Prepaid SIM - South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC

I poked around and it looks like the most related thread is over a year old. I'll be in SA for about 3 weeks (minus 3 days up in Vic Falls), so I'm thinking it might be good to get a prepaid SIM with data for things like email, maps, etc while in country.

I've done some poking around and have found all the major networks, but the plans are really not that clear.

I have a T-Mobile SGS3 (T999). It is SIM unlocked already.

It appears Cell-C won't work well because their data frequency is not right for the phone (at least for high speed data).

Telkom Mobile seems reasonably priced, but their coverage seems really limited. They have the option with included roaming on MTN, but those plans are much more expensive.

MTN has their own separate plans, but I can't figure out what I need.

Vodacom's plans appear to be impossible to figure out.

I'm guessing I need about 2GB of data to be safe (probably a bit of overkill). Probably don't even need any voice credit, but it wouldn't hurt. I'll be in Cape Town, Franschhoek, two safaris attached to Kruger, and Vic Falls. I'm guessing anything I get in SA won't be applicable to Vic Falls, so I'm not worried about coverage there.

Any opinions or advice? I'll have about 2 hours on the ground at JNB before connecting to CPT, so if I can get it there during that time, that'd be great.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Bump......anyone?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
You might have better luck in the Travel Technology forum.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roger
You might have better luck in the Travel Technology forum.
Thanks, I've asked a mod to move the thread over there
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Thanks, I've asked a mod to move the thread over there
Duly done

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I'll be in SA for about 3 weeks (minus 3 days up in Vic Falls), so I'm thinking it might be good to get a prepaid SIM with data for things like email, maps, etc while in country.
We're in the same situation, so will be equally interested in responses. ^ We'll be looking for a SIM to use with our netbook via a dongle.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I'm guessing I need about 2GB of data to be safe (probably a bit of overkill). Probably don't even need any voice credit, but it wouldn't hurt. I'll be in Cape Town, Franschhoek, two safaris attached to Kruger, and Vic Falls. I'm guessing anything I get in SA won't be applicable to Vic Falls, so I'm not worried about coverage there.

Any opinions or advice? I'll have about 2 hours on the ground at JNB before connecting to CPT, so if I can get it there during that time, that'd be great.
Hi, i don't know about any other plans but i do remember that when i went to ZA i chose Vodacom. Back then i think it was the better carrier. Don't remember but i just picked the SIM card on a grocery store i think. It did well, think it had data. Dec 2010.

What i do remember is that i went to pretty remote areas on Kruger in the North. We picked a 4x2 Sportage and it was fine. Stayed in Oliphants and Bateleur (This one a bush camp). I didn't like my experience at Bateleur. It was VERY remote. Didn't have cellphone coverage. Sometimes even the Garmin GPS had hiccups.

A 4x4 is better but is doable with a 4x2. We went up from the center to the North. Remember is right hand driving. Satara camp was good too! Plenty of lions to spot! Oliphants. Great! We stopped in plenty of camps.

Franschoek is beautiful! As well as Cape Town. We stayed in Benoni near Johannesburg, very beautiful in Benoni. On our way to Kruger we stopped at : http://www.moholoholo.co.za/ya-mati

It was the BEST thing and also very cheap!!! OH and please try : The Butcher's Shop while in Johannesburg. Meat is delicious in Africa!

My best trip ever!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I was there a couple years ago and grabbed a Vodacom SIM card right at their shop in the airport. They had a printout there of the various data packages and you have the choice of various amounts (500mb, 1gb, 2gb, etc...) with the prices listed for each.

The data worked fine with my phone after entering the APN information (make sure to look this up ahead of time), and I was able to use wifi tether. The speeds were actually faster than the DSL provided in the hotel, so we tethered and used the phone instead of regular internet.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
I spent the majority of 2012 living in cape town and did the flight back from JFK to CPT every 2-3 weeks.

I would go to a vodacom store, they sell sim cards for relatively cheap like 20-50 rand depending on if its a normal sim, micro, mini etc. They have various plans for data which you will need to buy seperate from the voice. Voice runs on rates, so you can preload with however much you want and depending on where you call it will deduct accordingly.

Data you have to prepay by how much data you want to buy. 2gb was about 500rand from what I remember last time so its a bit expensive, but vodacom is best. MTN and Cell C was not great. You can buy less data if you need to.

If you run out of data you can transfer money left from your voice plan to data as well.

Internet is slow and expensive in South Africa when compared to the US. Your cell phone speed will indeed be a lot faster than what you find in hotels or most offices.

During your connection in JNB there is vodacom store right inside the airport (airport is huge look at a map). They should be able to set you up. Once you get to CPT there is also a shop there where you will be able to buy a SIM, but they may not hve the micro sim.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by peterk814
I would go to a vodacom store...
^ Vodacom appeared to be a reasonable option. Many thanks for confirming that and for the useful details.

We had our Internet problems in, for example, Protea Hotels on our last trip to South Africa five years ago and I gather the situation isn't all that much better. At least this time we'll have realistic expectations.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
During your connection in JNB there is vodacom store right inside the airport (airport is huge look at a map). They should be able to set you up. Once you get to CPT there is also a shop there where you will be able to buy a SIM, but they may not hve the micro sim.
If I recall correctly, the Vodacom store in CPT is right next to the Domestic Exit area.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
There is a vodacom store within CPT, if i remember correctly its not an official vodacom store but one of those franchise stores (not that it matters). If not, if you are staying in cape town central or CBD there are tons of vodacom stores. Just make sure your phone is unlocked.

If you have any questions please let me know.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would go to a vodacom store, they sell sim cards for relatively cheap like 20-50 rand depending on if its a normal sim, micro, mini etc.

[...]
During your connection in JNB there is vodacom store right inside the airport (airport is huge look at a map).
The Vodacom store at JNB tried to charge me 109 rand for a SIM card with no credit a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if that's the correct price or not, but given that the Vodacom website sells them for less than 1 rand it seemed a little excessive and I chose not to purchase...
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:04 am

Vodacom sims only £25 or £30 UK on eBay.

I'll use some of the advice here thanks. Can I also ask what are the available top up methods? In stores, on line, at ATM or what?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Vodacom sims only £25 or £30 UK on eBay.

I'll use some of the advice here thanks. Can I also ask what are the available top up methods? In stores, on line, at ATM or what?
You can buy refills at the vodacom store, or at a lot of the local super markets like Woolie (woolworths) pick n pay, etc.

They give you a voucher you dial the number and enter the voucher number. Very simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.