Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lightbulbs / table lamps in the EU?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Lightbulbs / table lamps in the EU?

What type of light bulb bases are common in Europe, i.e. Istanbul?

Wondering if we should send daughter (study abroad student) off with a small table lamp,110>220 converter, and incandescent bulbs, OR if it's possible for the US incandescent bulb to fit in table/desk lamps to fit into the lamps found in Eastern Europe, e.g. Turkey. Meaning, are they the same size and thread style?

Daughter abhors fluorescent lighting and will forego suitcase space usually allocated to clothing for an incandescent lighting fixture, if necessary.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Has she thought about just buying a table lamp when she gets to her destination? Eg:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Table-Lamps-...&node=10709391

How long is she travelling for, and does she intend to take it back with her or leave it behind?

Your query is slightly confusing. You talk about both the EU and Turkey. Where do you want to use it? Unlike the USA, there are different plugs required in different countries in the EU, and for countries outside the EU - like the USA and Turkey they operate to different standards. EG:-
http://www.interpower.com/ic/designe...-single-phase/
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by elizadoo

Wondering if we should send daughter (study abroad student) off with a small table lamp,110>220 converter, and incandescent bulbs, OR if it's possible for the US incandescent bulb to fit in table/desk lamps to fit into the lamps found in Eastern Europe, e.g. Turkey. Meaning, are they the same size and thread style?

Daughter abhors fluorescent lighting and will forego suitcase space usually allocated to clothing for an incandescent lighting fixture, if necessary.
US uses e26 and europe uses e27

they are interchangeable generally - the sizes are similar. its the bulb that needs to support 220v power supply.

ive taken some nice lamps from schoolhouseelectric and it works fine
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antichef
Has she thought about just buying a table lamp when she gets to her destination? Eg:-
She wants incandescent bulbs, which I think are banned in the EU (and Turkey).

Sorry for the confusion: she will be studying in Turkey, then later move on to Spain and Portugal...no UK, France, or Germany.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:23 am

If it is Turkish Incandescent bulbs needed, the look at this:-

http://www.horozelektrik.com/en/lamp...ndescent-bulbs

But EU bulbs are different:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=248792031

You can get either screw fit or bayonet for the bulb, and if the OP is considering bringing a light from the USA, they need plug converters for the fitting base too for whichever country.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:48 am
Original Poster

If it is Turkish Incandescent bulbs needed, the look at this:-

http://www.horozelektrik.com/en/lamp...ndescent-bulbs

But EU bulbs are different:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=248792031

You can get either screw fit or bayonet for the bulb, and if the OP is considering bringing a light from the USA, they need plug converters for the fitting base too for whichever country.

Thank you thank you thank you antichef--I will print this page out for her so she can go to the store in Istanbul and buy the incandescent bulb, and she can also buy the lamp there, in Istanbul.

Is "Akkorlu Ampuller" correct Turkish words for incandescent light bulb? Thank you again!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:05 am

My Turkish is very limited but Google translate has it as "akkor ampul"
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
She wants incandescent bulbs, which I think are banned in the EU (and Turkey).

Sorry for the confusion: she will be studying in Turkey, then later move on to Spain and Portugal...no UK, France, or Germany.
One European lamp will work in all those countries, with the same bulb and, I think, the same plug. If the wall outlets are different somewhere, all she'll need is a plug adapter. They all use 240 volts at 50 hertz.

Has your daughter tried LED lamps? Nicer ones provide light very similar to the dreadfully inefficient incandescent lamp, and they last many times longer.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I must say that I'm with the first reply to this. Bringing a lamp from the US will require a power adapter to support 220v for your 110v lamp. Then you need to make sure you have different plug adapters for the various countries you are in. As a travelling student I would have thought that it is much easier to just buy a simple desk lamp when you get there. Travel light!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I must say that I'm with the first reply to this. Bringing a lamp from the US will require a power adapter to support 220v for your 110v lamp. Then you need to make sure you have different plug adapters for the various countries you are in. As a travelling student I would have thought that it is much easier to just buy a simple desk lamp when you get there. Travel light!
Actually, it doesn't require a transformer (power adapter). As long as the lamp has a 220v light bulb and a plug adapter, an American lamp can be used in Europe. I used American lamps when I lived in Germany and brought home a few German lamps that I use in the US.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by Megn
Actually, it doesn't require a transformer (power adapter). As long as the lamp has a 220v light bulb and a plug adapter, an American lamp can be used in Europe. I used American lamps when I lived in Germany and brought home a few German lamps that I use in the US.
Not at all true! Check the bulb. Most US bulbs will quickly blow out on 220V and at worst cause a fire.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:54 am

Base is likely to be compatible. Voltage and plug likely not. You'll need an adapter for the plug which uses "Euro style" two pin plugs. Inserting a US type bulb will most assureddly get a big pop if you power it up since US uses 120 V and Turkey uses 240 V.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:56 am

How long is she travelling for, and does she intend to take it back with her or leave it behind?

Your query is slightly confusing. You talk about both the EU and Turkey. Where do you want to use it? Unlike the USA, there are different plugs required in different countries in the EU, and for countries outside the EU - like the USA and Turkey they operate to different standards. EG:-
http://www.interpower.com/ic/designe...-single-phase/
Turkey basically uses the same plugs as in Europe. The basic round two-pin plug or two pin round with a ground strip on the top.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by weekilter
Turkey basically uses the same plugs as in Europe. The basic round two-pin plug or two pin round with a ground strip on the top.
That is not exactly true I am afraid, hence why I posted the link to the different countries. Turkey uses the same plugs as some of the countries in the European Union. Within the EU there are a variety of plug types. I have to travel throughout the EU with a multiple adapter.

The federal USA uses one style of plug. There is no such place as "Europe", and they do not have any form of federal government. Much less any unified system of electric plugs.

Some EU countries drive on the right side of the road, and some on the left too
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Not at all true! Check the bulb. Most US bulbs will quickly blow out on 220V and at worst cause a fire.
Yes. That's why you put a 220v light bulb in the lamp before you plug it in in Europe. Reread what I posted. I never said to use an American bulb in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.