Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

eBook Readers: Kindle vs Nook vs other — any recent experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eBook Readers: Kindle vs Nook vs other — any recent experience?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:39 am
Community Director Emerita

I enthusiastically recommend a Kindle Paperwhite. My steps that led to this purchase:

- bought a Nook. Felt economic book deals were rarer than with Amazon. Returned it.
- bought a Kindle
- shortly thereafter, bought a Kindle Paperwhite. And now I am content. I like it because I can read in a dark room or on a plane even if the lightbulb is burned out.

I signed up for bookbub.com. Everyday, I get an email with books that fit my profile, ranging from free up to $3.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
The benefit of Nook (I have) is epub. You have a lot more flexibility in terms of books and files.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
The benefit of Nook (I have) is epub. You have a lot more flexibility in terms of books and files.
Calibre will convert epubs to mobis, they work fine on a Kindle.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scifience
Hmm, the links may be personalised then. There's some more details on Slickdeals:

https://slickdeals.net/f/6885692-ama...4-hdx-154-ymmv

Check the Amazon home page for offers or the Kindle product page for an orange bar at the top; that's where I originally saw it. You may have to refresh a few times.
Still no go. I don't buy a lot of Kindle books, maybe they don't think I'm a good target for the ad.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Still no go. I don't buy a lot of Kindle books, maybe they don't think I'm a good target for the ad.
It was a targeted deal, only for those who are Prime members and who buy a good deal of books. There was a discussion about this on reddit, which bummed some of the posters because they were told they didn't qualify.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I have a Kindle paperwhite. LOVE IT. Very easy to use, small, and I can read it in the dark as it has an adjustable built in light.
I've had Kindles since the first generation and love them. Can't even tell you how many times people come up to me while I am reading outside at a hotel to ask me if they can look at my Kindle because they can't see their iPad to read........
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TricoReue
It was a targeted deal, only for those who are Prime members and who buy a good deal of books. There was a discussion about this on reddit, which bummed some of the posters because they were told they didn't qualify.
I guess that's why I'm not seeing it. I wouldn't mind a cheap paperwhite.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We're Prime and we buy books from Amazon (plus oodles of other stuff). Still can't find the Paperwhite offer... We're not completely in the market for a new reader but for $44 I'd take a Paperwhite any day of the week.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Right on the front page when I log in to amazon is a $49.00 deal for a Kindle or $99 with wifi. It is a Mother's Day deal.........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Last edited by Emeraldcity; Apr 28, 2014 at 3:25 pm
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I enthusiastically recommend a Kindle Paperwhite. My steps that led to this purchase:

- bought a Nook. Felt economic book deals were rarer than with Amazon. Returned it.
- bought a Kindle
- shortly thereafter, bought a Kindle Paperwhite. And now I am content. I like it because I can read in a dark room or on a plane even if the lightbulb is burned out.

I signed up for bookbub.com. Everyday, I get an email with books that fit my profile, ranging from free up to $3.
^ This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get... thanks so much!

I was already leaning toward the Paperwhite, since it only weighs about an ounce more than the entry model. Seems a worthwhile bit extra for the value of the light, and still comes in at about a third of the iPad's weight. I guess I'm sold!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
Right on the front page when I log in to amazon is a $49.00 deal for a Kindle or $99 with wifi. It is a Mother's Day deal.........

That's a decent $20 off for those who didn't get the targeted deal (now dead, which was $19 and $44 respectively).
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity

That's nowhere near as good as the targeted offer.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Did my post about the Aura HD show up in all this Kindle lovefest?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also love the fact that the Kindle doesn't have the distractions that the iPad does. Like webmail, browsing etc.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by richard
I also love the fact that the Kindle doesn't have the distractions that the iPad does. Like webmail, browsing etc.
The paperwhite does...
There is still the experimental browser and a few basic apps. It is not an enjoyable web experience, but basic games like Sudoku and a crossword work out just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.