Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

eBook Readers: Kindle vs Nook vs other — any recent experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eBook Readers: Kindle vs Nook vs other — any recent experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:47 pm

Can't wait to get the new Paperwhite! Hopefully it's snappier than my 2+ year old version, which is basically the only bummer with the device.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The kindles are currently on sale, generally $20 off.

Amazon Amazon
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by WIRunner
The kindles are currently on sale, generally $20 off.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQVZDJM/...f_rd_i=desktop
I wonder if this means updated models are on the way? (though I thought the Paperwhite was recently improved...)
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
We love our Kobo readers. Me and my son have the H20 and my wife the Glo HD.

One thing I see though is they are starting to mature in features and technology. Future models might get a little lighter, a little quicker but the resolution is almost like paper and backlit and storage is already there. I see keeping our current models for quite a few years.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:26 pm

Still using an older Kindle Keyboard here. Slight stress crack on the lower right part of the frame below the screen, but still kicking. Not planning on replacing it any time soon.

I'm thinking the same thing Tocsin is thinking -- new models coming out for Christmas.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
Still using an older Kindle Keyboard here. Slight stress crack on the lower right part of the frame below the screen, but still kicking. Not planning on replacing it any time soon.

I'm thinking the same thing Tocsin is thinking -- new models coming out for Christmas.
I've got a keyboard also--while I make little use of the keyboard itself I really love the buttons on the edges to turn the page, something that only their top of the line touchscreen model has.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kindle update:

Entry level ($80) Kindle has been updated, the Paperwhite is unchanged other than adding a white colour option. The Voyage and Oasis are unchanged.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/22/...-and-still-80/
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
I've had many versions of Kindle - the original, keyboard, then two different versions of the Paperwhite (second on an upgrade/trade-in offer from Amazon). The paperwhite is light, crisp, great backlight, plenty of storage. I wish I could still put music on it but that's a quibble.

Recently as a gift I got an Oasis. I had read many reviews that said it was not worth the extra cost, and that's probably true. But wow - so small, so light, great cover! It is way more than twice as nice as a paperwhite. I like the cover because the screen is protected in a bag. And without the cover it is incredibly light and well-balanced; it's easy to hold one-handed for hours, and the page-turn buttons are much more responsive than the Paperwhite's touch screen (but the latter is still available of course).
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I still have a couple of old Sony PRS's. Unfortunately, they have developed a random problem that they become incredibly sluggish when the battery gets at all low. What I love about them is that they built in Spanish-English dictionary has almost any word I thrown at it, simply by tapping the Spanish word. When reading in Spanish in print, I have a dictionary on my phone, which is free, but doesn't have nearly as many words, and is a bit clunky to have to access the content.

I prefer reading on the Kindle Fire tablet, especially at night on planes because the screen is backlit. I do read books on my phone, but I'm not really wild about that.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just upgraded from the Paperwhite (1st gen) to the Voyage. The extra LEDs are noticeable, as is the extra screen resolution, and I guess weight reduction. The biggest issue I had with the Paperwhite was the way it was unevenly lit. I went with the 3G edition this time.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:41 pm

I just got the Kobo Aura H2O, and I must say it is very nice, easy to read both in direct sunlight and in complete darkness (using only about 10% of the backlight, using 100% makes it a torch ), the screen quality is very good.

It also comes with sodoku and some card games which is not bad at all when you are tired of reading.

It is pretty expensive, and I don't know how it compares to others since it is my first one, however I would definitely recommend it.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Amazon Prime Day is July 12th. My guess is they'll throw the various versions of Kindles on sale.

Cheers.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I just upgraded from the Paperwhite (1st gen) to the Voyage. The extra LEDs are noticeable, as is the extra screen resolution, and I guess weight reduction. The biggest issue I had with the Paperwhite was the way it was unevenly lit. I went with the 3G edition this time.
I have a Voyage and love it. I just need a list of decent books to read. Heading off to Omni to the "what book are you reading now" thread.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Right now, the Kobo Aura is again ahead, this time with the One . The textured back and the thinness makes it comfortable to hold despite the screen being huge. It also automatically switched to orange when it's time to sleep to let you go to sleep, it's the blue in the white light that disrupts you. Real nice.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:15 am

I'd go for Kindle for reading.

This is a great read for Kindle and Nook users!

KINDLE OASIS VS. NOOK GLOWLIGHT PLUS: LET THEM FIGHT by Nick Hastings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.