Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Windows/Android tablet with LTE/Cellular functionality that can be taken to the UK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Windows/Android tablet with LTE/Cellular functionality that can be taken to the UK?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Hey,

I thought this might be an appropriate forum to post because many of you are frequent travels, often internationally.

I want to buy a tablet to gift my former professor who is in the U.K (greater London area). I am in Houston, TX USA and am traveling to the UK shortly.

I have been researching about tablets, and am coming across one hitch, identifying a windows or android OS tablet that has LTE (cellular data) functionality, that I can buy in the USA and gift it to someone in the UK who can then put in a local SIM card with a UK service provider.

Basically, it implies that the device will have to be 'unlocked' and not under contract with any U.S carrier.

The features the user would like on the tablet are:

1) Approximately 10 inch screen

2) USB connectivity

3) Pen/stylus would be good but not necessary

I know there are plenty of options without the LTE/cellular option, however, I was wondering if there is any option that has LTE/cellular functionality and is not bound by contract?

Thank you very much,
Andrew
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: *G
LTE is one specific subset band or channels of cellular signal.

Almost all GSM devices today have a wide enough channel set to support most GSM carriers in most geographies.

Nexus and iPads tablets can get you there. Current gen and previous gen with data support are or can be sold un-locked.

E.G. check here for network compatibility
http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Pretty sure that only iPads sold in the US has global LTE.

The Android tablets have a US and International SKUs with different LTE bands.

For instance if you want Nexus 7 LTE for Europe, you buy in Europe or pay for an imported one.

All tablets with radios will support UMTS or 3G globally.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:10 am

Remember that different SKUs doesn't always get you the complete answer. My ATT iPhone 5s has a different SKU from its European counterpart, but I roam on LTE in many European countries. You may gave to be a little picky about the European carrier that you want to go with, but there is more overlap with each release.

I would keep my eye out on the Nexus 9. There isn't much on the LTE version yet.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
No Apple is targeting to support as many LTE bands in their devices as possible.

But they're the exception, not the rule.

I've looked at Nexus and Samsung devices and they're splitting them off by regions.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:29 am

The Sony Xperia Z3 LTE international version unlocked would work with most carriers LTE in US and UK and probably most of the world. But the unlocked international version is not sold in the US. You could buy it thru a company that imports them or thru another country. On ebay, it is about $520. And On amazon marketplace, it is about $550. It is up there in the iPad Air price range though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.