Wiki Posts
Search

WiFi can't connect with Gogo inflight and some lounges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
WiFi can't connect with Gogo inflight and some lounges

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T430s (Windows 7, with a Centrino 6300 AGN wireless chipset). I'm able to connect at the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges, but whenever I connect to the ANA Lounge in Narita, I never get a valid 'internet connection'.

The same thing happened to me last night on an Air Canada flight with Gogo wireless. My friend tried to connect with his 2013 Macbook Air (Broadcom BCM43224 chipset), and got a WiFi connection, but that was it and couldn't authenticate with his browser either.

In both cases, I was able to use my Moto X mobile phone to connect to the ANA Lounge and the Gogo in-flight wireless.

Are there problems with these older wireless chipsets, or is it something else?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
Hard to say but it does sound like from your description that something is not matching up. You might try updating your wireless drivers if there is one available, and or uninstalling and re-installing your wireless driver.

-Patrick
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
You might want to try clearing the list of wireless networks you have saved on your laptop. It could be different networks with the same name are confusing things.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:19 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I'll glom on, since my problem is related....

I can connect via laptop but when trying to connect with my iPhone or iPad, I never get a login screen. If I connect to the network, go to Safari, and refresh whatever page is there I simply get a "Not connected to the internet" error. If I do the same on my laptop, I get the GoGo login page.

Not even sure where to begin to try to fix.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I usually try going to a well-known site, like Google or CNN, instead of refreshing what's already there. Always get redirected to the login page. If you're not, check that the wifi is actually connected, or try disconnecting/reconnecting. It sounds like one of those weird problems that a reboot/reconnect will fix.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:18 am
Company Representative - GogoAir

Sorry to hear about these connection issues. Thankfully, most problems are relatively easy to fix, and we usually recommend the following tips:

1) Disable any proxy server settings
2) Remove any alternative connection settings (including third party DNS like OpenDNS or GoogleDNS). Make sure your machine is set to work with DHCP and not a static IP.
3) Connect, then manually browse to airborne.gogoinflight.com

If none of these help, visit us on the ground at gogo.to/chat so we can help troubleshoot.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:44 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I usually try going to a well-known site, like Google or CNN, instead of refreshing what's already there. Always get redirected to the login page. If you're not, check that the wifi is actually connected, or try disconnecting/reconnecting. It sounds like one of those weird problems that a reboot/reconnect will fix.
Tried every one of those multiple times.

Originally Posted by Gogo
3) Connect, then manually browse to airborne.gogoinflight.com
Will try that next week
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:25 pm

Connection worked fine

Although, fyi, for some reason connecting to gmail today was very spotty/intermittent.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 11, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Worth noting that many sites are new defaulting to SSL encrypted connections (https and some login splash screens won't properly redirect to the sign on page from a site when attempting to make an SSL connection. Always worth trying a page that is not using an encrypted connection to get the redirect to the splash screen. Better yet, if you know the providers login page, that generally avoids the issue all together.

For those with iDevices, we've found that turning WiFi off, then turning it back on will frequently resolve these kinds of odd connection issues. This is sometimes caused by mis-configured public WiFi with DHCP lease times that are far too long for a transient user population.

Cheers
Old May 9, 2015, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
OP here, I finally figured out my issue. I was using Google's public DNS for my WiFi adapter.

Looks like this caused problems with the way some hotspots authenticate. At YYC here and I could connect/authenticate with the YYC free WiFi, but not datavalet. I removed the manual DNS in my adapter settings and switched back to 'obtain DNS server automatically' and can now connect to both!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.