Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile US coverage -- honestly, how bad is it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-Mobile US coverage -- honestly, how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:51 pm

Just as bad as Verizon or AT&T. I've been on all three in the last 3 years and it's a hit or miss. Some cover better here but then not there, etc.

Even in large cities I sometimes get dropped calls or EDGE network only. Hilarious.

If you think Verizon is good, then T-Mobile is just as good. I have a different benchmark. Call me spoiled, but when I lived in Europe, I could go to the most rural mountain and still get 5 bars and 3G *faster* than America's LTE.

Something is seriously broken with cellular in US.

But I have to say T-Mobile offerings today and their reps and disruption they create is worth giving a big thumb up.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kinimodb
If you think Verizon is good, then T-Mobile is just as good. I have a different benchmark. Call me spoiled, but when I lived in Europe, I could go to the most rural mountain and still get 5 bars and 3G *faster* than America's LTE.

You are spoiled...or at least, have unrealistic expectations. Europe and the US are very different markets. The continental US is about the same size as all of Europe. Most European countries, like the US, have 3-4 national carriers. It would be like having a different set of carriers in each US state, only responsible for that state. With such a reduced geographic footprint it's easy to make more wall-to-wall coverage.

Here, carriers have to contend with vast unoccupied spaces that are just uneconomic to blanket with coverage. Populations in Europe are much more dense so there's more of an economic case for omnipresent coverage.

Also I suspect that European carriers either receive large subsidies for capex or are required by law to build coverage in otherwise uneconomic areas. I don't believe that is the case here.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by kinimodb
Just as bad as Verizon or AT&T. I've been on all three in the last 3 years and it's a hit or miss. Some cover better here but then not there, etc.

Even in large cities I sometimes get dropped calls or EDGE network only. Hilarious.

But I have to say T-Mobile offerings today and their reps and disruption they create is worth giving a big thumb up.
When you consider how absolutely huge the US and how much of the US is uninhabited vs what you find in Europe you'll see that it's not a fair comparison.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weekilter
When you consider how absolutely huge the US and how much of the US is uninhabited vs what you find in Europe you'll see that it's not a fair comparison.
You said it much more succinctly than I did.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:12 pm

I use T-Mobile while I am home (in the states). I have LTE at my house and in the city I live in - a few problem areas where I can't get service and others (AT&T or Verizon) can but I've learned to live with it.

Traveling (domestically) is a slightly different story - I had an issue with data usage and roaming; I had a 100MB cap for data while roaming and no one told me until I ran out of data and couldn't do much.

I've learned to live with it and for the money I save I like T-Mobile. If it works in the office I'd say give it a test run. If reception looks spotty or users will be traveling and "need" connectivity I'd be a little leery.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Why should OP have to purchase anything? As stated up-thread, OP can call the T-Mobile business department and probably get setup with a free trail.
Because of the logistics involved. Imagine having to change all the phones in the office and it doesn't pan out as planned. From what the OP has explained, that might mean a few very angry employees along with some mobile phones broken. At least having tested it first you can avoid any potential pitfalls and a major fail.

Even if the trial involved just one phone for the OP, he would probably lose the 30 day trial for the whole office. So it's smart either way to test it beforehand.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Can't speak for Florida but in California t Mobile is the worst of the three. I switched from at&t to get the international roaming and found that while it works perfectly in Europe it barely functions in large sections of California where my old at&t sim worked ok and where Verizon works perfectly. If I didn't spend most of my time overseas I would definitely switch to Verizon.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, it really just depends where you're going to use it. The only way to determine if it works for a particular person is to try it where you're going to use it.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It should also be said...

OP's employees should seriously consider anger management classes.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Originally Posted by edweird
The Band 12 build out is supposedly a go for this area, which will help make things better for folks whose phones have that band. I'm not seeing it yet in Daytona Beach.
My statement above is no longer true, it started showing up in my SignalCheck Pro (that's an Android app) logs in the last 5 days. I see it in Daytona Beach around the race track and the core beachside area. It may be other places that I haven't been in the last 5 days.

My device is a Nexus 6 with the Google Project Fi system image and SIM. According to TMo and Fi, Fi users do not yet have access to VoLTE, which is different than post paid TMo customers.

While I can see and appear to be connected, a single attempt at placing a call (WiFi was cut off) caused my phone to switch off of Band 12. It seemed happy to reconnect and camp on the Band tower with an active data connection. (WiFi cut off)

For US travelers considering purchase of a TMo handset, I'd recommend one that not only has Band 12 but also supports VoLTE and E911 as that's the only ones that will be supported. You also need to make sure that your service plan includes VoLTE.

