Travel Router with built in VPN Client

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Router with built in VPN Client

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: OZ*G, Nexus, APEC
Use your computer as a VPN router instead!

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I've had a host of Travel routers with varying levels of satisfaction, however one thing they all have in common is a lack of a built-in VPN client.

For traveling abroad, there are many advantages to being able to have your hotel wired or wifi connection be share-able and VPNed between all your devices.

Has anyone found a "Travel Size" router with built in VPN client that would work well for international travel?
You don't actually need a router. You can create a hotspot on your computer and share the VPN connection. Check the video for more info.

Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by docbert
I run ASUSWRT-Merlin on my home router.
Which is a fork of the ASUS firmware (a commercial product)
Which is a fork of Tomato
Which is a fork of OpenWRT
Which is a fork of the Netgear firmware (a commercial product)

(Or something like that - I forget the exact path)

Interesting to see how it's progressed over the years since the good old WRT-54G was released.
You have your history completely messed up It was (as others noted) first Linksys releasing their firmware which is the basis of many open source projects in this case HyperWRT which continued in Tomato.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:09 pm

I recently acquired a Nexx WT3020 and installed an OpenWRT derivative called ROOter from http://ofmodemsandmen.com/downloadsp.html for a near turnkey OpenVPN experience compared to previous attempts.

I'm getting approximately 10Mbps of throughput against a VPN server I've set up on AWS.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Just need to "convert" WiFi to Ethernet...

I think I've settled on a solution to the problem of being in a hotel with Wifi and needing a VPN-enabled router to use Chromecast or Roku, without a PC:
  1. Hotel Wifi signal --> Router 1
  2. Router 1 (via Ethernet) ---> WAN port on Router 2 (OpenWRT with VPN client)
  3. Router 2 with VPN Client via Wifi signal --> all my devices.
The only problem is step 2: how can convert a hotel's WiFi signal into Ethernet to feed it into a router's WAN port?

Anyone have any ideas? I have a HooToo router and a TP-Link running OpenWRT, but not sure how to do this.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by Capite
I think I've settled on a solution to the problem of being in a hotel with Wifi and needing a VPN-enabled router to use Chromecast or Roku, without a PC:
  1. Hotel Wifi signal --> Router 1
  2. Router 1 (via Ethernet) ---> WAN port on Router 2 (OpenWRT with VPN client)
  3. Router 2 with VPN Client via Wifi signal --> all my devices.
The only problem is step 2: how can convert a hotel's WiFi signal into Ethernet to feed it into a router's WAN port?

Anyone have any ideas? I have a HooToo router and a TP-Link running OpenWRT, but not sure how to do this.

You only need one router.

https://www.loganmarchione.com/2015/...k-tl-mr3020-3/

There are further instructions up thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25563013-post26.html

I do just this.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite
You only need one router.

https://www.loganmarchione.com/2015/...k-tl-mr3020-3/

There are further instructions up thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25563013-post26.html

I do just this.
Yeah I tried this and it was over my head.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:10 pm

I had NO linux type experience before I tried this and got through it ok. The step by steps take you quite far then using PeteS's script finishes it of.

The only thing I struggled with (and still do) is router locks up if both the WWAN side and WLAN side are using encryption. This obviously inst a problem in public hotspot/hotels, when WLAN is open, but is a slight limitation that I couldn't resolve.

Is there a particular step you're stuck on?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:00 pm

As someone who has done the Peter Sherman mod, I would recommend you try using ROOter on a Nexx WT3020 as suggested by me earlier on this page. Much easier to set up and to use.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by unmesh
As someone who has done the Peter Sherman mod, I would recommend you try using ROOter on a Nexx WT3020 as suggested by me earlier on this page. Much easier to set up and to use.
Interesting. ROOter seems to be designed for 3g/4g connectivity. Can it be configured for WWAN/WLAN using traditional wifi in a similar way to Logan/PeteS tutorial?

Last edited by FastTrak2Elite; Mar 3, 2016 at 2:39 pm
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:12 pm

Interesting. ROOter seems to be designed for 3g/4g connectivity. Can it be configured for WWAN/WLAN using traditional wifi in a similar way to Logan/PeteS tutorial?
Absolutely, and I've done that! And I appreciate that the Nexx WT3020 has two Ethernet ports.

I tried convincing the author to port it to a travel sized router that has good specs and external antennae but no USB port and his response was "but it doesn't allow for a cell modem"
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:29 pm

Absolutely, and I've done that! And I appreciate that the Nexx WT3020 has two Ethernet ports.

I tried convincing the author to port it to a travel sized router that has good specs and external antennae but no USB port and his response was "but it doesn't allow for a cell modem"
Do you have your steps documented? I'd like to give it a try on the mr3020, as its due a rebuild...
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:47 pm

What you are trying to do probably won't work anyway because most hotel WIFI networks require web authentication to connect. After connecting you try to load a web page and get redirected to page where you need to enter a password or your last name and room number. I don't think you can do this on a router.

Why not just bring a small Windows laptop with you and use free software to create a virtual router (hotspot)? Detailed instructions here.

http://www.tipsforchina.com/virtual-vpn-router.html
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by jiajun
After connecting you try to load a web page and get redirected to page where you need to enter a password or your last name and room number. I don't think you can do this on a router.
You can do it with a router as long as you have a client device with a web browser. Try to connect to any random web page, you will see the authentication web page. After you enter your credentials, every device connected to the LAN created by the router will now be on the Internet.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:21 pm

You can do it with a router as long as you have a client device with a web browser. Try to connect to any random web page, you will see the authentication web page. After you enter your credentials, every device connected to the LAN created by the router will now be on the Internet.
Ok, cool. I didn't realize that would work. I wonder this would work on my ASUS RT-N66U using Tomato firmware or DD-WRT.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:22 pm

Do you have your steps documented? I'd like to give it a try on the mr3020, as its due a rebuild...
I am assuming you have a config file for an OpenVPN client that you've already tested somewhere and that you can pull the information from.

Get ROOter and install it on the router from its Firmware Update page. Reboot.

Connect a device to it, open a browser. Point the browser to the router's IP address, set up your network the way you like it and confirm you have Internet access. Check your Internet facing IP address. I just go to google.com and search for "my IP".

Go to the Services->OpenVPN page on the router, click the sample_client button and fill out the various configuration fields. On the Interfaces page, create a new unmanaged interface called tun0 and assign it to the Firewall zone called "wan".

Now go back to the OpenVPN page and click on the Start button. Assuming everything was set up correctly, the VPN will start and the Start button will change to a Stop button. Check that your Internet facing IP address has changed suitably.

You can click the Stop button to stop the VPN. In the future, you don't need to do any more setup, just use the Start/Stop button.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.