Ring

Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ring

Anyone else use a Ring Wi-Fi doorbell? This is the first piece of tech I've purchased that works perfectly. It is a doorbell with built in camera, Wi-Fi, motion sensor and an iOS and Android app. Someone rings the bell, and my device alerts me. It also records the motion. The unit is well made, and can run off batteries for up to 6 months, or off hardwired. It also has an optional plugin "chime".

At $199, it is one heck of a pricey doorbell, but I love mine, and it helps me stay connected when I'm on the road.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Silver, SPG P+
looked at it. I have serious doubts about the battery life in a northern climate. Temps under 40F would probably kill the thing quickly.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heldicus
looked at it. I have serious doubts about the battery life in a northern climate. Temps under 40F would probably kill the thing quickly.
It is rated up to -5F. Thankfully, not many people come to my door when it gets much colder than that
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:58 am

I don't know if it is the same one, but one of my neighbor has a camera in his doorbell. There was one night in back in June or May, his door bell would ring in the middle of night for a few nights in a row. He got pictures of all the kids from the local high school and got all of them.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
ScottC: What are the power options for Ring? I see on Amazon that it can hook into existing wiring, but I'm wondering what voltage is required?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD
ScottC: What are the power options for Ring? I see on Amazon that it can hook into existing wiring, but I'm wondering what voltage is required?
Essentially any existing bell power will work 8-24V.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:20 pm

In Michigan we have days below -5F, but I'm wondering whether the exterior of my house wall would ever get that cold.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
What's the use case again?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lensman
What's the use case again?
Notifications when packages have arrived
Video of people stealing said packages
2 way intercom remotely when you are not home
Video when the kids arrive home safely

etc...

If you can't think of a use case, then it isn't for you.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:28 am

I looked at this with my co-worker--he ended up purchasing one. The major drawback I had with it is there's no way to call back/intercom TO the door bell.

So if someone presses the doorbell and you don't have your phone within arms reach, but maybe in the same room, its possible for the alert to time out and there's no way to talk to the person at the door. Similarly, if you hear something outside and wanted to use the doorbell's camera to get a quick view, it's not possible to initiate a connection from your phone.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:41 pm

Disappointed that I can't supply my own storage for the captured video, nor download it from their cloud service (for which there is an added yearly cost).

It's a neat idea, but there will be additional options flooding the market before long. I'm sure one or more of them will address these shortcomings.

I can wait until then.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Disappointed that I can't supply my own storage for the captured video, nor download it from their cloud service (for which there is an added yearly cost).

It's a neat idea, but there will be additional options flooding the market before long. I'm sure one or more of them will address these shortcomings.

I can wait until then.
There are multiple other options, like Skybell, but this is the first one I tested that actually works reliably.

I agree that having to pay for the cloud storage is a bit disappointing, but the $3/month isn't too rough.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
There are multiple other options, like Skybell, but this is the first one I tested that actually works reliably.

I agree that having to pay for the cloud storage is a bit disappointing, but the $3/month isn't too rough.
I'm more concerned with the inaccessibility of the video through anything other than streaming it to the phone app in the event the device records something legally significant.

Reliability is certainly important, but there's nothing novel or inherently unreliable (or even particularly expensive) about the individual components that go into this thing. Ring has, for the moment, the advantage of binding them together with software support that provides a great UX. It's an advantage that, for the cult of "good enough," won't last forever.

Like wi-fi security cameras, you'll see similar devices at 1/2 the price within the year. Those will likely support 3rd party storage solutions as well as the notification and 2-way communication options of Ring. Ring may remain a superior product, but I doubt they'll be able to maintain the premium price point.

My 4 year old Foscam cameras support 2-way audio and motion sensing notification, but in a manner that isn't particularly useful for highly interactive use. It's great to see that functionality evolving.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC
Notifications when packages have arrived
Video of people stealing said packages
2 way intercom remotely when you are not home
Video when the kids arrive home safely

etc...

If you can't think of a use case, then it isn't for you.
Ah, I see where my disconnect is. I live in a multi-unit dwelling so no one actually rings the doorbell of my actual unit. And I'm not going to upgrade the building intercom system for the building's front door.

That said, my building would love to have the ability to let the UPS delivery person leave packages inside the foyer.

Thanks, Scott!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
In Michigan we have days below -5F, but I'm wondering whether the exterior of my house wall would ever get that cold.
Yes. Yes it would.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.