Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Earphones (NOT HEADPHONES)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Shure SE535's. I don't think you'll find a better product under $500.

http://166.78.80.61/americas/product...ting-earphones

I've had mine for about 4 years and couldn't live without them. I say this as a "retired" soundboard operator/audio mixer which is where my love of Shure originated from.

Two things I really like (besides the audio quality): The Kevlar in the cord which keeps it from breaking, and the cables detach (i.e. break away) from the earphones.
Shure's are amazing. Seriously i have the SE315 and for the $250ish they cost me they are by far the best in-ear headphones i've ever used. I've compared it to ones double the price and still been impressed, i can't imagine how awesome the SE535's must sound.

Not to mention the awesome (replaceable) cord, they can take one hell of a beating. I used them for a couple hours every day throughout my university career and they took it like a champ, now its just a couple hours a month for flights or trips but still going strong. I can't recommend them enough^
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Another vote for the Shure SE535 - listening to mine now and couldn't be happier.

If you want a travel pair of earphones that aren't completely awful for pennies on the dollar, oddly, check out the Xiaomi Piston 2 ($25). http://www.head-fi.org/t/717620/revi...ning-budget-fi is a review from the Head-Fi forums. I love mine and they sound surprisingly fantastic for the money. I also appreciate that they're easier to insert, so I prefer them when I'm likely to get interrupted frequently. Just make sure you get an authentic pair!
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
"$499! I thought I'd have to pay at least $500!"

Yeah, I should have said "better product barely under $500."
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Check out:

http://techhunter.co/meelectronics-sport-fi-m6/

They have over 4,000 reviews with a 4 star rating
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
These may actually be a little more appropriate:

http://techhunter.co/shure-se215-k-s...ing-earphones/

Also 4 Star and highly ratings. I usually find a lot of good deals on

http://techhunter.co/

Good Luck!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:32 pm

I have klipsch image s4i in ears, they are really good value for money, and a lot more durable than what they look.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:50 am
formerly known as ravishah

I have the kplisch x11i - replacement for my x10i and for comfort nothing gets close. Really lightweight sou can wear them for long periods and sound quality is more than decent IMHO.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by ravishah
I have the kplisch x11i - replacement for my x10i and for comfort nothing gets close. Really lightweight sou can wear them for long periods and sound quality is more than decent IMHO.
These are just about three times the price of the image s4i... Would be interesting to compare the sound quality—if you actually get value for the extra money.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
I woud go for Klipsch or UE or the high end Shure's (low end Shure's are not worth the $)
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:58 am

Love my Shure SE535s. Amazing response, very comfortable, and very high quality build.

Originally Posted by barte
I woud go for Klipsch or UE or the high end Shure's (low end Shure's are not worth the $)
I'm not sure I would agree with you there. Check out reviews of the Shure SE215s; they are excellent and often comment on how it's a great earphone for the price ($100). The build quality is as excellent as their higher end models, and also has the detachable cable. I don't have a pair myself, but I'm considering getting my girlfriend a pair, who seems to have lost the Shures I gave her ~5 years ago.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Honestly, I'm no audiophile, but I use my earphones everyday and for long periods, I break lots, I lose them from time to time, but I like a pair of skullcandy. At Best Buy in Canada I usually get em for $9.99 and the ones I'm wearing right now have the cell phone mic thing, I think I paid $14.99 and I'll keep buying these now at that price, I didn't realize how much I loved having the controls there.

I own a pair of big Bose headphones for longer flights, but for travelling on a short flight it's not worth it because at Air Canada you can't wear them until cruising altitude. So for 1:20 flight you can only use em for what seems like :45.

I can't justify spending too much on every day headphones, the Bose ones were a bit impulsive anyway, but I've already regretted spending $250 on those. The difference is noticeable, but it isn't so amazing that I should've bought them.

Podcasts and varied types of music these skullcandy ones do a great job for me and I've been using them for a few years now.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have shure 215 which i bought to replace my old shure e3c (wgich i forgot on a plane after 8 yrs of heavy use) and sound quality unfortunately is worse. there seems to be much more focus on base rather than individual detail.
Prob ok for $100 but dont expect too much...

Without price considerations i d try 535s or new bose set which seems to be quite popular...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Shure SE535's. I don't think you'll find a better product under $500.

http://166.78.80.61/americas/product...ting-earphones

I've had mine for about 4 years and couldn't live without them. I say this as a "retired" soundboard operator/audio mixer which is where my love of Shure originated from.

Two things I really like (besides the audio quality): The Kevlar in the cord which keeps it from breaking, and the cables detach (i.e. break away) from the earphones.
Another vote for the SE535s. I have them with custom made ear buds from ACS here in the UK.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Love my Shure SE535s. Amazing response, very comfortable, and very high quality build.

I'm not sure I would agree with you there. Check out reviews of the Shure SE215s; they are excellent and often comment on how it's a great earphone for the price ($100). The build quality is as excellent as their higher end models, and also has the detachable cable. I don't have a pair myself, but I'm considering getting my girlfriend a pair, who seems to have lost the Shures I gave her ~5 years ago.
I dissagree with the comments then.
I bought the S1xx and S2xx series back in 2010 and returned them.
Was really dissapointed.
S535 is too expensive for me, let alone the S8xx
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by azepine00
I have shure 215 which i bought to replace my old shure e3c (wgich i forgot on a plane after 8 yrs of heavy use) and sound quality unfortunately is worse. there seems to be much more focus on base rather than individual detail.
Prob ok for $100 but dont expect too much...

Without price considerations i d try 535s or new bose set which seems to be quite popular...
Originally Posted by barte
I dissagree with the comments then.
I bought the S1xx and S2xx series back in 2010 and returned them.
Was really dissapointed.
S535 is too expensive for me, let alone the S8xx
a long long time ago in a galaxy far away i had multiple pairs of shure e2c and e3c.

loved them. but then lost or otherwise destroyed them (1 pair got chewed up by dogs).

they had replaced the eXXXc lines with new seXXX. i tried but didnt like - these new models had inferior fit and inferior sound. from that day on i went to etymotic and never looked back.

so i agree with you both.

however, i, too, have heard very good things about SE535 in particular. and i think they require a proper source and/or good amplifier to sound their best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.