Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus 4, to buy or not to buy....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

...that is the question.

So, the Nexus 4 is actually available in the UK it seems and I'm about to take the plunge - probably the 16GB model for GBP279.

It's not about to be replaced or superceded anything silly like that, is it?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: Some, not all.
Buy it.

Samsung S IV will be announced soonish, but will probably be 2x the price of the Nexus 4.

Unless you really need the storage I'd go for the 8GB.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:49 pm

I have a Nexus 4 since Christmas and I am completly satisfied by the performance. The battery holds enough charge for a day of more or less heavy usage(games etc.), but it can become really warm , if you play e.g. angry birds for about 30 min.

I would buy it again
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
...that is the question.

So, the Nexus 4 is actually available in the UK it seems and I'm about to take the plunge - probably the 16GB model for GBP279.

It's not about to be replaced or superceded anything silly like that, is it?
A phone will ALWAYS be replaced by something better - question is, how long are you willing to wait, and is it a big deal if the better Nexus comes out within 2-3 months?

N4 is a decent phone - I was not a fan because of the display (Oddly enough, I prefer the blacks on a Samsung Amoled screen), but other than that, it is a rock solid device.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:28 pm

Go for it. My wife has the 16GB and loves it. No LTE isn't a big deal if you have HPSA+. You know you will get the latest OS updates from Google.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:50 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

I would recommend 16GB. Those I know who have Nexus are surprised how quickly it fills up.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:59 am

Most of us are interested in these phones for multinational use and LTE roaming has not arrived. There are multiple incompatible LTE bands which no one had managed to bundle into one phone and carriers are only going to start announcing roaming agreements later this year.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:22 am

Personally I would get it. It's only 4 months old so either you wait till its next generation (probably Nov 13') or you buy the Galaxy S4 (coming soon) which will be freaking awesome but probably twice the price for the unlocked version compared to the N4. If price doesn't matter to you, then i'd wait for the Galaxy S4.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
+1 here. Personally, I would go for 16GB model - with HPSA+ as it's basically unlocked to all carriers. Easily rooted & install Apps regardless of your whereabouts, and there are excellent stock Roms with tweaks over at XDA-Developers, optimized for battery life or OC/UV and both, etc. It's really a bargain, never mind the LTE matrix that will take years toward a universal standard, if ever but with a good WiFi connection that most of us have access to, it's really not an issue.

My N7 has been running the latest OTA JB 4.2.2 - stock kernel, super smooth and zero bloatware, unlike devices with Roms blessed by VZW or AT&T or PCCW or Vodafone, etc. N4 users got theirs newest OTA days ahead of us - my HTC's are still waiting for ICS upgrades (if ever) but running on GB otherwise.

Chances are good that you can trade/sell the N4 in a few months if/when the next generation of Nexus hit the retail channel, as they say, the Nexus are really holding up great on its resale values - why wait, hoop on the wagon.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:27 am

At the very least I'd wait for the S IV announcement on 3/14.

A week's wait won't make much if a different and from the look of things it looks like a very nice phone.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

So, I was all set to buy the N4 this evening and then it turns out Google Play (UK) won't accept Amex...

...or am I doing something wrong?

I have a spend target to hit on a new Amex card and the N4 was going to get me just a little bit closer to it.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: *G
I dislike that it has no expandable memory. My 16gb filled up fast. I dislike that it has non removable batteries....as the battery performance , especially idling, is quite poor. I dislike that it uses glass screens as I just dropped it from 30cm height and it shattered.

I also dislike how difficult it was (shortages) and how difficult it is to find one ...limited markets, limited payment options....

That said I just ordered another replacement as I really really hate the carrier/vendor-customized software. Otherwise the HTC One or the Sony Xperia Z would be much more attractive

I thought the galaxy nexus was a better phone
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:05 pm

I love my Nexus 4. The battery life is decent. I use a bumper case and I've yet to damage it. I had the galaxy nexus before this and like my Nexus 4 better. I do miss the 32gb of storage. The external speaker and the camera is also much better.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by deniah
I thought the galaxy nexus was a better phone
Why (other than removable battery)?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by richarddd
Why (other than removable battery)?
Available in 32gb iteration
Better battery performance (in addition to being swappable)
More rugged - survived many more drops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.