Good small travel mouse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good small travel mouse?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Location: Washington, DC - usually on my way to ROB, TBS, or MNL (sometimes COO, WDH, MSU, or ULN too)
Programs: United Gold, Delta Platinum
Question Good small travel mouse?

I got a very small USB-connected mouse free at a conference probably 5 years ago. It was about 2.5 - 3 inches long, maybe an inch tall and an inch and a half wide. Basically I just used 3 fingers to guide it around, unlike a regular mouse which would fit into your palm. The wire connection seems to have come loose, so now it stops working once in a while and I have to jiggle the cord to get the laser back on. I am thinking about getting a replacement for this mouse. I have seen lots of options on amazon and CNET, but I wanted to see what folks here like.

I'm leaning toward something like this (at $9, even if I need a new one every year, doesn't seem financially problematic, though not ideal environmentally), or something like this. Any recommendations from here? No such thing as "too small" in my book.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:33 am

the second one is pricey, but wireless is the right idea. You can buy that little usb wireless thing in the same small form factor as a bluetooth hub if you don't have bluetooth built in to your laptop.

But I really don't use a mouse anymore. I use the built-in trackpad. (I lied. I use a microsoft bluetooth mouse on the rare occasion I need the middle button. But that's larger than what you are looking for, isn't it?)

I think I have one of those tiny corded ones you have, it works fine if that's what you want. I used it as a backup/spare.

-David
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:50 am

i think it may be too big for your specs, but i have been using the logitech m305 for a while and like it (plus it's only around $20-$25)

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-M305-.../dp/B002Y6CJJ8

the best part about logitech's wireless mice is that the usb transmitter is TINY, which means i can leave it in all of the time and don't have to remove it when i put the laptop into my backpack
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by squatch
i think it may be too big for your specs, but i have been using the logitech m305 for a while and like it (plus it's only around $20-$25)

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-M305-.../dp/B002Y6CJJ8

the best part about logitech's wireless mice is that the usb transmitter is TINY, which means i can leave it in all of the time and don't have to remove it when i put the laptop into my backpack
To add to this, I keep the M305 in my laptop bag at all times. When at home, I have a larger 500-series wireless mouse. The perk is that both can use the same USB Unifying Receiver*.

* - The Unifying Receiver only comes with larger mice, not the M305.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:03 pm
Suspended

This is a really tiny one that I used to have. It is perfect for small spaces btu a bit pricey. The charge lasts forever though... hope that helps!

http://www.amazon.com/Swiftpoint-SM3...wireless+mouse
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use this one, which is Bluetooth, and so works well with my laptop's built-in Bluetooth. No extra dongle to worry about.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Blue...luetooth+mouse
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Mostly loving the Arc Mouse (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Arc-...rc+touch+mouse).

My only complaint with it is that it doesn't have the back button you use with your thumb. I love that it goes completely flat for traveling - I can easily stick it in a small pocket of my messenger bag, and the USB receiver sit snuggly on the back of the mouse when flat. It uses a surprisingly strong magnet to hold it in place.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
I picked up this usb corded Logitech Notebook Optical Mouse about 5 years ago and it's always paired with my laptop and the netbook. It's compact & yet not too small with the short USB cord wrapped around the bottom for storage. It might be the same one that you got ? Mine is working just fine and is just right for me, simple plug-n-play and no drivers to install for the Sony Viao (which has the touchpad, but I'm not a big fan of pinching & rolling, etc.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

They seemed overpriced but similar ones by LT is around $15 - much better.

I also owned the mini travel mouse (for space saving reasons) but it's a bit awkward to use with my big hands and it's been docked at the home office for light duties with the 2nd. monitor/server.

OP might want to stop in at one of the MicroCenter retail store outside the Beltway to checkout their wide selection of mouses in different price ranges before deciding on what to get next.

At home, I'm using up to 3 sets of full-size wireless keyboard/mouse combo and like the Logitech brand vs. Microsoft or generic/non-OEM's - YMMV as it's a biased preference of mine, holding up well over the years.

