Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Replacing Surface Pro - Asus T100TAM or Acer Switch 10?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Replacing Surface Pro - Asus T100TAM or Acer Switch 10?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
There is a lot to like about the Onada. I was wondering whether cases/keyboards for the iPad Air 2 would work ok with it.
I was thinking the same thing in relation to accessories... I was going to take it into Best Buy or Microcente and try some cases to see if they fit, I just got cold feet about the lack of a quick return or warranty process.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The T100TAM hardware is great, but the Windows 10 Preview is rough and requires relatively frequent restarts to keep everything running smoothly. If the UI wasnt so superior for use on a hybrid I would roll-back to 8.1, but the UI really is that much better.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:32 am
Original Poster

~2 months in I'm liking the T100TAM better than the Surface Pro for travel, mainly because it's just more stable on tray tables but also because it's much lighter in-hand in tablet mode for use during take-off and landing.

That said, I'm not using it much at home, either in tablet mode or laptop mode, similar to the Surface Pro. I still find myself defaulting to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" or my phone for casual browsing on the couch or in bed... the 8" size is just superior for casual consumption.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
~2 months in I'm liking the T100TAM better than the Surface Pro for travel, mainly because it's just more stable on tray tables but also because it's much lighter in-hand in tablet mode for use during take-off and landing.

That said, I'm not using it much at home, either in tablet mode or laptop mode, similar to the Surface Pro. I still find myself defaulting to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" or my phone for casual browsing on the couch or in bed... the 8" size is just superior for casual consumption.
That's been my feeling as well. I'm happy that I have the option of using my Asus as a tablet, and I've occasionally done so. And then, to analogize to the paper world, I realize the difference between holding a textbook and a paperback. Plus, there is something to be said for the wider world of Android (and Apple) apps--although much like when Android started, it's a bit early to determine whether the MS app pool will get big enough to narrow that gap.

As a result, I haven't banished my Nexus 7 from my travel kit just yet.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Poster

I think the analogy of hardback and paperback is the best one. The app difference from Android to Windows really only hits me for one particular app, and that's the Pulse News Reader... I've been trying Bing News and News Bento, but I'm just not completely satisfied with either (too much drilling-down for each source). That said, 10" is still just too big for casual consumption for me.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I think the analogy of hardback and paperback is the best one. The app difference from Android to Windows really only hits me for one particular app, and that's the Pulse News Reader... I've been trying Bing News and News Bento, but I'm just not completely satisfied with either (too much drilling-down for each source). That said, 10" is still just too big for casual consumption for me.
The tablet part of the hybrid I like best, though, is the tablet-like recharging ability. I can carry the Asus and the Nexus in this, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, while packing a multi-port USB charger and cables in my normal carryon. Even with two devices, I've gotten rid of the power brick and cord and have been able to downsize the electronics enough to make it all work with one bag as I can stuff the Asus and Nexus in after passing through security. I can even use a reasonably powerful external battery, like this, which I'd use for other purposes anyway, unlike a backup battery for a laptop, to charge the Asus, meaning I'm likely to be able to work for 15-18 hours without recharging.

So although the Asus didn't eliminate the need for a smaller tablet, it did eliminate the need for a full second bag, making my travel easier.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

I still use a second bag, the same one I used with the Surface Pro, but my main bag is pretty minimalist as far as rollers go (Eagle Creek rolling tote that I do ~3 days out of). That said, my second bag is also pretty tiny, meant for an 11.6" netbook, though it carries my T100TAM, a small 6" x 8" notebook, and all my chargers/headphones/cables/gadgets. I too use a multi-port charger, a 3.4A model that seems to handle both the Asus and my Moto X 2014 with no issue, though the Asus did require me to replace my cheapo retractable cables with better 28+24AWG cables for full speed charging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.