. I do not think you can do it in the US but that's OK. I have changed the album URL in the first post to include this.

Last edited by chx1975; Jul 23, 2016 at 12:56 pm
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:50 pm

How much does the mogics bagel weigh?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
My concern here would be whether my phone and tablet would really charge at 2 amps via USB?
2A is good for a phone USB charger, no?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Warning about Mogics. I ordered this thing almost two months ago. They issued a fake AWB number within 48 hours, and gave incorrect or false information at every turn, cagey answers at best. They do not seem like a reputable company. I cancelled the order after six weeks and reported them to Paypal. I understand they gave similar answers to Paypal. Be warned.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The comments on it at their site indicate that it has performed poorly in Europe. It's available via Amazon, which would be easier as far as dispute resolution is concerned.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and on Amazon it says delivery between the 7th and 26th of October. Seems that they either have a fulfillment or quality problem. What I can tell you is that they flat out lied to me, three times and then went silent. Be careful.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
After studying this thread, and looking at Amazon reviews, I went and ordered this one:

Arrived next day.

Haven't tried it on a trip yet but it's about 1/4 the weight and space of the domestic power strip I've been carrying.

With 2 x 2A USB ports , 2 x 1A, and one universal socket, it should be good enough for laptop and phone/tablet/kindle/powerpack charging.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus LH Senator (yes, two *A programs. Go figure)
I now have MOGICS Bagel for 2 months (this one http://www.mogics.com/?page_id=4287), bought it after reading OP recommendation and I honestly do not know how I lived without it.

Last edited by potjernik; Sep 28, 2016 at 4:53 am Reason: credited OP
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Me neither. It's a very neat solution to all the usual problems.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Another vote for the Mogics Bagel -- I was a Kickstarter backer and I don't travel overseas without it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.