Wiki Posts
Search

Chromecast - watching videos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Chromecast - watching videos

Bought a Chromecast thinking it would easily allow me to watch films etc from my windows & chrome laptop, windows tablet and phone on my tv but nope.
Managed to get one jerky video from my phone after installing and logging into numerous apps / Wi-Fi etc.
If it's not a window / tab in Chrome, forget it.

Is there a way as every search for info results in nothing useful or it just doesn't work.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:39 pm

I tried the same but couldn't find anything that works good, it is most likely just easier to connect your laptop directly to a TV, an adapter from whatever video output port you have on your laptop to HDMI shouldn't cost too much.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Which apps are you trying to stream with? I've owned a Chromecast for almost three years and have had no problem with casting Netflix, Hulu, and Google Play Movies from a whole bunch of devices (Android phones and tablets, plus desktop Chrome on Windows, Mac, and Linux).
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
Which apps are you trying to stream with? I've owned a Chromecast for almost three years and have had no problem with casting Netflix, Hulu, and Google Play Movies from a whole bunch of devices (Android phones and tablets, plus desktop Chrome on Windows, Mac, and Linux).
But casting video from applications that are built to do that such as Netflix is different to casting videos that you have on your laptop.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by Ditto
But casting video from applications that are built to do that such as Netflix is different to casting videos that you have on your laptop.
Airflow works great for casting videos to chromecast and handles every codec I've needed.

http://airflowapp.com/
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Install Videostream - first the Chrome Extension, and then the mobile app (technically the Chrome thing is a Chrome App, but you add it the same way you add extensions)

Allows you to stream moving from your PC, and control the playback using your phone (or, obviously, the PC).

The only catch is that as is always the case with Chromecast, you need a functioning internet connection, which if you're trying this in a hotel means a travel router or something similar.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Own & use 2 Chromecast at home and travel with one - but hotel with slow wireless WiFi only (no ethernet port access becoming more common) is a PITA.

Easy workaround lately is the dual band Roku Streaming Stick (2016) - when the WiFi speed is usable ... tweaked video output to 720 dpi also helped (via Roku's settings)

Roku stick's feature (advantage over Chromecast) - Hotel & Dorm Connect made it easy to use a smartphone or tablet (iOS or Android) to setup the WiFi/access the log-on screen - without going thru one's own hotspot/router settings. Youtube works nicely where Vudu still had issues connecting ... slow & fair connection not helping.

Picked this up over CyberMonday via Amazon at 50% off & free shipping - leaving the HDMI cable at home. Adapter output is rated at 5V @1.5 amp with a 5' micro-usb cable but using HDTV's available USB, it powered up the Roku just fine (Chromecast is 5V @0.8 amp).

Firefox mobile browser on iPhone 5S provide for easier search, including voice and to cast to the HDTV - and, there is a Roku Remote App to download & use for free instead of the included Remote (in case 2x AAA battery run out while on the go.)

With a # of private channels, can't believe I am watching quite a # of USA and international channel free ... with the occassional hiccup or screen freezing, but for less than $30 - it's a good buy. Waiting for the free HDMI short extension ordered & being shipped free - to make those behind the TV connection a little easier & to position it away for better signal acquisition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.