Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Why do you need a cell phone away from home?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do you need a cell phone away from home?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by wco81
For instance, I used it with Google Maps to navigate northern Italy. Didn't have to pack a Garmin. And often, the mobile network provided faster speeds than the hotel Wifi in many cases.
Also in many cases, much cheaper, especially at fancier (or package-tour-heavy) hotels where the internet charges can be absurd.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: most of them
For me personally, I don't use a cellphone when I travel. I am almost always solo so I don't need to coordinate with anyone. Of course I barely use my cellphone at home too. I'm not making restaurant reservations on the fly either. How many times does anyone really do that? But I have only very basic food needs.

I have my ultrabook for email checking, FB, photo transfer and editing... I don't need to be connected to "home" 24/7.

Isn't it possible to access maps with the phone's built-in GPS? As long as you don't need directions. Or heaven forbid you use an actual paper map!

Of course the whole part about needing an unlocked GSM phone is the biggest stumbling block for folks who are on Sprint or Verizon's network in the USA.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Sprint and Verizon have migrated or will migrate their networks to LTE. So a lot of their smart phones support LTE, HSPA as well as legacy CDMA networks.

I don't have an unlocked iPhone 5 either but I have an unlocked Mifi. Earlier this year, I found apps. and mobile sites for making reservations as well as getting discounts at restaurants throughout London.

I didn't really make use of it though, as most of the time, I wasn't going to go out of my way to get to a particular restaurant. Even with the efficient London Underground, it's easier to stop at a restaurant that you're walking by, rather than hop on the train to make way to a particular one.

Maybe foodies approach it differently.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Sprint and Verizon have migrated or will migrate their networks to LTE. So a lot of their smart phones support LTE, HSPA as well as legacy CDMA networks.
Most Sprint LTE phones use a permanently-embedded SIM, which can't be swapped out to use a local SIM overseas. Sprint will be happy to overcharge you for roaming, though!
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
"Why do you need a cellphone away from home?" is the heading of this thread. I think the better question is "Why do you need a cellphone at home?" After all, the very purpose of a cellphone is to communicate when you are neither at home nor at your desk. I know life, and telephone technology, has moved on and that we are all dropping our landlines, but that remains the crux of the matter.
I have not had a land line in close to ten years.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 4:09 am

I couldn't live without Data on my phone while I'm traveling. I use it all the time to check reviews for restuarants and attractions. I am also pretty addicted to facebook twitter so like to post on the run. SIM Cards are always fairly cheap along with the Data and I find it much better than hotel WiFi. So even if at the hotel I prefer to use my phone as a hotspot for the tablet and for friends/families devices if we are out.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Considering I was looking into this for a trip to Bali, but just realized I will likely need it for traveling to Montreal for work. Now to check out my options for Montreal!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:52 am

For me, the reasons I carry a phone abroad are three-fold:

- Emergencies, back home or abroad.
- Navigation in a strange city.
- My crippling addiction to Foursquare.

While the first two are reasonable and understandable, the third is somewhat bizarre. Sadly, my need to "check in" wherever I go is an addiction that has resulted in hundreds of dollars of roaming Data charges.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:20 am

Owner of really cool B&B miles away from anywhere:

"Call us from the train and we'll meet you with the car."

Me

"I don't have a phone."

Him

"Well . . . . "

Web page of really cool hotel recommended by SIL:

"Call xxx for availability"

Me on phone:

"Can you accomodate us . . .

Him

"Yes, you can have our last room. Good thing you called so early today."

Me

"Great, thanks:
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:15 am
Original Poster

This is completely cracking me up!

What's Foursquare?

I'm going to take my phone to Montreal and have upgraded to some global package with data for $25. I'll see how much I actually use it!

For Bali, there is no global package available so it is completely pay minute by minute and byte by byte. I've heard I'll be too busy there to "check in" anyway!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by TheHawk2002
What's Foursquare?
It's a mobile application which allows you to "check-in" to venues around you to earn mayorships and badges (purely for bragging rights).

You can also leave tips about the venue for other users and use it to explore local flavour.

Think of it as Yelp meets Facebook places.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Going to try it!

Originally Posted by ForgotAboutTed
It's a mobile application which allows you to "check-in" to venues around you to earn mayorships and badges (purely for bragging rights).

You can also leave tips about the venue for other users and use it to explore local flavour.

Think of it as Yelp meets Facebook places.
In an attempt to become more tech savvy, I'm going to try this Foursquare in Montreal. I'll let you know!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Oh goody.....
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
YOu can check in with Yelp app too if you're so inclined.

Or post reviews, pictures, etc.

Restaurants are staring to encourage people taking pictures of their dishes because social media has helped bring more business to some of these restaurants.

So if nothing else, the restaurants will work on presentation and probably try to offer better service as each client with a smart phone is like a restaurant critic who can provide instant word of mouth to bring in more business.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some restaurant in the states offer discounts/promotions through Foursquare, for which checking in is how you get the discount/promotion.

I've gotten some 2-for-1 drinks and free appetizers/salads that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.