Bluetooth Noise Cancelling Headphones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Citi Exec, Amex Plat- Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold

I know there are alot of threads on headphones but I am looking into a set of Bluetooth Noice Cancelling headphones and wanted to see what people's experiences with these are.

So far I have found this site pretty helpful bluetooth-headphones-review.toptenreviews.com/ and I think I have narrowed it down to numbers one (Parrot Zik) and two (Logitech UE 9000).

Parrot Zik- look great, cool controls, 4 mics which should have better call quality, 25 db Noice Cancelling, only 9 hr battery life.
Logitech UE 9000- 50 ft range, much better battery life, inferior call quality.

I don't take many flights over 6 hrs but do transcon and don't like the idea of having to charge on each trip but the Ziks look so damn cool. I doubt I will use them often for calls but can see it happening while waiting for flights in the lounge.

So, has anyone tried these? Thoughts? Pros and cons? Please help. I need to order them ASAP for a trip this weekend.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Nov 18, 2013 at 7:06 am Reason: removed link
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:19 am

FYI - That linked website site top ten reviews dot com has a WOT (Web of Trust) rating of RED for
- scam
- trustworthiness

Useful comparative information otherwise.

One feature they don't compare is how compact the headphones can become.
That enables me to take the Sennheiser 450s whereas otherwise I would just use earplugs for quiet and earbuds and be annoyed by the wire.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
I'm waiting on a tiny $13 bluetooth audio adapter to plug into the 3.5mm jack on my ANC7b. I figure I can make a clip to hold it on.

I don't want to shell out hundreds on new headphones if the bluetooth will hit the iPad's battery too hard to make it worth being wireless (and I like my current headphones)
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:05 am

These are the babies I bought earlier this year and they work like a charm. They arn't noise-canceling but since they fit snug in-the-ear they sound great on planes. I fly everyweek so I've had about six months to test them out.

Get the one's with the battery case, comes in handy when you want to charge them on the go.

Nice not having to deal with a cord plug.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Ba...onics+BackBeat
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Coincidentally, this was just posted on SlickDeals...

http://www.amazon.com/SoundBot-Bluet...4985335&sr=1-1

Select the KickBOT vendor on the right-hand side, enter code SOUNDBOT at checkout, and the price should be $16.99. It's gotten pretty good reviews.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Let us know which cans you selected and how you got on over the weekend on your trip. Interestingly I was going to post the exact same request as you only a day or so ago. I got my selection down to:

• Parrott Zik - they do look sexy but they don't work with Skype at all, tech support appears to be non-existent, and you can only pair one device at a time to it and you have to pair it to your phone to configure the Zik
  • UE9000 - problems with Bluetooth Android phone compatibility - I use a Samsung S4
  • Sennheiser MM450/550-X-Travel - not loud enough - multiple reviews have highlighted this
  • Sony MDR1RBT - not noise cancelling but seems that they are so good they don't need the NC but poor warranty and battery strategy (you can't replace the battery and Sony won't repair it once it's dead
  • Bose QC15 - not wireless and only compatible with Apple phones

It seems that there is no wireless, noise cancelling headphone that is perfect - all the different aspects are done well in different headphones but not all together in the single package.

I'm still not sure, so I'll be interested in hearing your feedback.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
But... but... are BT usage allowed on planes? I've been told no by flight attendants when I have asked about using my BT mouse with my laptop.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Today's offer from tech.woot.com might be worth looking at... probably not a high-end product (especially in terms of NC), but it's hard to go wrong for the price. I'm considering a set for mowing the yard, especially since I usually wear a baseball cap when working outside.

Last edited by IsleOfMan; Nov 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
It was my understanding that you couldn't use bluetooth headphones in flight? Actually I'm not sure how that might have changed since the FAA relaxed things. That said, because of that, I've been very intrigued by these guys:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYUCB8A/...ter_B00AZWWAUG

I think they may be bulkier than I'd like, but I really like the over the ear, plus the fact that it can do both bluetooth and wired, and has the noise canceling. Never used them, just seem intriguing to me. While they are branded Nokia, I can't imagine they have done anything custom that would require a windows phone, It should just be standard bluetooth protocols being used.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Originally Posted by rybob1
It was my understanding that you couldn't use bluetooth headphones in flight? Actually I'm not sure how that might have changed since the FAA relaxed things. That said, because of that, I've been very intrigued by these guys:

I think they may be bulkier than I'd like, but I really like the over the ear, plus the fact that it can do both bluetooth and wired, and has the noise canceling. Never used them, just seem intriguing to me. While they are branded Nokia, I can't imagine they have done anything custom that would require a windows phone, It should just be standard bluetooth protocols being used.
Have these and love them.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold

Originally Posted by TheTourVan
Have these and love them.
+2. Was about to post the same. Some FTer recommended it in another thread and Its pretty amazing. Works fine with a HTC Android. Only issue is that you cannot turn off NC or I'm too stupid enough to figure it out.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by quick_dry
I'm waiting on a tiny $13 bluetooth audio adapter to plug into the 3.5mm jack on my ANC7b. I figure I can make a clip to hold it on.

I don't want to shell out hundreds on new headphones if the bluetooth will hit the iPad's battery too hard to make it worth being wireless (and I like my current headphones)
How has this worked out for you? I'm considering the same solution.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
It was my understanding that you couldn't use bluetooth headphones in flight?
That's right: all Bluetooth usage onboard is prohibited during all phases of flight, whether it be for headphones, a wireless mouse, or any other use of Bluetooth.

Actually I'm not sure how that might have changed since the FAA relaxed things.
Not changed at all. The recent change related to use of non-transmitting devices below 10,000 feet. It didn't address radio transmitters above or below 10,000 feet.

The only radio transmitters permitted to be used are those specifically approved, which at this point is limited to WiFi devices when used to communicate with aircraft-provided WiFi services (whether they serve on-board content or are connected to the Internet).
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
According to BA, they allow usage of BT during cruise phase of a flight. See below:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...r/public/en_gb

Just search for bluetooth and then have a look through the article.

For AA, although BT isn't explicitly stated, I would have thought that since WiFi is mentioned it's likely that BT will be accepted. See below:

https://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/...!travelNotices

I'll be testing this out over the next month with trips from the UK to the US.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
The AA link you provide is obviously a summary of the recent changes in the regulations, and not a complete list of them. There's nothing to indicate that the recent changes to allow below-10,000' personal electronic devices made any changes to the rules that prohibit radio transmitters unless specifically authorized. Also, the talk of the recently-relaxed FAA rules implied a discussion regarding aircraft under US jurisdiction. What BA is allowed to permit in flight isn't governed by the FAA, and they may have different rules from their regulator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.