Wiki Posts
Search

Amazon Prime & Android tablet

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Amazon Prime & Android tablet

When I'm traveling, I can view Netflix programs on my Android tablet and thought I could do the same with Amazon Prime programs. Surprise! I can't. Is there any way to do this?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by linsj
When I'm traveling, I can view Netflix programs on my Android tablet and thought I could do the same with Amazon Prime programs. Surprise! I can't. Is there any way to do this?
Not easily. There are reports of success using the Dolphin browser with Adobe Flash enabled, but it's not a straightforward process.

Amazon needs to have at least one reason for you to purchase a Kindle
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Instant Video works fine on my ipad. There are a thousand kinds of Android so saying you have Android doesn't narrow it down that much.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ou81two
Instant Video works fine on my ipad.
And Monday is a day of the week.

Which makes about as much sense as your comment. The OP didn't mention the iPad, so why you brought it up is a mystery.

OP; Sadly, Amazon keeps this feature to the Kindle Fire. So unless you switch to that, it won't work. As the previous poster said, there are dirty workarounds, but none are all that easy or reliable.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ScottC
And Monday is a day of the week.

Which makes about as much sense as your comment. The OP didn't mention the iPad, so why you brought it up is a mystery.

OP; Sadly, Amazon keeps this feature to the Kindle Fire. So unless you switch to that, it won't work. As the previous poster said, there are dirty workarounds, but none are all that easy or reliable.
They have a Windows player called Unbox that can also play downloadable Prime videos. Using it is not obvious, but it worked for me on two flights last week.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP here. I don't have a Windows tablet, iPad, etc. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8--Android. Looking for a workaround--and definitely not renewing Prime when my subscription is up.

<There are reports of success using the Dolphin browser with Adobe Flash enabled, but it's not a straightforward process.> What's not straightforward about this?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:59 pm

OP here. I don't have a Windows tablet, iPad, etc. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8--Android. Looking for a workaround--and definitely not renewing Prime when my subscription is up.

<There are reports of success using the Dolphin browser with Adobe Flash enabled, but it's not a straightforward process.> What's not straightforward about this?
Would you like me to google it for you?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
- Installing flash on Android 4.2 and later requires side-loading and isn't oficially supported by Adobe.

- Enabling Flash in Dolphin on Android 4.2 and later requires editing text files deep in the file system using something like ES Explorer and a text editor.

- Getting Amazon to see Dolphin as desktop Chrome/IE/Firefox requires changing the User Agent in the Dolphin settings (probably the easiest step).

- Navigating and viewing will be done from the desktop version of the Amazon site, so no touch optimization.
It's not a particular daunting task for anyone who tinkers with Android, but for anyone whose response is "what is flash", "what is a file explorer", or "what is a user agent" then I would say it probably isn't a straight-forward process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.