Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Roaming: foreign number mistakenly charged as +1

I have Verizon Travel Pass. The $10 daily (24-hour) charge includes all outgoing calls within that country and back to the U.S.

I was in Vienna and called my hotel using my iPhone and dialed +43 1 XXXXXXX. My phone said it lasted 1 minute and Verizon said 2 minutes, so it was a real call and not a misconnect.

Then I was billed $0.98 for a 2-minute call to 431-XXX-XXXX which is an Austin, Manitoba, Canada number.

When I called customer service to get refunded, I also requested a report be made to the appropriate department.

Anyone here on any U.S./Canada carrier who has experienced this kind of billing mistake?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Analise
I went to 2 Verizon stores to verify that calls made within the UK using the Verizon Travel Pass would be included in the $10/24 hour period. In both stores, I heard "Yes, they should."

Should? I told the customer service people that our domestic plan included unlimited calls within the US; the UK was not included. The agents said they know and that the $10 fee "should" include all calls made within UK.

If I can't get verification from Verizon employees, where do I get it?
I had the same question before I took a trip to Ireland earlier this year and when I called I got a similarly ambiguous answer. But I wasn't charged anything other than the flat fee for calls made within country while I was there. I didn't make any calls to the US but I did send/receive texts and there were no extra charges.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I have Verizon Travel Pass. The $10 daily (24-hour) charge includes all outgoing calls within that country and back to the U.S.

I was in Vienna and called my hotel using my iPhone and dialed +43 1 XXXXXXX. My phone said it lasted 1 minute and Verizon said 2 minutes, so it was a real call and not a misconnect.

Then I was billed $0.98 for a 2-minute call to 431-XXX-XXXX which is an Austin, Manitoba, Canada number.

When I called customer service to get refunded, I also requested a report be made to the appropriate department.

Anyone here on any U.S./Canada carrier who has experienced this kind of billing mistake?
I've used TravelPass before and have yet to have that type of billing error. Having said that, I can easily imagine it happening. You said you called to request a refund. Did they actually refund the charge?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Travelpass is now available in Japan at $10/day.

Discovered this by accident yesterday after turning on roaming prior to swapping SIMs. Was expecting the taxi meter billing texts but was pleasantly surprised to get the Travelpass one instead.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by QtownDave
Does this work per device or account? I usually travel with an iPad 4g and a iphone. Both are on the same account but have separate phone numbers. Can you use both for the same $10 or is it $10 for each?
How about using the Hotspot feature on the phone to share the plan with your ipad?

will this work while international? Would there be an additional cost from Verizon?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bukzin
How about using the Hotspot feature on the phone to share the plan with your ipad?

will this work while international? Would there be an additional cost from Verizon?
No additional cost the times I've done this, but speeds can be on the slower end, which is further reduced when you're sharing with multiple devices.

Generally when Mrs. Lee and I travel together, we use Travelpass on one phone only, and then connect the other phone to it via hotspot if we need two devices for some reason. If we're separated for some reason, this just means the person not using Travelpass has to find wifi somewhere...or occasionally shell out $10 for that day in a pinch. Still, this strategy saves ~$100 per 2 week trip.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Is there any way to disable Travelpass on-line / without calling in to Verizon? (The option drop-down box on the international travel plans page doesn't allow for removing Travelpass - only adding it.)
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by gengar
Is there any way to disable Travelpass on-line / without calling in to Verizon? (The option drop-down box on the international travel plans page doesn't allow for removing Travelpass - only adding it.)
You could disable roaming on your phone and that would prevent you from connecting. But honestly I'd leave travelpass on even if I didn't think I needed it. I'd rather pay $5/$10 because I accidentally connected than paying whatever the pay as you go fee would be, since it would probably be a whole lot more.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Zeeb
You could disable roaming on your phone and that would prevent you from connecting. But honestly I'd leave travelpass on even if I didn't think I needed it. I'd rather pay $5/$10 because I accidentally connected than paying whatever the pay as you go fee would be, since it would probably be a whole lot more.
For me the problem is SMS, not data. I already have a phone/SIM for some of the countries I visit, but even when I am primarily using a different phone/SIM, I still want to see texts sent to my Verizon phone without being charged $10/day (since that is far more than the payg roaming SMS will cost).
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
For me the problem is SMS, not data. I already have a phone/SIM for some of the countries I visit, but even when I am primarily using a different phone/SIM, I still want to see texts sent to my Verizon phone without being charged $10/day (since that is far more than the payg roaming SMS will cost).
The Verizon Message+ app works over WiFi. Simply disable roaming and send/receive your messages via WiFi.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My recollection is that incoming texts wouldn't trigger the daily usage; only outgoing ones. Should be confirmed, of course.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
My recollection is that incoming texts wouldn't trigger the daily usage; only outgoing ones. Should be confirmed, of course.
They do. When roaming, pay as you go is $0.05 incoming and $0.50 outgoing. If you have Travel Pass, and in the included countries, you will be charged $10/$5 even if you block data roaming.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
They do. When roaming, pay as you go is $0.05 incoming and $0.50 outgoing. If you have Travel Pass, and in the included countries, you will be charged $10/$5 even if you block data roaming.
Interesting. That's a change, then.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
The Verizon Message+ app works over WiFi. Simply disable roaming and send/receive your messages via WiFi.
Still inconvenient to have to be on wifi just to know I've received SMS without incurring a $10/day fee...

I did contact Verizon customer service about the issue but got no further than form letter responses, so looks like I'll just have to keep calling in every time.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:56 am

Is theVerizon Message+ app still useful while international?

Will it work on local wifi if I dont have a data plan?

Thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.