Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Alternative iPhone Sync to iTunes for music?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternative iPhone Sync to iTunes for music?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by KevinSFO
...I simply had to drag folders from from my computer's hard drive to the Archos drive to install music on the player.
Would that it were that simple on the iPhone.

Hopefully, someday someone will invent a way to do so.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:37 pm
HMO

Sorry, flexibility & Apple don't match.

IMO, your options are:
- forget your way, accept the apple way, stuck with iTunes and learn how to use playlists;
- jailbreak your phone and install some non approved software which will let you do what you want, and not what Apple wants;
- change music platform - it can be via android phone or stand alone player.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: Platinum Card Rewards
I am surprised at all the mis statements about iTunes in this thread. But let's keep it simple
you want answers to how to organize iTunes on a PC? go to a Mac store and get the correct information.
If you don't like iTunes just delete the application and use media player or any other PC music Player.
Here's some info on how to sync to iTunes. http://support.apple.com/kb/ph12313 .
Don't expect iTunes to display iTunes music files the way a PC displays files. iTunes is a different animal.
If you want to master iTunes use the stores that provide the training.

Happily, when it comes to managing music flexibility & Apple do match.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:07 am

Even If you have a PC a Mac store will be happy to show the ropes managing
your music using iTunes. Your expectations regarding folders on an iPhone
are unreasonable. iTunes is an Apple product that is also designed for PC
and you can use iTunes without other Mac products. Once you introduce another
apple product, i.e. iPhone or iPad then the Programing in iTunes speaks to the device
and thru syncing arranges music and artwork in logical order which can be changed in a variety of
ways to your liking. Can you see those files outside of iTunes? Yes but seeing them and
rearranging them defeats the purpose of how and where the files are stored.

I've used the Windows and the Mac version. It's like the old saying "it's easy once you know How

Originally Posted by cblaisd
This seems the closest thread to ask this on....

I have my music on my laptop set up the way I want it: which is in various folders for artists (not albums). I don't have any "playlists." When I want to play music on my computer, I navigate to where I have my music, select the artist folder, select songs.

I moved everything out of the iTunes library folder because iTunes made a complete hash of my carefully set up system and replaced it with albums.

So, I don't keep my music in "My Music" folder (Windows 7) anymore because I once experienced iTunes somehow grabbing it and doing the re-hash again.

I want a way to sync MY folder structure to my iPhone so that I can do on my iPhone what I do on my computer: have a music folder (which contains several one-off songs by artists for which that's the only song) which I can navigate to and then select the artist folder.

Is there a program (for Windows? App for the iPhone) that will let me do it like Frank Sinatra?

And that's free
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:08 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Music4u
If you don't like iTunes just delete the application and use media player or any other PC music Player.

Now, please read the OP original post and kindly explain all of us how to delete the iPhone's Music application and, most important, where OP can find an iPhone player according his requests / desires.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Sep 29, 2014 at 7:18 am Reason: removed irrelevant content
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMO

Now, please read the OP original post and kindly explain all of us how to delete the iPhone's Music application and, most important, where OP can find an iPhone player according his requests / desires.
It has been explained several times that what the OP wants is flat out not possible unless he jailbreaks his phone or buys a different kind of music player.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:59 am
HMO

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It has been explained several times that what the OP wants is flat out not possible unless he jailbreaks his phone or buys a different kind of music player.
I'm pretty sure I wrote something similar few post earlier...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Upgrade to Android
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:30 am

As per your request here are the instructions for removing iTunes from a Windows PC. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923 These instructions are much the same for removing most Windows application with consideration given in this case for effective removal.

Originally Posted by HMO

Last edited by Music4u; Sep 29, 2014 at 11:44 am
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HMO
Sorry, flexibility & Apple don't match.
Yeah, I've figured that out...

- jailbreak your phone and install some non approved software which will let you do what you want, and not what Apple wants
Does this suggest that you know of a Cyida app that would do this?

Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:10 pm

I posted this earlier but it got deleted when mod locked the thread. Here it is again.. I think this app could do what you want OP:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/docu...364901807?mt=8

It can wirelessly sync your folders and music between your PC and iPhone. And it can play music stored in the folders. I think that's what you want right?

Last edited by Need; Sep 29, 2014 at 2:24 pm
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:14 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Does this suggest that you know of a Cyida app that would do this?

Thanks.
Unfortunately no
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:20 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by Music4u
As per your request here are the instructions for removing iTunes from a Windows PC. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923 These instructions are much the same for removing most Windows application with consideration given in this case for effective removal.
Let's try again...

OP doesn't want to use native iPhone's Music app.

OP wants an iPhone player able to adhere to his folders & sub-folders structure.

OP doesn't care (in this case) about PC iTunes neither PC music player.

Your instructions, despite correct, aren't pertinent for the current OP needs.

I hope you can help OP now
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
I posted this earlier but it got deleted when mod locked the thread. Here it is again.. I think this app could do what you want OP:

It can wirelessly sync your folders and music between your PC and iPhone. And it can play music stored in the folders. I think that's what you want right?
This looks VERY promising indeed. I can't quite figure out how to export folders and their files and not just the audio files in those folders, though.

ETA: Figured it out

Originally Posted by HMO
Let's try again...

OP doesn't want to use native iPhone's Music app.

OP wants an iPhone player able to adhere to his folders & sub-folders structure.
Excellent summary

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 29, 2014 at 2:55 pm
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need

Sorry, I deleted it because when I clicked the link all I saw was that it was a document reader. I missed the "media player" part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.