Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: AMX SkyMiles
How Verizon Travel Pass Worked in France September 2016

I used Verizon's Travel Pass, $10 per day, every day for a month while in France. It worked fine, although my iPhone was often slow with sending texts and photos to friends in the USA. Phone calls to numbers in France and to the USA were fine.

Verizon had provided me with instructions, while I was in France, on how to call telephones in France and in the USA. They did not work. Here's what they said to do:

From France to USA: Dial PLUS SIGN, Dial 1, Dial AREA CODE, Dial PHONE NUMBER

From France to France: Dial PLUS SIGN, Dial COUNTRY CODE 33, Dial LOCAL NUMBER WITH AREA CODE IF APPLICABLE

None of this worked.

What did work is dialing phone numbers as if your phone were a French phone:

From France to USA: Dial 00, Dial 1, Dial AREA CODE, Dial PHONE NUMBER

From France to France: Dial the FRENCH AREA CODE 01 (for Paris region) or 02, 03,04,05 for the area you're calling (or 06 for cell phones in France), Dial PHONE NUMBER
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:35 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Tom616
Verizon had provided me with instructions, while I was in France, on how to call telephones in France and in the USA. They did not work. Here's what they said to do:

From France to USA: Dial PLUS SIGN, Dial 1, Dial AREA CODE, Dial PHONE NUMBER

From France to France: Dial PLUS SIGN, Dial COUNTRY CODE 33, Dial LOCAL NUMBER WITH AREA CODE IF APPLICABLE

None of this worked.
Those dialing instructions worked perfectly with my Samsung S7 Edge in both France and Portugal.

You have to remember to delete the leading 0 from the European area codes when dialing using Verizon's instructions.

For example, the Parisian number 01 45 74 XX XX should be dialed +33 1 45 74 XX XX. All the contacts in my phone are formatted for international dialing.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:24 am

Hi all,

Traveling to Australia (for a month) through UAE later this week and activated TravelPass 1) as a back up if I have trouble with the local SIM card I plan to get in OZ and 2)for my layover in Dubai.

As far as I understand it, with the month long travelpass activated on my account, all I have to is turn on the phone upon landing...correct? No changing of the settings required...?

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubaerin
As far as I understand it, with the month long travelpass activated on my account, all I have to is turn on the phone upon landing...correct? No changing of the settings required...?
Correct, all you have to do is turn on the phone.

However, please be aware that TravelPass is the daily, not the monthly plan.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by TWA884
Correct, all you have to do is turn on the phone.

However, please be aware that TravelPass is the daily, not the monthly plan.
+1 - Used this in NZ and Australia and it was pretty seamless. Mostly stuck to wifi, but came in handy on a couple days when we were out and about and needed to make some calls back home that couldn't wait. All told we only had to use it for 3 days out of a 20-day trip. One of the best parts was that you could actually just leave your phone on with mobile data turned off, and receive incoming calls/SMS essentially for free (so long as you didn't answer or reply).

Be warned, though, that incoming MMS triggered the TravelPass for us as it was marked as data to download the photo, so we ended up seeing that day on our bill. VZW refused to adjust it off even though there was zero other activity that day, and ultimately it wasn't worth the $10 to fight it. Those were some very expensive dog photos.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
+1 - Used this in NZ and Australia and it was pretty seamless. Mostly stuck to wifi, but came in handy on a couple days when we were out and about and needed to make some calls back home that couldn't wait. All told we only had to use it for 3 days out of a 20-day trip. One of the best parts was that you could actually just leave your phone on with mobile data turned off, and receive incoming calls/SMS essentially for free (so long as you didn't answer or reply).

