Search

Backup Android app data without USB connection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:59 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Backup Android app data without USB connection

My Nexus 6's USB port stopped working last week and my replacement just arrived. Does anyone know of a way that I can transfer app data from one phone to another without having use of the USB port?

All of the root instructions I've seen me to plug my phone into the computer at some point, and that won't work since the USB port isn't working.

Helium is a data backup and restore app that doesn't require root access, but it does require me to plug the phone into a computer.

Any other ideas?

At issue are a few games where I've made in-app purchases. Although the app itself transferred to my new phone during the touch & go sync process, when I launch the game it's as if I'm a new user...none of my progress or in-app purchases carry over.

Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Your IAP should carry over. I believe Google does backup and restore app data. Depending of the size of app data, it could take a while to restore.

ETA: it appears Helium can use the cloud (like Dropbox) to backup and restore. Have you tried that?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Use Titanium Backup. Have it back up to Dropbox, Google Drive, or another cloud option, then restore from that backup on your new phone. It will be as if your new phone is your old phone (sans usb port issue, of course ).
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Use Titanium Backup. Have it back up to Dropbox, Google Drive, or another cloud option, then restore from that backup on your new phone. It will be as if your new phone is your old phone (sans usb port issue, of course ).
Her phone is not rooted.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Your IAP should carry over. I believe Google does backup and restore app data. Depending of the size of app data, it could take a while to restore.

ETA: it appears Helium can use the cloud (like Dropbox) to backup and restore. Have you tried that?
Google says it _may_ backup & restore app data, but none of mine seems to have transferred over to this new phone and I don't think it transferred when I got the prior one. ETA: It's been four hours and all of the updating, etc., seems to be complete, so I'm skeptical that any more data is coming.

Helium on unrooted phones requires a USB connection between the phone and my computer.

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I can't root the old phone without a USB connection. (Or I'm not aware of how I can do that.)

ETA: Does anyone know where the data files are saved on the phone? Even if I could email them to myself I'd be happy.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:05 pm

Try this

Try this: Syncme wireless. At Google play.

Works for me. I make daily backups to my NAS at home.

Really easy to setup and use, though instructions could be better for the less computer inclined.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:57 pm

AppWereRabbit is another potential option.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blarocqu
Try this: Syncme wireless. At Google play.

Works for me. I make daily backups to my NAS at home.

Really easy to setup and use, though instructions could be better for the less computer inclined.

Hope this helps.
I don't see anything that suggests it backs up app data. The documentation refers to mp3s, pictures and documents.

Originally Posted by robroy90
AppWereRabbit is another potential option.
Requires root access to backup app data.

Compounding this, if I could get to it connect to a desktop long enough to get root access, it appears that with the Nexus 6 you have to wipe the device as the first step toward rooting. I'm going to do this with the new Nexus, but it sort of defeats the purpose on the old one.

I was able to get the USB port to work long enough to connect to my laptop briefly, but couldn't get Helium on the laptop to communicate with Helium on the phone (a seemingly common problem). I may try it again tomorrow night on the boyfriend's Mac.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I can't root the old phone without a USB connection. (Or I'm not aware of how I can do that.).
Ahh, I'd thought you were already rooted. My bad.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Reading comments about Helium, it sounds as if other people have had trouble getting the phone to desktop connection working with Windows. I'm going to bring the old phone to the boyfriend's tonight and hope it'll work on his Mac. The USB port is tricky -- I literally plug it in and then use the weight of the phone against the USB port to create a connection -- but if I could get it to work for even a few minutes it would be a win.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Dirt
During the out of box setup process there should a step where it asks you if you have data to transfer from your old phone. You would then hold the phones back to back and let NFC do its magic. I think this migration only transfers your phone book and account credentials.

Therefore, I opted for a more manual process when migrating from Nexus 4 to Moto X. Again, it involves NFC/Android Beam. Working from memory so something may be off.
1. Load ES File Explorer on both phones and open it
2. On the old phone select the file or directory you want to send and tap ... then send
3. On the new phone navigate to the directory you want to save the file/directory
4. Touch the backs of two phones together
5. On the new phone tap the option to accept the file

I don't know if you need to connect both phones to the same WiFi network. You may not have to as ES File Explorer seems to use WiFi Direct for the transfer.

If you transfer the entire /sdcard directory (which is emulated on Nexus because no physical SD card) all of your application settings should make it to the new phone.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Google says it _may_ backup & restore app data, but none of mine seems to have transferred over to this new phone and I don't think it transferred when I got the prior one.
On my phone I have option to backup to Google cloud and restore app data when it is reinstalled. This did not work for you?

You are right about Syncme, it does not see all app data. BUT if your app will create a backup file on your phone (like my calendar application does), the you can backup that file and use it to restore your data on your new phone.

Hopefully, you have already succeeded.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msb0b
During the out of box setup process there should a step where it asks you if you have data to transfer from your old phone. You would then hold the phones back to back and let NFC do its magic. I think this migration only transfers your phone book and account credentials.

Therefore, I opted for a more manual process when migrating from Nexus 4 to Moto X. Again, it involves NFC/Android Beam. Working from memory so something may be off.
1. Load ES File Explorer on both phones and open it
2. On the old phone select the file or directory you want to send and tap ... then send
3. On the new phone navigate to the directory you want to save the file/directory
4. Touch the backs of two phones together
5. On the new phone tap the option to accept the file

I don't know if you need to connect both phones to the same WiFi network. You may not have to as ES File Explorer seems to use WiFi Direct for the transfer.

If you transfer the entire /sdcard directory (which is emulated on Nexus because no physical SD card) all of your application settings should make it to the new phone.
I did the whole tap and go thing. It brings over a lot of settings and data, but not all of it. For example, it knows the arrangement of the icons on my home screen, but doesn't change my ring tone and other notifications sounds to match my prior phone. As for actual app data, little to none of it (particularly third party apps) seems to transfer.

Originally Posted by blarocqu
On my phone I have option to backup to Google cloud and restore app data when it is reinstalled. This did not work for you?
When I look at the sync details, app data and a lot of other stuff claims to have been synced, but it seems largely limited to Google apps.

You are right about Syncme, it does not see all app data. BUT if your app will create a backup file on your phone (like my calendar application does), the you can backup that file and use it to restore your data on your new phone.

Hopefully, you have already succeeded.
I don't see an option in any of my games (where I've made in-app purchases) to back up and restore data.

Helium on the PC doesn't seem to be recognizing my device, but I'm hopeful that Helium on the Mac will. Alas, I spaced out last night, meant to bring my old phone with me to the boyfriend's house (he has the Mac) but forgot. I won't see him until Sunday -- and then it's in another country -- to the old phone will either travel with me or, more likely, wait until we return.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Random observation: The app data that does carry over is quite random. For example, Google Fit, which I would have expected to carry over, make me go through the entire setup process again, including EULA agreement and entering my height and weight. The NY Times app automatically logged me in even though I use a login that isn't connected to Facebook, Google+ or any other service I was already signed into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.