Travel alarm clocks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel alarm clocks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Travel alarm clocks

OK, so it's been a while My Digiview is starting to look a bit shabby. I might be a bit old-school but I never rely on hotel alarms clocks and I don't want my cell next to my head buzzing, vibrating or beeping with incoming messages all night....

I am looking for suggestions on a replacement for my Digiview RC61ELW, the finish has rubbed off on 50% of the body, half the buttons need a really hard press to work and operating the backlight washes out the LCD screen.

My criteria for replacement suggestions are:
  • Small as possible
  • Must run on AAA or AA battery (i.e. batteries that are easy to find anywhere)
  • Atomic time sync with timezone setting and manual override
  • Dual alarms with independent programmable snooze times
  • Temperature display

My current alarm clock has all of the features listed above. I'd really like it to have US, EU and JP time sync options, current one only syncs to US NIST.

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Most phones have a nighttime mode. On my iPhone I have it set to not ring unless someone's on my favorites list. I use that for family and they're not going to call in the middle of the night. Blackberry takes this further and can actually shut off the device during that time. Saves me from carrying yet another device.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by ou81two
Most phones have a nighttime mode. On my iPhone I have it set to not ring unless someone's on my favorites list. I use that for family and they're not going to call in the middle of the night. Blackberry takes this further and can actually shut off the device during that time. Saves me from carrying yet another device.
That's what I do with my iPhone as well. I stick it in a two dollar Office Depot business card stand to prop it up at night. I use Alarm Clock HD as my app. I use a rain storm WAV as my sleep timer to drown noise from other rooms, the parking lot, or hotel elevators.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:00 am

And if you're an Android user, Gentle Alarm and a kickstand-style case is superior to any travel alarm clock I've seen.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:45 am

I know we are not being responsive to the question and everyone is entitled to their own preferences, but with the small amount of space we have to carry a week's worth of stuff in carry-on, you need to figure out how to do more with less. If people have ever heard me rag about IT Departments that force people to carry seven pound boats on the road, that is why.

I would look at Travel Smith or Magellan for their selection of travel alarms if you want to do it old school. Here is what Hammacher offers:

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/84132?promo=search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
And if you're an Android user, Gentle Alarm and a kickstand-style case is superior to any travel alarm clock I've seen.
Seconded. It's fantastic.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:12 pm

Who knew there were so many options?
http://www.4alarmclocks.com/atomic-alarm-clock.html
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
I use two iphones(one for a back-up).

-Patrick
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:19 pm

I use hotel courtesy call and iPhone...and I generally sleep lightly when I have to be up real early for some reason. I have not missed very early flights using this set up.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I use the Timely app as my daily alarm clock.

I love that it syncs with all my devices
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:19 am

This meets most of your requirements. It isn't atomic, nor do I think it has dual alarms. It does have the 'bonus' of only three buttons for the markings to wear off. I have their Nightfinder IV alarm, which I like. That one doesn't seem to be available, and this looks like the replacement. It is small, has temp display, uses AAA batteries and is now apparently touchscreen.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/84171...el-alarm-clock

Otherwise, this one meets most of your requirements as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Digiview-RC304.../dp/B000IBKS62
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: QF
I just use my iPhone and leave it on "Do Not Disturb" during sleeping hours
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
I agree with the others on here, I used to obsess over finding the best travel alarm and had a handful but in the end it's that silly iPhone that has been dead reliable.

I'm one of those guys that wakes up a lot at night and needs to know what time it is and when hotels don't have visible clocks at night I go crazy. I have one of the alarm clock apps for the iPhone that shows the time all night but if I get a text or other notification it's on the screen blocking the clock until I dismiss it. Anyone find any easy fix to that?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I agree with the others on here, I used to obsess over finding the best travel alarm and had a handful but in the end it's that silly iPhone that has been dead reliable.

I'm one of those guys that wakes up a lot at night and needs to know what time it is and when hotels don't have visible clocks at night I go crazy. I have one of the alarm clock apps for the iPhone that shows the time all night but if I get a text or other notification it's on the screen blocking the clock until I dismiss it. Anyone find any easy fix to that?
Not an iPhone user (although I do have an iPad), but I know you can change the notification type for the offending applications to "Banners" rather than "Alerts." Of course, with that setting you'll only get the temporary banner at the top of the screen and not the center-of-the-screen notification until you manually change it back.

Or you could go to the dark side and get an Android phone, where this isn't an issue
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Not an iPhone user (although I do have an iPad), but I know you can change the notification type for the offending applications to "Banners" rather than "Alerts." Of course, with that setting you'll only get the temporary banner at the top of the screen and not the center-of-the-screen notification until you manually change it back.

Or you could go to the dark side and get an Android phone, where this isn't an issue
Whoa, slow down cowboy, I'm not going to switch religions because I haven't mastered the notifications options!

There is a a do-not-distrub mode on the iPhone, maybe that would do what I want but still let emergency calls get through, ie: something happens to Aunt Marge in the middle of the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.