iPhone Trade-In Program Confusion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

By now, I am sure that most Travel Technology Forum members have heard about Apple offering a trade-in program for the iPhone but some details remain unclear.

Last week the Wall Street Journal said (Apple to Pay up to $280 Credit for Used iPhones)

Trading in and buying a new phone through the program won’t re-start a customer’s contract, a person familiar with the process said. Additionally, if the cost of phone they’re buying is lower than the trade-in credit they receive, they’ll get a gift card with the remaining balance.
This got me to wonder what the price would be of the new phone. Would I be able to buy one for $200 in the middle of my contract without getting an early upgrade "pass?"

Then the Journal ran another piece (Apple iPhone Trade-Ins More About Convenience Than Savings) that said:

But if a customer is trading in while in the middle of their contract, the $280 pays for a fraction of the $650 entry price for a iPhone 5 without a subsidized contract. In those scenarios, buying a new phone won’t extend the customer’s contract, a person familiar with the process said.
That seems to answer my question except that it is followed by the next paragraph which reads:

You can’t use the program to trade in for a phone not on contract.
But what iPhone is $650 other than one not on contract?

Anyone have any actual knowledge of what Apple is doing?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:36 am

Not sure if this helps or just adds to confusion: http://www.macworld.com/article/2047...l#tk.nl_mwbest

Maybe the best thing to do is visit a local apple store and ask them directly?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
This quote:
Trading in and buying a new phone through the program won’t re-start a customer’s contract, a person familiar with the process said. Additionally, if the cost of phone they’re buying is lower than the trade-in credit they receive, they’ll get a gift card with the remaining balance.
Refers to buying a new phone at the un-subsidized price. The only way to get the phone at the subsidized price is to sign up for a new 2 year contract.

So, while technically you can buy a new phone and not start or extend a contract, the phone will cost you more, probably ~$600.

I would be extremely surprised if any were able to get one for $200 in the middle of their contract unless they get an early upgrade pass. $200 is the subsidized price. No way that their un-subsidized/no contract price is $200.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:34 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I have no idea about the details of when you can trade in or on what terms, but you might be better off just selling the phone to someone directly through websites like Glyde.com for example.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:59 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
But what iPhone is $650 other than one not on contract?

Anyone have any actual knowledge of what Apple is doing?

The phone you are trading in must be under contract. In other words, can't buy one off ebay and bring it to Apple.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:50 am
Original Poster

If my trade-in requires me to start a new two year contract in order to get the "subsidized" price, then perhaps I will wait for the iPhone 6 rather than the 5s, assuming there is a 6 on the horizon. Has anyone heard anything?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
If my trade-in requires me to start a new two year contract in order to get the "subsidized" price, then perhaps I will wait for the iPhone 6 rather than the 5s, assuming there is a 6 on the horizon. Has anyone heard anything?
Some are saying the new budget iphone will be the 6.
http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-iphone-...-price-1380263
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/04...bs-influenced/
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

I was at an Apple Store today where they offered me a whopping $168 for my iPhone 4S 16 GB. I was too disappointed to inquire further.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by planes&trains
The phone you are trading in must be under contract. In other words, can't buy one off ebay and bring it to Apple.
What about people who have pre-paid phones? I bought my iPhone unlocked from an Apple Store a few years back because I am not in any one country long enough to want a contract. Does that mean I get no love from Apple?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: United MP
I have one iPhone 4 still on contract for 2 more months, and one that is out of contract just a week ago. Why can't I trade them both in for one new phone?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I was at an Apple Store today where they offered me a whopping $168 for my iPhone 4S 16 GB. I was too disappointed to inquire further.
Exactly. Why would anyone give up $100 or more for the convenience of "trading in" at an Apple store?

I just sold an out-of-contract (and thus unlocked) GSM iPhone4 for $250 on ebay. Not quite mint condition as a tiny ding on face but otherwise good condition. All of the popular trade-in websites offered $125-135. Glad to hear that I didn't miss anything at the Apple store.

If you want to upgrade your phone with AT&T or Verizon, your best route will always be to get a subsidized phone from your carrier and then resell your old phone on ebay or another reputable marketplace (there have been some robbery scams facilitated by craigslist so can't recommend that route). If you are willing to use a prepaid carrier like Virgin, GoRedPocket, Cricket, Straighttalk, etc. then you are probably better off paying full price for an unlocked iPhone and then amortizing the cost over a vastly smaller monthly bill. Note prepaid only works inside the USA so not good for many FTers who travel internationally
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
the only way to do this promo, is to ALWAYS sign up for a new 2 year contract. so, it is a perpetual extension. One can't go into apple with a previous iphone and just get money and one cannot go into an apple store and get the trade in and apply it to an unlocked, off contract phone. So, this is basically the same type of program that verizon and AT&T have offered where you can always upgrade at nearly any time. IMHO, it's not the greatest of deals. From a pricing standpoint, you'll usually get a bit more money (like 15-20%) from a gazelle or craigslist, and then just do a bi-annual upgrade with a carrier or apple.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: DL, UA, lotsa hotels
I haven't upgraded iPhones until a major number increment. When I upgraded both my and my spouse's iPhone 3 to 4, I sold each iPhone 3 on eBay for $10 less than the initial cost of the 4 with a 2-year ATT contract renewal. Same thing for 4 --> 5: at the ATT store this time, got about $15 less than the new contract plus two free iPhone 5 cases and a free power cord to use in the car with my existing USB charger, plus a waiver of the early renewal fee (it was a month before the 2-yr would have expired). All this on the first day the 5 was offered at ATT, waited in line for it and so-on.

I don't have a problem with continuing to sign up in 2-yr increments and I don't have an overriding need for the latest, i.e. I doubt I'll upgrade to the 5s or whatever they end up calling it. In fact, due to poor eyesight (or is it just normal and the iPhone screen is too small??) I plan to get a 7-in tablet soon and start using it for email, surfing, messaging, and yes, movies on the plane too -- yay! Then I think that many of the "smart" phone features of the iPhone may become redundant, so who knows, at the end of the current 2-yr contract I may downgrade my phone.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Note prepaid only works inside the USA so not good for many FTers who travel internationally
I've been using an iPhone as my international phone for the better part of the last 4 years. First an unlocked, jail broken, original iPhone and for the past year a 4S bought unlocked from Apple. I've had very few problems. The two "biggest" issues I've run into are that some prepaid carriers may not offer micro SIM cards, so I have a SIM punch and the other issue is the carrier specific APN settings which unlockit.co.nz does for you.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
You misunderstand. Your prepaid carrier does not provide international service, hence the need to purchase additional SIM cards.

for those who want to keep their # for receiving calls overseas, prepaid is not an option absent workaround i.e. google voice, and additional SIM cards. only postpaid carriers offer international roaming because the invoices can be substantial. A prepaid carrier would not know how much to charge you for your roaming when you could talk 5 or 500 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.