Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Will Apple partner with Rolex to produce a high end Apple Watch ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Watches are a fashion statement and status symbol.

Whilst the Apple watch is cool, those who are used to wearing Rolexes and other high end watches won't want to downgrade their brand for the technology

Apple should partner with Rolex and produce high quality gold Dual branded Apple/Rolex watches

There would be a market for 5K quality timepieces
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Peterpack
Which would be out of date in 2 years.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Rolex prides themselves on the perpetual motion. The older Swiss companies will likely not embrace Apple.

Other brands like Chanel, Gucci, etc should be able to make a good tie-up.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I wind my Rolex, it does not even have a automatic movement,

Apple my copy a Rolex, many other companies have.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Which would be out of date in 2 years.
They can have a set up where the inner tech workings section can be replaced easily
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Peterpack
Watches are a fashion statement and status symbol.

Whilst the Apple watch is cool, those who are used to wearing Rolexes and other high end watches won't want to downgrade their brand for the technology

Apple should partner with Rolex and produce high quality gold Dual branded Apple/Rolex watches

Apple might want that partnership, Rolex isn't exactly losing money. A watch only good for a few years would probably weaken the brand a lot, too, without any major benefits (whoever can afford a Rolex can afford a Rolex and an iWatch).
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
The thing to remember is that the high-end market that were buying the $17k Apple Edition watch are not the people that like a Rolex or type of watch you or I would keep for 20 years.

The people that were buying them (and a lot were being bought in Asia) were the types that have no issues with spending $10k on a dress that only gets worn a few times. Think about how many $100k++ cars are bought that deprecate in half in just a few years and they go out and buy another.

A fashionable and recognizable watch like the Apple one even at $17k and only worn a few times or for one year is well within the "norm" to these folks, which isn't imaginable by many of us. There was both a scarcity issue with that model and a progressive "hip" element to it. Anyone can walk into almost any shopping mall in America and buy a rolex.

If another (newer) model comes out two years later, they will buy another one. It's hard to get your head around it, but that is how it works out there. The money flow is endless and having the "latest" accessory that separates you from the have-nots is all-important.

Source: I work directly in this marketplace and with these buyers.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:47 am

I can't see Rolex partnering up with Apple in the foreseeable future. I would argue that the Brands are too far apart. With that said I think I read somewhere that Tag Heuer was looking at taking a dive into the digital watch realm. That be more of a match.

On another note, I could not agree more that watches are more of a fashion accessory these days than functional device. I have friends that wear watches but when I ask them the time they check their phones. sigh.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
No need to partner with an old world company producing collectible mechanical marvels.

Perhaps Apple just needs to expand their Watch Edition lineup to include some extra value-add - some silicon complications?

Or maybe they just need some gaudy bling - adding some diamonds would help in this area.

Or maybe they could just make them bigger - Panerai-sized? This would also help with battery life...
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:44 pm

There's not enough money in it for either Rolex or Apple to bother with a collaboration. I can see fashion houses like Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, etc., following Hermes' lead and making straps, though.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:54 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by AltaBound
I can't see Rolex partnering up with Apple in the foreseeable future. I would argue that the Brands are too far apart. With that said I think I read somewhere that Tag Heuer was looking at taking a dive into the digital watch realm. That be more of a match.

On another note, I could not agree more that watches are more of a fashion accessory these days than functional device. I have friends that wear watches but when I ask them the time they check their phones. sigh.
Already available :-

http://www.tagheuerconnected.com/product
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Chanel and LV might make a strap or two,

People who own Rolexes and other brands own several, and plan on passing them on.

Seems like every year they need polisher, costing sometime more than an Apple Watch.

As for Apple Watches, any one seen what happened to TV Prices, down down,,,
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Ha - I was going to suggest that if you were looking for a "high end" watch brand that's actually just a marketing company that real watch enthusiast scoff at, to partner with Apple, you should be on the lookout for Tag.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Don't forget that Apple and Hermes already have a collaboration watch.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope not...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.