Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:17 pm

A good friend is taking his wife to Europe in a month or so. He's not on Flyertalk but he is a Verizon customer. They're flying in to London and then to Rome, where they will do a cruise for a couple of weeks that eventually ends up somewhere in Spain. The return flight is from London as well.

IME renting a MiFi device can be good, but I've never been to Europe, so I can't help him. Would it be possible to rent a MiFi device, say at LHR, which would work throughout their trip? Or would they be better off paying Verizon for a travelpass?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
A good friend is taking his wife to Europe in a month or so. He's not on Flyertalk but he is a Verizon customer. They're flying in to London and then to Rome, where they will do a cruise for a couple of weeks that eventually ends up somewhere in Spain. The return flight is from London as well.

IME renting a MiFi device can be good, but I've never been to Europe, so I can't help him. Would it be possible to rent a MiFi device, say at LHR, which would work throughout their trip? Or would they be better off paying Verizon for a travelpass?
You can probably rent a mifi device, but the cheapest option will be to get a local SIM card. Check the Pan European and UK SIM threads for current details. Last time I was in the UK (2012) I got a 3 SIM that cost something like £20 for unlimited data for 30 days, including some kind of European roaming ability.

Easiest is just to pay Verizon for the Travelpass.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MaxBuck

I'd recommend you also confirm all this with Verizon customer service to verify nothing's changed from my experience a couple of months ago.
I went to 2 Verizon stores to verify that calls made within the UK using the Verizon Travel Pass would be included in the $10/24 hour period. In both stores, I heard "Yes, they should."

Should? I told the customer service people that our domestic plan included unlimited calls within the US; the UK was not included. The agents said they know and that the $10 fee "should" include all calls made within UK.

If I can't get verification from Verizon employees, where do I get it?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
This is something you'll have to call to confirm.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Analise
Should? I told the customer service people that our domestic plan included unlimited calls within the US; the UK was not included. The agents said they know and that the $10 fee "should" include all calls made within UK.
It worked for me in Mexico, France and Portugal. It worked for my sister in France and Israel. There is no reason it shouldn't work for you.

If you insist on talking to someone knowledgeable at Verizon, call their global support number, 908-559-4899.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: Delta
The TravelPass FAQ on the Verizon site says that the flat per-day fee covers calls to the US from the TravelPass country you're in, or calls to the TravelPass country you're in. So if you're in the UK, calls to other numbers within the UK should be covered by minutes from your domestic plan.

I can confirm that this is how TravelPass worked for me in India. A few calls I made to Indian phone numbers (mobile and landline) did not result in any additional charges beyond the $10 daily fee.

Note that to actually call any non-US number you will need to first enable international calling on your phone through Verizon.

Also, to address a question raised earlier, the TravelPass fee only kicks in when the phone actually uses data, call time, or text messages. No fee is incurred if the phone is simply turned on in airplane mode or wi-fi only. With the number of apps that use background data on a typical smartphone you can be sure you'll be charged because of data use the minute you turn on cellular data service, though, even if you don't get any calls. You could turn off data and leave the phone on for text messages and calls, although of course then you're sort of at the mercy of anyone who may decide to call you at any point.

IMO, this all gets to be a bit of a nuisance to manage and not cost-effective for more than a few days' travel. My solution was to switch to Google Fi for longer trips, and tether my Verizon phone to the Google Fi phone if I needed access to any apps that I simply could not just move to and use on the other phone (e.g., WhatsApp).
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:38 pm

Note that to actually call any non-US number you will need to first enable international calling on your phone through Verizon.
I called Verizon's global assist customer service (or whatever they call themselves) and NO ONE told me that. In fact the agent emailed me this while we were on the phone:

About Your Apple iPhone SE

Your device will work in England and Gibraltar.

However, you must check the device settings for use outside the U.S.
Go to Settings > Cellular (Cellular Data must be On) > Cellular Data Options > Roaming

Switch Voice Roaming On (green) and Data Roaming On (green). Voice or Data can be turned Off (white) if needed.

Turn International CDMA Off (white).

Power the device off and then back on after any changes OR when entering a country/cruise ship.

Messaging notes

If sending messages to other Apple devices and iMessage is enabled, messages are billed as data.

If you receive Message Delivery Failed errors, enable Send as SMS in Message settings.

More info

To turn off ALL cellular network service, switch Airplane Mode On (green) in Settings. You can still use Wi-Fi with this option.

If you use Wi-Fi, we recommend disabling Wi-Fi Assist in Settings > Cellular. Scroll down to see this option. This applies to iOS 9 and above.

TravelPass: use your domestic plan allowances for a daily fee

Per line/day Available Countries Allowance

$10 England and Gibraltar Uses Domestic Talk, Message, and Data

A 24 hour session starts when you place or answer a call, send a text or use data in a TravelPass country.

This includes background data and automatic updates. Incoming texts do NOT start a session.

If you don’t use service, you won't be charged the daily fee.

When ½ GB of data is used in one TravelPass session, the data speed will be reduced. Speed will resume with the next session.

No need to remove TravelPass when you return. It doesn't bill in the US.

Calls to numbers within the TravelPass country and calls to US numbers are covered by your domestic plan.

Calls to numbers of other countries are charged International Long Distance.
No mention of enabling international calling.

Last edited by Analise; Sep 13, 2017 at 9:12 pm
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called Verizon's global assist customer service (or whatever they call themselves) and NO ONE told me that. In fact the agent emailed me this while were on the phone:

No mention of enabling international calling.
Not needed in my experience.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:36 am

I just contacted Verizon; iPhones are already enabled for international calling.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Not needed in my experience.
Possibly this depends on the type of phone or details of the Verizon account. For my phone I see an option on the web site to enable or disable calling international (i.e., non-US) numbers. I've always had it set, but I assume the default may be off for some customers.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bandicoot
Possibly this depends on the type of phone or details of the Verizon account. For my phone I see an option on the web site to enable or disable calling international (i.e., non-US) numbers. I've always had it set, but I assume the default may be off for some customers.
That may be true for dialing international numbers from the United States, not for dialing locals numbers while traveling abroad while using the TravelPass plan.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I have the latest version of an iPhone (until the new ones come out soon). You do have to change some settings on your iPhone to make it work overseas for Travel Pass. (No settings changes necessary for Canada.)

I know this because I had three separate Verizon reps give me three separate and conflicting sets of directions for how to make this happen. It was a lot of fun figuring this out (yes, that is sarcasm), but once I mastered the changes it worked quite well.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I have the latest version of an iPhone (until the new ones come out soon). You do have to change some settings on your iPhone to make it work overseas for Travel Pass. (No settings changes necessary for Canada.)

I know this because I had three separate Verizon reps give me three separate and conflicting sets of directions for how to make this happen. It was a lot of fun figuring this out (yes, that is sarcasm), but once I mastered the changes it worked quite well.
Did you have to change the phone from CDMA to GSM? Even more so, are the directions for the SE I pasted above correct?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
That may be true for dialing international numbers from the United States, not for dialing locals numbers while traveling abroad while using the TravelPass plan.
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't yet traveled with TravelPass and without the international calling option turned on, but it's good to know it's not necessary.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Did you have to change the phone from CDMA to GSM? Even more so, are the directions for the SE I pasted above correct?
Yes. Although in my experience, you do not need to power the device off/on for the changes to take effect. If you experience any difficulties, though, turning it off/on may just do the trick.
Analise likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.