Be warned, though, that incoming MMS triggered the TravelPass for us as it was marked as data to download the photo, so we ended up seeing that day on our bill. VZW refused to adjust it off even though there was zero other activity that day, and ultimately it wasn't worth the $10 to fight it. Those were some very expensive dog photos.
I was under the impression that TravelPass activated when your phone registered on the foreign network, not when/if it used data. On days that you activate TP, voice, texts, and data all come out of your usual plan. SO there's no point in turning off data.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I was under the impression that TravelPass activated when your phone registered on the foreign network, not when/if it used data. On days that you activate TP, voice, texts, and data all come out of your usual plan. SO there's no point in turning off data.
This is not my experience. I had my phone on, but data off, for my entire trip, and was only charged on days where I made an outbound call, sent an outbound text, or turned on mobile data.

On several days I only received (and rejected) inbound calls and texts, and I was not charged for those days.

From the TravelPass FAQs (bolding mine):
When you arrive in a country covered with TravelPass and turn on your device, you'll receive an international welcome text message text. Your 24-hour access to TravelPass won’t begin until you make or receive a phone call, send a text or use data. Shortly before your 24-hour session ends, you'll receive a text letting you know TravelPass is almost up. If you stop using your device before your 24-hour session ends, you won't be charged again until the next time you use your device internationally. That might be later the next day, next month or even next year.

ETA: When travelling in Canada/Mexico, I just leave everything on because $2/day is quite reasonable. In other countries where the cost is $10/day, it makes more sense to me to leave data off if I know I'm only going to be away from wifi for a couple hours at a time - I can just wait until I have wifi to do whatever I need to do. But leaving my phone on still allows me to receive calls/texts in case of emergencies, and then I can decide if they're important enough to spend $10 to answer, call back, or reply (at which point I of course just turn data back on and have a fully functioning phone for the day).
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Thanks for the helpful clarification. Knowing that makes TravelPass more useful to me.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
TravelPass worked great in Canada. Flew into Vancouver and spent the week in Whistler. Used my iPhone 7+ and iPhone 5. Everything worked seamlessly. I received a text when I initially turned it on and every day 1 hour prior to the period ending letting me know my "day" was almost over.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:22 pm

When did the cost of TravelPass in Mexico and Canada increase to $5/day?

In late March, it was still $2/day. Yesterday, the welcoming text message that I received shortly after I turned my phone on after landing in MEX informed me that it was $5/day.

When I clicked on the link, the website showed $5/day for both Canada and Mexico.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently they did it without comment a few weeks ago. And they implemented a cap of 512 MB/day for high speed data before you get throttled.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...rice-increases
http://pizzainmotion.boardingarea.co...al-travelpass/
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:57 pm

Going to try this when i go to europe in a few weeks.

seems like less hassle than multiple SIMs and you can keep your #
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Quick questions about Verizon Travelpass pertaining to my trip to the UK in a few weeks.

1. What are the dialing instructions for calling within the UK? Also within the same village or city in the UK?

2. If I have unlimited calling in the US, how do I find out the rate per minute to other UK phone numbers? Or are they covered in the $10/per 24 hour fee?

3. Are calls to the US included in the $10/per 24 hours as I have unlimited talk time/calls in the US? Yes I know there is wifi; I'm just asking if I didn't have access to wifi.

Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
Quick questions about Verizon Travelpass pertaining to my trip to the UK in a few weeks.

1. What are the dialing instructions for calling within the UK? Also within the same village or city in the UK?

2. If I have unlimited calling in the US, how do I find out the rate per minute to other UK phone numbers? Or are they covered in the $10/per 24 hour fee?

3. Are calls to the US included in the $10/per 24 hours as I have unlimited talk time/calls in the US? Yes I know there is wifi; I'm just asking if I didn't have access to wifi.

Thanks.
1. Same dialing requirement as if you were dialing the UK number from the USA; you'll need to enter the country code first.

2. Unlimited talk time and calls, same as domestic.

3. You can also call US numbers at no extra charge.

I'd recommend you also confirm all this with Verizon customer service to verify nothing's changed from my experience a couple of months ago.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks. I will verify. I am surprised that unlimited talk time for calls within the UK is included in the $10/24 hours as I don't have unlimited talk time when I call the UK from the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.