Wiki Posts
Search

Preventing Windows 10 from installing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Preventing Windows 10 from installing

Like pretty much everybody here, I got the magic upgrade (KB3035583) and the little window icon. I didn't go for it right away and it just mostly sat there.

I did download it to one machine, and decided I would wait a while before jumping in on the rest.

Anyhow, I dug out a laptop I hadn't used in a couple of months, intending to just download the upgrades I had missed, just to keep it up to date. After a long while, I had a good handful of upgrades, including the 2+Gb Win10 upgrade. I immediately made it a "hidden" upgrade, selected the upgrades I wanted, and clicked "install".

The first thing it starts to to is download Windows 10. I stopped it, and tried again. No luck - it keeps wanting to install it.

So, off to google. It seems what it's doing is downloading the entire thing so that when you "see the light", you can install it quickly. Thanks a lot.

I went back and uninstalled the magic upgrade, and sure enough the little window icon disappeared. However, it still wants to download Win 10.

I have't had this problem (yet!) with any of my other machines but I think it might be just a matter of time.

Has anyone figured out a (simple) way to prevent it from downloading the OS? I ran into a couple of fixes, including registry hacks and the like, but I was wondering if there were a simpler straightforward way of keeping Microsoft at bay.

If I'm forced, I can just re-install Win 7 and not install the offending upgrade, but I was hoping for a more reasonable solution.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:12 pm

The official (over-complicated) Microsoft way to disable the nagware:
https://www.bit.ly/no-gwx

The UNofficial (easy) way to disable the nagware: GWX Control Panel
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

While you are at it, consider installing Spybot Anti-Beacon. It disables all(?) the spyware that Microsoft has introduced into Win 7, 8 and 10:
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Last edited by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7; Feb 21, 2016 at 12:58 pm
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by BigLar
Like pretty much everybody here, I got the magic upgrade (KB3035583) and the little window icon. I didn't go for it right away and it just mostly sat there.

I did download it to one machine, and decided I would wait a while before jumping in on the rest.

Anyhow, I dug out a laptop I hadn't used in a couple of months, intending to just download the upgrades I had missed, just to keep it up to date. After a long while, I had a good handful of upgrades, including the 2+Gb Win10 upgrade. I immediately made it a "hidden" upgrade, selected the upgrades I wanted, and clicked "install".

The first thing it starts to to is download Windows 10. I stopped it, and tried again. No luck - it keeps wanting to install it.

So, off to google. It seems what it's doing is downloading the entire thing so that when you "see the light", you can install it quickly. Thanks a lot.

I went back and uninstalled the magic upgrade, and sure enough the little window icon disappeared. However, it still wants to download Win 10.

I have't had this problem (yet!) with any of my other machines but I think it might be just a matter of time.

Has anyone figured out a (simple) way to prevent it from downloading the OS? I ran into a couple of fixes, including registry hacks and the like, but I was wondering if there were a simpler straightforward way of keeping Microsoft at bay.

If I'm forced, I can just re-install Win 7 and not install the offending upgrade, but I was hoping for a more reasonable solution.
I chose this path and I think it is very simple:
1)Press Win+R and write: gpedit.msc and Press Enter
2)Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update.
3)Locate the “Configure Automatic Updates” setting in the right pane and double-click it.
4)In the window you can choose what you need

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.