Wiki Posts
Search

Dropbox alternatives

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Dropbox alternatives

I've been having issues with Dropbox for the last few days and have been unable to get hold of anyone at the company to tell me what is going on. I've been a paid customer for a while and in light of this major incident have decided to move my business elsewhere.

I've done some research and I think I will go with Wuala. They seem to offer a very good level of security at a reasonable price (9.99€). Do you guys have any experience with them or some similar service?

Last edited by valdor; Jan 12, 2014 at 7:21 am
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Dropbox was attacked. They are up now.

https://tech.dropbox.com/2014/01/dropbox-status-update/

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/10/dropbo...tenance-issue/

No experience with wuala. I use dropbox on my mobile devices, no one else seems to have the third party app integration that dropbox has...
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Dropbox was attacked.
That doesn't appear to be the case, from everything I've read on this (including the links you sent)
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
My Dropbox has been fine and just did a bit of desktop housekeeping this morning, it's sync. with its own partitioned HDD on the "home" server. DDos happened 24/7/365 on the web, still have as much faith in their cyber-security as what I store on SkyDrive & Google Drive, etc.

It really depends on what OP use Dropbox for, given his/her unspecified physical locale, and the alternatives and selecting a Swiss-based provider certainly has its advantage vs. US-based ones, for fairly obvious reasons. Not all of them run on the Linux platform & that's important to me. As a general rule, I do not enable automatic iCloud storage functions on tablets & smartphones.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They had an outage after planned maintenance. This was mainly fixed after a few hours, but apparently there are still some lingering issues.

During the outage, at least one "hacker" group took credit on Twitter for the outage, claiming that they had hacked the site and stolen user credential. They even went as far as publishing a small number of the credentials they had "stolen" - which turned out to be credentials taken from a mailing list for an Irish website several months ago and had nothing at all to do with DropBox.

You can find the latest on the outage at https://tech.dropbox.com/

Last edited by FTcadence; Jan 14, 2014 at 11:13 am
Old Jan 12, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
It depends a lot on what features are important to you.

I chose to "roll my own". I run OpenUpload on a linux (Debian) VM at home. Total Cost: $0. My colleagues and customers also use it to send each other files.

No one to blame for security/privacy but myself.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
http://www.box.net
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:35 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
As part of a transition to a new computer, I took a long look at cloud storage. I finally opted for SkyDrive, in part because their prices are better than Dropbox.

I looked at Box a long time, particularly since I have 50GB of free storage with them. For the life of me I couldn't figure out whether I could continually sync a folder and subfolders automatically on a free plan, or if that's only available with paid plans. Their help/support materials are a complete mess. (If anyone knows the answer to that question, I'd love to hear it.)
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also use own cloud that we host ourselves. It's pretty good. But Dropbox integrates with everything.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:02 pm

Some people on Ars Technica have suggested ownCloud, AeroFS and Tonido as alternatives; I have no experience with any of them.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
One other option: Sharefile by Citrix http://www.sharefile.com/
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Any opinions on Apple's cloud service?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've been using Box since getting 50gb free for downloading the app on an LG smartphone. My only complaint is the 250mb individual file size limitation for free-personal accounts, but the only time it's ever been an issue was when trying to get a friend back home to upload an MKV movie for me to watch when I was on the road and forgot to bring any with me.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FXWizard
Some people on Ars Technica have suggested ownCloud, AeroFS and Tonido as alternatives; I have no experience with any of them.
owncloud is pretty good. You have to host it yourself but it's nice. And private.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:36 pm

I use Google Drive because of its convenient integration with the doc viewer and editor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.