Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
From Dubai Stu: I saw this article on DSL Reports and am passing it on without recourse. It sounds like a great solution, but I have not done any independent research: https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/R...-75Mbps-126377

From joejones: See this thread -- Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated) in the Japan forum

From msp3: If you're a Sprint customer, data roaming is completely free on SoftBank (Sprint's parent company), for a $5 add-on you get unlimited voice: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...a-sms-in-Japan
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - Japan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by njxbean
what is the best SIM to use while im in Japan for 24hours. Data only. Ideally it supports VOIP(google hangouts) so i can check in with the family. Thanks.
Maybe buying a data roaming package from your local carrier if they have that sort of thing?

Or buy the cheapest prepaid data sim. I've read Umobile sells a 7day sim for 2000Y at Narita (can only get from a Narita vending machine??) that comes with unlimited data but LTE speeds are throttled after 200MB. I bought a 15day sim from them at a Yodobashi store and it worked great in an older, spare Samsung Galaxy.

Alternatively, you can try for wifi hotspots. Apparently there's a free wifi solution for visitors: SoftBank Free Wi-Fi Passport. Not sure how wide of extensive the hotspot coverage is though.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Jay71
Alternatively, you can try for wifi hotspots. Apparently there's a free wifi solution for visitors: SoftBank Free Wi-Fi Passport. Not sure how wide of extensive the hotspot coverage is though.
That one has... issues. I couldn't sign up roaming from my home provider (Sprint). I thought maybe it was treating my Sprint phone as "local" on SoftBank, so I tried again with SIMs from China Unicom, China Mobile HK, PCCW, Wind Canada, Koodo, 3 Italy, T-Mobile Austria, and Vodafone Romania (yes, I was getting a bit desperate towards the end). All of them gave a "the number you dialed is out of service" message when I tried dialing the number that's supposed to give you the passcode (except my Sprint phone gave the message in Japanese, thus why I wondered if it was being treated as "local" on SoftBank). For reference, I tried this pretty much exactly one month ago in Osaka and Tokyo.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Used the u-mobile sim, worked well for my needs - thanks for the tip Jay71!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Used the u-mobile sim, worked well for my needs - thanks for the tip Jay71!
Originally Posted by Jay71
Maybe buying a data roaming package from your local carrier if they have that sort of thing?

Or buy the cheapest prepaid data sim. I've read Umobile sells a 7day sim for 2000Y at Narita (can only get from a Narita vending machine??) that comes with unlimited data but LTE speeds are throttled after 200MB
Just got back from a trip to Japan. Picked up the 7 day u-mobile SIM from the vending machines in terminal 3. Worked great from all of Tokyo and Hokkiado. I don't think I ever hit the 200mb allocation, so not sure how fast the throttled data would be. 2000 yen was about $16 at the time.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:08 am

I am on TMO and when I was in Tokyo for the TAS in Jan 2014, I had the TMO unltd data but at 3g speeds. I was happy with it....if I opted for 4g LTE, it'd be an upcharge...

Overall, no sufferage of signal, maybe except when in was in the subway....

BTW, if you are on TMO and opt not for 4g lte, bring an external battery pack. I did and it helped me aloooot.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week arriving at Nagoya (NGO) the only option was the DoCoMo (NTT) vending machine (no umobile). What a royal PITA to purchase and activate!

- you can only use credit cards. If it's a foreign card, you may enter ANY 4 digits in lieu of a PIN (the machine says "enter your birth year" but how on earth would it know?)
- you need to register it by scanning your passport
- then you need to activate it/download a profile - but you must either use wifi or your foreign SIM card's data to do that!! OMFG!
- costs ¥3726 for a week (100MB/day at 4G, over that unlimited (?) 3G. Kind of expensive for a week.

Once these hurdles are overcame, works well.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Silver
I ordered the Yokoso Sim using my Amazon Prime for my recent trip to Tokyo. Works on the NTT Docomo network. I got the 5 gb sim for $38.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am looking for some advice about using my phone in Japan. There is a lot of information online about the compatibility of various handsets with Japanese sim cards and I am now very confused!

I have an unlocked iPhone 7 model A1778. My understanding is that this model is not compatible with Japanese networks (something about GSM versus CDMA which I don't fully understand...). I want to either buy a sim card in the UK before I go or in Japan. The staff at this agency say that the prepaid sim described will work, but when I asked about using my GSM phone in Japan they had no idea what I was asking... https://www.japantravel-centre.com/j...an-travel-sim/

Do any FTers have any advice?

Thank you
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Accidental Scientist
I am looking for some advice about using my phone in Japan. There is a lot of information online about the compatibility of various handsets with Japanese sim cards and I am now very confused!

I have an unlocked iPhone 7 model A1778. My understanding is that this model is not compatible with Japanese networks (something about GSM versus CDMA which I don't fully understand...). I want to either buy a sim card in the UK before I go or in Japan. The staff at this agency say that the prepaid sim described will work, but when I asked about using my GSM phone in Japan they had no idea what I was asking... https://www.japantravel-centre.com/j...an-travel-sim/

Do any FTers have any advice?

Thank you
Your iPhone model will work just fine with any tourist data SIM, don't worry. Stick with either Umobile or Bmobile depending on your preference for speed vs data limits
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:44 pm

Just an update as I found this thread useful. The U-mobile 7 day sim card is now Y2,500 from vending machine within NRT.

I used it with an iPhone and you need to insert the sim and then get online via wifi, before you can go to a URL they give you in order to download APN settings. Only then will the SIM work. This was a pain as I had left the airport (and free wifi) before trying the SIM.

I understand if you have an android you can enter the APN settings directly.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So umobile went the DoCoMo way? What a PITA, really

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27365641-post51.html
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
So umobile went the DoCoMo way? What a PITA, really

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27365641-post51.html
The only thing alike was having to download a profile. I didn't need to show passport or use a credit card. In fact, I had to break some cash down to get small enough bills to use for the vending machine!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
The only thing alike was having to download a profile!
That's the PITA part, really. Download a profile with no internet connection... Reminds me of the "No keyboard found - press any key to continue" error message
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Just an update as I found this thread useful. The U-mobile 7 day sim card is now Y2,500 from vending machine within NRT.

I used it with an iPhone and you need to insert the sim and then get online via wifi, before you can go to a URL they give you in order to download APN settings. Only then will the SIM work. This was a pain as I had left the airport (and free wifi) before trying the SIM.

I understand if you have an android you can enter the APN settings directly.
Thanks for the info; I'll be flying to Tokyo in 8 weeks (HND) and will be looking for a prepaid SIM for data. I've done some reading and there seem to be so many options. I have read about the "download the APN to your phone" thing and it seemed really backwards to download something in order to use the internet on your phone.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
We were in Japan last year for a week and a half. Used eConnect. Nice thing about them was that they delivered the SIM card to the hotel so it was there when we arrived. No issue with activation or use in Tokyo or Kyoto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.