Any experience with ting mobile?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC

I have need to use a support desk application that is presently only available for iPhone. Being plenty happy with my Moto X and Blackberry Q10, I don't really need a new iPhone just for this so I'm thinking of getting a used Sprint iPhone 4s and putting it on Ting. More often than not I'd just use it off a hotspot on another phone like an iPod touch - but having a phone number not normally turned on that I can occasionally give out has some value so I was thinking of activating it on Ting. Would be curious to hear any experiences. For someone like me who almost never makes voice calls the pricing is very attractive. Were it not for Sprint's network I'd find it very attractive as a primary!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:59 pm

I've had good luck with Ting. I purchased an Android phone through another Ting user and setup the phone for use exclusively as a WiFi hotspot. I disabled voice, texts, etc. Just data. Coverage was fine (U.S. only) billing was honest, reliable and the usage dashboard is well organized.

A few months ago, I moved to FreedomPop - am I now supporting the Tea Party? Anyway, I now pay $4/month for 500 MB of data vs. the $19 I was paying Ting. But if/when FreedomPop folds, I'd go back to Ting.

Last edited by boberonicus; Feb 4, 2014 at 5:07 pm
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boberonicus
A few months ago, I moved to FreedomPop - am I now supporting the Tea Party?
Huh?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:37 pm

OK, it was a bad joke. But dontcha think that if the Tea Party had an ISP, they'd call it FreedomPOP?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:10 pm
Suspended

OK, it was a bad joke. But dontcha think that if the Tea Party had an ISP, they'd call it FreedomPOP?
Ah, ok, good. I was worried I was going to have to drop all three of my FreedomPop accounts....
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I hadn't looked at FreedomPop in a while. I remember they had some WiMax case to snap around an iPhone. It looks like their offerings have changed quite a bit. It looks like I could take a Sprint device and activate it with them without the need for the gimicky case. Is that right?

Edited to add: a number of articles I found said that the iPhone is not supported yet. Still the case? As you can see in the OP, the only reason I'm looking into this is to use one app that doesn't yet have an Android version. Worst comes to worst I'll just tether off my other phones, but would be willing to pay a nominal amount for the convenience of picking it up and working.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I hadn't looked at FreedomPop in a while. I remember they had some WiMax case to snap around an iPhone. It looks like their offerings have changed quite a bit. It looks like I could take a Sprint device and activate it with them without the need for the gimicky case. Is that right?

Edited to add: a number of articles I found said that the iPhone is not supported yet. Still the case? As you can see in the OP, the only reason I'm looking into this is to use one app that doesn't yet have an Android version. Worst comes to worst I'll just tether off my other phones, but would be willing to pay a nominal amount for the convenience of picking it up and working.
Not yet, but supposedly eventually. Looks like you have to use their app to dial out and text though, which kind of sucks since everything in the iPhone gets routed to the native apps.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:04 am

My right to life brother-in-law opened a company called "Choice Insurance" and I suggested that people might draw the same type of inference.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Bump... Any recent experiences with either Ting or Freedom Pop?

Now that the industry is moving away from subsidized devices, I'm not sure what compelling reason there is to pay more for Sprint.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Bump... Any recent experiences with either Ting or Freedom Pop?

Now that the industry is moving away from subsidized devices, I'm not sure what compelling reason there is to pay more for Sprint.
I don't use FreedomPop personally, but I have a friend who has been using it because he is really, really cheap. Have tried two devices. It is total carp. It seems that even if you pay more for the premium voice feature, the default is to send voice calls over the data network unless the data network absolutely isn't available. That means your call quality is always bottom-priority for the network. Also, he has to reboot his device frequently because it will just stop receiving calls. Or making calls. Multiple devices of different brands. It is garbage.

It seems that the better option for something like FreedomPop but not is RingPlus. We are looking at flashing his Moto G back to stock Sprint so he can switch.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I wonder if Ting does something similar? I don't use a *ton* of voice, but I don't want the voice to suck, either.

The thing that's appealing about Ting (for me) is that we already own Sprint phones that are out of contract. Two Galaxy S5's, one Galaxy S4 Mini, and I'll probably buy an S6 refurb and give the S4 to my daughter.

I believe we'd be able to manage our data use into a range that makes the math work...
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
I wonder if Ting does something similar? I don't use a *ton* of voice, but I don't want the voice to suck, either.

The thing that's appealing about Ting (for me) is that we already own Sprint phones that are out of contract. Two Galaxy S5's, one Galaxy S4 Mini, and I'll probably buy an S6 refurb and give the S4 to my daughter.

I believe we'd be able to manage our data use into a range that makes the math work...
No - Ting doesn't do anything funny that screws with the quality or ease of use. Ting just charges you for what you use. No gimmicks.

RingPlus is also a Spring MVNO - But unless you are super cheap I'd recommend Ting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.