Search

Android PDF Scanner?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Android PDF Scanner?

Can anyone recommend a decent PDF scanner for free for Android?

CamScan only allows sharing via email on the free version
ScanBot quality is terrible
Office Lens quality leaves what to be desired, and is a hassle to deal with

I want to scan PDFs and save to OneDrive, but it's almost like Microsoft wants me not to. At least with Google Drive, it's simple - go where you want to save the document, upload via scan, and voila. With OneDrive, it seems anything but simple
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:26 pm

I have always liked Handy Scanner. Realize you want a good free option, but FWIW I got the Pro version after trying the free version, which limits you to only 20 scanned documents or so with something like five pages each; ads of course and a watermark on scans if I recall. Free is probably good only for trying out the app for someone with regular needs. The Pro version has been well worth the price, which I think I got for half the usual $4 during a Play Store sale. I don't use OneDrive for scans but I just noticed it does automated uploads there if you want that. Image quality and other aspects are great in Pro. Good luck.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If I have to pay for a pro version, I would. But based on the free options, I don't yet see them worth the money to upgrade.

I'll try Handy - thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:19 am

Not what you asked but I have found CamScanner Pro to be fantastic. I hardly ever spend money on apps but this was well worth the $1.99 IMO.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coolers
Not what you asked but I have found CamScanner Pro to be fantastic. I hardly ever spend money on apps but this was well worth the $1.99 IMO.
Absolutely what I asked for!

In Pro, does it remove the ad at the bottom of all scans? And can I upload directly to OneDrive with pro?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by joshwex90

In Pro, does it remove the ad at the bottom of all scans? And can I upload directly to OneDrive with pro?
You have a grace period to return apps purchased from the Play market. It varies by vendor, so you should check before you click. Usually it's 24 hours.

Any vendor who did not remove ads from their paid software would be rewarded with nearly 100% 1-star reviews.

My advice: pay the two bucks and try the app.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
No idea about the OneDrive integration, but when I needed something in a pinch, the free version of GeniusScan was sufficient.

Since then, there is now free support for scanning in the Google Drive app. This clearly won't work for the OneDrive part, but it seems good enough from some light use:
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/3145835?hl=en
Old Jan 31, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ajGoes
You have a grace period to return apps purchased from the Play market. It varies by vendor, so you should check before you click. Usually it's 24 hours.
https://support.google.com/googlepla...79637?hl=en-CA two hours always. More than that, yes, varies, but I find two hours plenty. I hated when it was 15 minutes (it was raised in 2014 Sep) because that just leads to slap-dash panic clicking around to see whether it's any good. In reality usually I am done evaluating well before 15 min but it still felt really short.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:10 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by Coolers
I used the free version and it was quite good.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
+1

I've been using the free version for a few years now (I didn't even know there was a paid version), and it works great, including exporting to almost every exportable app on my phone.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:40 pm

Another CamScanner user +1
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nkedel
No idea about the OneDrive integration, but when I needed something in a pinch, the free version of GeniusScan was sufficient.

Since then, there is now free support for scanning in the Google Drive app. This clearly won't work for the OneDrive part, but it seems good enough from some light use:
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/3145835?hl=en
I've found GeniusScan to not be so great. CamScan was always much better (but my questions about the Pro version).

Google Drive option is great, and I use it for receipts and stuff. I just wish OneDrive had a similar option!

I'd switch, but OneDrive integrates so nicely with Windows, and I get 1TB (plus a few extra GB) whereas Google gives me 15 GB, and the paid option is "only" 100 GB. Not bad at all, but I still prefer OneDrive. Just wish it had this functionality that I rely on with Google!

Originally Posted by chx1975
https://support.google.com/googlepla...79637?hl=en-CA two hours always. More than that, yes, varies, but I find two hours plenty. I hated when it was 15 minutes (it was raised in 2014 Sep) because that just leads to slap-dash panic clicking around to see whether it's any good. In reality usually I am done evaluating well before 15 min but it still felt really short.
Good to know - I remember it being 15 minutes, which was never enough at all. 2 hours does remove the pressure - thanks

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Originally Posted by bocastephen
+1

I've been using the free version for a few years now (I didn't even know there was a paid version), and it works great, including exporting to almost every exportable app on my phone.
What can you export to on CamScanner free? I've only been able to export to Gmail. Are you both on Android?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:15 am

No ads. I've never personally tried it, but yes, there is native support for uploading to OneDrive, Google Drive, Box (among others). I personally use it in conjunction with Dropbox.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For those saying CamScanner costs $1.99, where are you seeing that?

All I'm seeing are $4.99/month or $49.99/year as a subscription. I'd really rather not subscribe. I don't mind paying, but would prefer one-time paying over paying every single month
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:10 am

Camscanner works nice, but they have only online OCR, so it always requires an internet connection.

For those saying CamScanner costs $1.99, where are you seeing that?

All I'm seeing are $4.99/month or $49.99/year as a subscription. I'd really rather not subscribe. I don't mind paying, but would prefer one-time paying over paying every single month

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.