Considering the size of the Apple market share, I'll be interested in seeing if this is covered in any of their announcements at the event later this month. Specifically inclusion in any new devices, and activation and support in some existing handsets.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Per the iPhone 6s Technical Specs, the latest iPhone does have LTE Band 12.
Models A1633 & A1634
LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Models A1688 & A1687
LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29)
TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Sant
Per the iPhone 6s Technical Specs, the latest iPhone does have LTE Band 12.
There has to be other differences than just one LTE band?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:09 pm

Since switching to T-Mobile I have found a few places where at&t is a little better but in general T-Mobile is close enough that I can get by and save some $$$$.

I am curious how it will be in other places that I visit, but my sense from talking to people is that in major Metropolitan areas T-Mobile is good enough though at&t and Verizon might and probably are slightly to moderately better
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I tried out T-Mobile using their free test drive. I wanted it to be great, having heard how many improvements they made to their network, and knowing how much I dislike AT&T and Verizon as companies. I took it all across the Midwest on a week of business travel. Where I had service, the data speeds were great, but there were many occasions where the signal simply wasn't there. I had poor quality calls where I had to switch to a landline. The coverage is undoubtedly improving but it is still not on par with AT&T and Verizon.

As a former IT manager... forget about executives, sales reps, etc. going to a store to buy a local SIM, putting it in their phones, and figuring out international dialing (or messing around with Skype). They'll never do it. It's not worth their time to figure out how to do it, even if it's easy. And it's not worth you getting blamed. If these guys travel all over the place, get them phone service that has the best coverage, plan on them using their phones and keeping their same number overseas, and budget your mobile telecom spend accordingly. Trying to cut costs by pushing a #3 or #4 carrier and local SIMs is a losing battle for an IT manager. Save some money by switching to shared data plans if you haven't already.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Former user here with VZW for most of 25 years, going back to the NYNEX mobile & alpha-numeric/tone-only paging days, also had AT&T WS/M for a # of years as secondary before switching some lines over to T-Mo. From down south along FL & up/down the East coast, unless your corporate team are heading into the woods, coverage should be almost as good & nearly as good - depending on budget & hardwares, choose your mobile smartphones carefully for best use of the 4G/LTE networks & towers - for optimal integration of cellular, WiFi and roaming/oversea coverage on all the single mobile # including texting & data access.

It sounded like your office folks just wanted nothing more than the ability to flip the switch, get the virtual dial tone (wireless signal) and able to make/receive calls - and not worry about anything else & hate reading/following instructions and prompts.

T-Mo has a business division and reps that can work with you (deals for up to 10 lines, credits/rebates for porting/moving lines & even dealing with ETF's and so forth) There is also a money-back/worry-free program to try out for 30+ days (??) as I was just reading it on my (formerly Sprint) iPad mini this week now on T-Mo's free monthly 200MB FDFL program - useful for an upcoming trip as it has the global LTE bands abroad.

Simple Choice North America Plan would extend coverage to Canada & Mexico, recently rolled out - and, without contracts, as others suggested, get a new line for 30 days and for as little as $70 or $80, the user will get unlimited calling & texting, and as much as 3 to 5 GB fast 4G LTE data to use - (speed is faster than/comparable to AT&T's signal/coverage) Aside from iPhone 5s or 6 - not locked to any carrier, of course; devices like the Nexus 6 or Moto X Pure Ed. or 3rd. generation "G" might just be the hardware ticket to convince the majority to take the plunge.

Home in metro NY, VZW continued (no plans to add extra towers for the fringe section of our "town" ... just a few dead zones to them, hmmm) to the worst, and surprisingly - indoor coverage with T-Mobile is even better/stronger reception over AT&T. Out on the West Coast, T-Mobile is just fine too ... except inside the Grand Canyon NP, while vacationing. On the whole, we switched 2 years ago & not missing Big Red at all (for those who hasn't tried T-Mo in the last year or two, I'll say give them another run for your money - there's a $30 prepaid plan for 5GB data, unlimited SMS & 100 mobile minutes, and, the 3-in-1 Sim card is (was) free again.

Where are their overseas trips landing them - FT's are reporting good success with the free roaming data all over under T-Mo and not paying extra, try doing that under the "Can you hear me now" banner
Also from NY Metro Area(Long Island). I've noticed a bunch of places where VZW coverage is crappy yet T-Mobile is acceptable(I have a VZW iPhone and an iPad on T-Mo). If it wasn't for the fact work pays for my iPhone, I would have ditched them years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.