Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Do you think that laptop nowadays are unnecessary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you think that laptop nowadays are unnecessary?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rts123
I carry both on work trips. The laptop (14" ThinkPad) is for work, especially for things like CAD and ERP software that can't be done on my tablet, while the tablet (iPad Mini) is for passing time while traveling (reading, music, movies, etc.).
Me, too, though there are some work tasks I put my tablet to. Things like taking a set of engineering plans and specifications onto the construction site to look at (and even mark up) are best assigned to a tablet. Sure beats wrestling around with a roll of hard copy drawings and a 5-pound stack of paper specs.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by rts123
I carry both on work trips. The laptop (14" ThinkPad) is for work, especially for things like CAD and ERP software that can't be done on my tablet, while the tablet (iPad Mini) is for passing time while traveling (reading, music, movies, etc.).

Literally the same. ThinkPad and iPad mini. I love the ThinkPad keyboard for work.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:44 pm

When a tablet supports 16+ GB of RAM, 1TB+ of local storage, a decent mouse and keyboard along with the ability to extend the desktop to a standard (VGA/DVI/DP) display, I'll forgo the laptop. But I don't see that happening in the next couple of years.

I work regularly with multiple development environments in half a dozen virtual machines. While those could potentially be moved to the cloud, I'm often behind highly restrictive firewalls that would compromise my ability to use them . . . so they travel with me.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ccyao
I still travel with a laptop. The ipads are ok for reading. For all the other stuff, laptop is still better.
Second this. Tablets are not good for creating content.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:01 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
i expect more convertibles in the future. i love my Macbook Air but i do sometimes with it was a convertible... makes it easier watching Netflix, and documentaries
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I work regularly with multiple development environments in half a dozen virtual machines. While those could potentially be moved to the cloud, I'm often behind highly restrictive firewalls that would compromise my ability to use them . . . so they travel with me.
+1. Also, no way to run a proper IDE on just a tablet.

I travel with both. Laptop for work, iPad for movies, books, and games in flight.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I think that laptop nowadays are unnecessary for some people, but like many questions, the answer is "It depends"

I can do without a notebook while travelling if I take my tablet with LTE and WiFi connectivity. In a previous job this was not possible and I carried it and a notebook.

When I'm home, I use a desktop with dual monitors and only use the tablet when I head out the door and leave my home.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Office is still the gold standard when it comes to writing papers. I tried to write one on my iPad and it was brutal. I wouldn't even recommend a Chromebook for someone who places word processing anything other than a laptop would be ugly. That all being said, a MS Surface would be an acceptable alternative.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Office is still the gold standard when it comes to writing papers. I tried to write one on my iPad and it was brutal. I wouldn't even recommend a Chromebook for someone who places word processing anything other than a laptop would be ugly. That all being said, a MS Surface would be an acceptable alternative.
A Surface Pro will be (not yet) an acceptable alternative to a laptop once they go Win10. Add a touch keyboard and a wireless mouse and you're pretty good. That said, as many people have already stated, having both is probably the best way to go. But it really depends on the person and what their personal needs are. I don't know anyone who can use just one device.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: M&M Silver, UA Gold, HH Dia, BW Dia Select, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
For work or anything involving more than a couple of keystrokes definitively the laptop is the tool of choice.
Usually carry tablet and laptop using the tablet for casual browsing and passing time and the lapop for anything serious. But even for this post connected a bluetooth keyboard to the tablet and that's not practical while being on a plane / train.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
i expect more convertibles in the future. i love my Macbook Air but i do sometimes with it was a convertible... makes it easier watching Netflix, and documentaries
I am not a fan of the convertibles. They don't seem to cost any cheaper and more moving parts usually mean more will break.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:09 am

I need a laptop for any real amount of typing -- even answering emails on a tablet can get annoying. Typing on tablets is very slow! You probably get better at it/used to it over time, though.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:40 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
You could also ask with people using phones like the Nexus 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are tablets becoming unnecessary?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I love my MacAir 11" It's light and compact, thus highly portable. I've never purchased a tablet. I have no idea why I would want a tablet when my computer does all the tasks I need so easily.
I thought the same before I won an iPad, and now I can't imagine not having he ipad.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Exactly... I love my iPad for the movies and reading. Also nice for a quick e-mail and some web browsing. But a phone with a bigger screen can handle most of that as well.... Not so much the ebooks though.

For the rest, a laptop still rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.