If I am going to upgrade or replace my laptop mouse, I'm likely going for the bluetooth ones (that will interface directly with the netbook) over wireless (no extra receiver to deal with) or usb ones so that it don't use up a USB 3.0 or 2.0 slot - but, it's not going to happen for a while as I still got a drawer full of brand new, unopened usb-corded OEM mouses & keyboards , enough for another 20 years ...
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: Washington, DC - usually on my way to ROB, TBS, or MNL (sometimes COO, WDH, MSU, or ULN too)
Programs: United Gold, Delta Platinum
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually use the trackpad for most things (it's a multi-touch), but I don't like the trackpad for rapid scrolling, which is why I prefer a mouse. Really, all I need is the middle scroll button, but I doubt they sell just that

As I'm using an HP ultrabook, I do kind of like the idea of not using up a whole USB port plugging in the mouse, but how well does bluetooth work? Does that mean I'd always have to have batteries (most of the ones i saw), or are there good USB-rechargeable ones? Also, some people worry about the security of bluetooth devices. Presumably, though, nothing really to worry about?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: United
I have a VX nano but still felt it was a bit bulky for travel. During holiday clearance at Container Store I found this Xoopar Pokket for $7.50:

http://www.xoopardesign.com/product/...=5&xooparboy=0

It's very flat and fits into a slim business card pocket, yet has a great scroll gear on the right side I can turn with my middle finger. The construction is sturdy and the buttons have good tactile clicking. Also the cord is removable so you can use the same mini-usb cable you use for mobile charging for the mouse - one less cable to carry on the road.

It's not in many stores, but you can find it on eBay for about $20 shipped.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by QueenEsoterica
As I'm using an HP ultrabook, I do kind of like the idea of not using up a whole USB port plugging in the mouse, but how well does bluetooth work? Does that mean I'd always have to have batteries (most of the ones i saw), or are there good USB-rechargeable ones? Also, some people worry about the security of bluetooth devices. Presumably, though, nothing really to worry about?
BT works great .. been around for a long time now. When you connect a new device, you initiate the pairing sequence usually by pressing a button on the device, and you can accept/reject it on the other end of the link, so you are in full control of the pairing process.

Since it's wireless, the mouse will need/eat batteries, carry a small pack of AAAs (or whatever your device takes) with you. I use rechargeables at home, single use on the road.

Have you searched through and tested all the track pad settings in it's control panel? You can usually adjust scrolling speed, zones etc, depending on how good the drivers are for your notebook's trackpad.

-David
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rybob1
Mostly loving the Arc Mouse (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Arc-...rc+touch+mouse).

My only complaint with it is that it doesn't have the back button you use with your thumb. I love that it goes completely flat for traveling - I can easily stick it in a small pocket of my messenger bag, and the USB receiver sit snuggly on the back of the mouse when flat. It uses a surprisingly strong magnet to hold it in place.
This.

^^^
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Old thread I know, but has anyone used one of these???

https://www.highlifeshop.com/product...wireless-mouse

I am thinking of bagging one when I fly to JFK next month.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:17 am

I have a small business and have lots of laptop. I use the logitech M3XX series wireless mouses. They are workhorses and battery last quite long. I have tried one of those tiny usb wired mouse. Yes it is much smaller and lighter comparing to the logitech, but then you have to carry the laptop anyway.. compare to that.. the mouse size really won't make much of a difference.

Also the ones with the retractable usb cord is really not fun to use. The cord curl up and gets in the way of your mouse. I found myself kept flipping it every 10 sec to move it out of the way. And the ones with a real cord will weight as much as the cordless M3XX mouse.

BTW, I found no difference (other than color) between any of M305, M310, M325, etc mouses... I just buy the ones that are on sales.

EDIT: Darn it, I just realized I replied to necro'ed thread.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:17 pm

I use this dell bluetooth mouse. It twists in the middle when not in use, so it's basically flat in my backpack.
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-...pc-accessories

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.