Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by lsquare
Google Maps doesn't work in South Korea? Seriously?
try entering any two points in South Korea... for example: ICN airport to anywhere downtown Seoul. it will tell you that no directions available for driving or walking... but apparently bus/transit directions work...

strangely, Google Maps navigation works in NORTH Korea.... for example... enter Pyongyang airport as the origin and the Swedish Embassy in North Korea as the destination... then navigation just works.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:21 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I am having issues in Kenya. All the usual tricks with Signal Spy restarting my phone etc aren't working. Chatted with support and they gave me a 20 dollar credit no questions asked and have escalated my case. I can get a T-Mo signal here just no data.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Anyone here using Fi with the Pixel 2/2 XL's eSIM? If so, can you please comment on the activation process and your experience with the service?
I bought a Pixel 2 with eSIM in December and ported my number. It all worked like clockwork - very easy.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lhrsfo

I bought a Pixel 2 with eSIM in December and ported my number. It all worked like clockwork - very easy.
Are you base in the UK or US? I'm assuming you're using Fi as your primary carrier? Is your Google account US or UK based? How are you paying for your service?

Thank you.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Decent Fi signal in St. Bart’s, Tortola BVI, Samana Bay Dominican Rep, and Grand Turk. T Mo standard painfully slow in these same locations. But sending this on T Mo..

Last edited by boerne; Apr 3, 2018 at 11:19 am Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:03 pm

Was in jamaica (mainly mobay, and one day in negril) last week, with a pixel2 XL. Only hsdpa, never got any LTE. The gf used a data-only sim in her iphone (I think a 6 or 7), only got 3g. Speed was pretty weak as a result. Not sure if they are blocking LTE from Fi, as my phone should receive the AWS / lte band 4 spectrum that flow/lime is using in their rollout.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: CO PLT, AA PLT, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Avis First
Originally Posted by NYTA
Worked well on my Pixel 1 in Morocco and Spain. Full LTE speeds.
Were you recently in Morocco? Curious as FI just added Morocco as a covered country as it was previously in beta.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by tiev
Were you recently in Morocco? Curious as FI just added Morocco as a covered country as it was previously in beta.
Yes - about 5 weeks ago - in Fez. Worked great.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Worked well in Tanzania, good service in Arusha and parts of the Serengeti. Strangely had no service at JRO.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:04 am

The one thing about Fi is that I find the customer service to be spotty. I decided last Thursday to make an insurance claim on my Pixel 1 as I got sick of the bad battery life and my bluetooth cutting out whenever I put the phone in my left pants pocket. I called them on Thursday, informing them that I'd need the new device before 3pm on Saturday when I was planning to leave the USA for a trip abroad. They assured me that this was doable as the agent said he got permission for "expedited shipping". Well, it didn't ship until Friday afternoon and the tracking number they sent said it would be delivered on Monday. After multiple calls with Fi support, nobody I spoke with had the authority to call Fedex and change it to Saturday delivery even though they said it was not a problem to do so. By Saturday the phone still hadn't left Schaumburg, IL so I called fedex an hour before I was leaving for the airport to say "send it back to Google". Support staff are nice and all but nobody with any authority seems to be reachable. Seriously considering going back to Apple/TMo just because of the fact that I can walk into any Apple store in the world and get my phone repaired/replaced.

Additionally, I had a data-only sim that just stopped working. Nobody in tech support could help me to re-activate it so I had to order a new one.

Hoping they come up with some way for Fi to be supportable on iPhones so that I can go back to Apple for the hardware.
bukzin and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I wouldn't expect Google to try to expand the Fi market that aggressively.

About the same as what they have been doing with Fiber.

Or the Pixels, which only address the lower-volume flagship phone segment of the market.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Got an offer of $150 off a Pixel 2 XL today for the anniversary of Fi service. Pretty good deal.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Got an offer of $150 off a Pixel 2 XL today for the anniversary of Fi service. Pretty good deal.
How? Did they email you? Wondering if this means there's a new model coming soon.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:07 am

How? Did they email you? Wondering if this means there's a new model coming soon.
New Nexus or Pixel models have usually come out around October and there tend to be a lot of rumors. You never know, but a new model seems unlikely at the moment.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Yes was an email offer. Should be available to all. It does require Fi activation but no minimum term of service.

bukzin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.