Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Samsung S6

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:10 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I'm an Apple guy but the feature that makes me excited to see is NFC based paying in the SAmsung model. More NFC= more Apple Pay.. Very exciting. The Looppay technology is interesting but ultimately legacy compatibility. Supposedly by Oct 2015 all merchants in the USA are suppossed to have upgraded their terminals to NFC capability. However, whether they activate them is a different story. I was at a Gap this weekend that had NFC capability but they had it turned off because of their agreement with CurrentC.

FDW
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I'm an Apple guy but the feature that makes me excited to see is NFC based paying in the SAmsung model. More NFC= more Apple Pay.. Very exciting. The Looppay technology is interesting but ultimately legacy compatibility. Supposedly by Oct 2015 all merchants in the USA are suppossed to have upgraded their terminals to NFC capability. However, whether they activate them is a different story. I was at a Gap this weekend that had NFC capability but they had it turned off because of their agreement with CurrentC.

FDW
Samsung's had the ability to pay via NFC in its phones for years now.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Hardly just Samsung, although they've supported BOTH Google Wallet and their own thing for a while now.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:07 pm

it's a problem for anyone who wants to use an app like Pie Control or any of a number of apps which use the edges.
If they actually designed that in.. then it will still work with any edge swipe app since the edge is still there just more inside. The only apps that won't work with it is the app that display something at the edge and you have to touch it (not swipe).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
Hardly just Samsung, although they've supported BOTH Google Wallet and their own thing for a while now.
Agreed, was just pointing out this feature isn't new with the S6.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too bad they never figured out how to get the masses to actually use for something.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:30 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

True, I guess I mean the open embrace/marketing (via Samsung Pay) will likely hasten the uptake. SOme may say they are riding ApplePay's popularity; let them ride I say. I love using NFC for paying

FDW
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Too bad they never figured out how to get the masses to actually use for something.
Bit difficult to do a lot in the US when the payment services were stuck in the dark ages.

The rest of the world says welcome to the wonders of Chip and Pin and NFC payments.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugoagogo
Bit difficult to do a lot in the US when the payment services were stuck in the dark ages.

The rest of the world says welcome to the wonders of Chip and Pin and NFC payments.
The rest of the world should be advised that, for the most part, the US is not going to implement chip and pin (though I wish we would!), they are going to chip and sign.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by planemechanic
The rest of the world should be advised that, for the most part, the US is not going to implement chip and pin (though I wish we would!), they are going to chip and sign.
At least they got the Chip part right, maybe someday the rest will follow.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
T-Mobile has reduced the price of the S5 to $422. I decided to bite on that for Mrs. Swede.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I think I am going to spring for the S5 vs waiting for the S6. I went to a local kiosk and they didn't have the version I wanted. I went to the Costco kiosk and almost got one. Then I was told the Verizon Edge program (which I am under) changed back in Oct 14. If I get a new phone I would have to wait 18 months (vs the current 12 months) to upgrade for the next phone. I can't say I am surprised that Verizon did not include that in any of my statements since Oct.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So much for the claim that the S6 would be light on bloatware, or that the bloatware would be easy to remove.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
T-Mobile pricing...

Galaxy S6 32GB – $0 down + $28.33/month x 24, $679.92
Galaxy S6 64GB – $99.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $759.99
Galaxy S6 128GB – $199.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $859.99
Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB – $0 down + $32.49/month x 24, $779.76
Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB – $99.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $859.83
Galaxy S6 Edge 128GB – $199.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $959.83

It will only be available in white and black starting out. Purchasing from T-Mobile will also include one free year of Netflix.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Hmmm...if I didn't dislike T-Mobile so much, I would consider changing from Verizon.

Since I already got the S5, I am going to have to wait a year or more to get the S6. Though I did read an article that the S7 is being worked already (apparently it is bendable).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.