Wiki Posts
Search

Time and expense tracking tool

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Time and expense tracking tool

I am looking for a time and expense tracking tool recommendation (they could be separate tools). Preferably something iOS based with a cloud component, but i'll settle for either of those.

I've tried a number of tools and can not find the right one. I dont need a timer tool (i always forget to start and stop), and it doesnt need to interface with anything.

My employer has their PITA time and expense tool, so i'll have to double enter into it. but i need a way to keep track of both time and expense during time cycles and sometimes between them.

Ideally, the tool would allow for:
- entry of time/ expense without a complex UI (i use .25 hour increments and dont care about the time of day, just total hours worked in the day).
- mark time and expenses by project
- mark them as billed or submitted (often im carrying time or expense between cycles due to not having billing codes setup so i need to be able to track if i've entered something or not by entry).

That's all it needs to do. Currently i use excel, but often find that it's the last thing i want to update at the end of the day.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by jalm1
I am looking for a time and expense tracking tool recommendation (they could be separate tools). Preferably something iOS based with a cloud component, but i'll settle for either of those.

I've tried a number of tools and can not find the right one. I dont need a timer tool (i always forget to start and stop), and it doesnt need to interface with anything.

My employer has their PITA time and expense tool, so i'll have to double enter into it. but i need a way to keep track of both time and expense during time cycles and sometimes between them.

Ideally, the tool would allow for:
- entry of time/ expense without a complex UI (i use .25 hour increments and dont care about the time of day, just total hours worked in the day).
- mark time and expenses by project
- mark them as billed or submitted (often im carrying time or expense between cycles due to not having billing codes setup so i need to be able to track if i've entered something or not by entry).

That's all it needs to do. Currently i use excel, but often find that it's the last thing i want to update at the end of the day.

I do some consulting and use Time Master for counting billable hours. It has some in app purchases which cost extra obviously but allow me to sync between my iPhone and iPad and to generate invoices I can send to clients. The clients seem happy with the details the invoice can carry. It can back up to Dropbox which I like. It has an expense tracking capability but I haven't used that part of it. For expenses I use BizXpensTrkr.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check out TimeTracker by CreativeWorx. Their solution is pretty unique: you install a desktop app and plugin for Creative Suite and Office. TimeTracker then silently keeps track of what you've been working on. You can create projects and tag documents to them so that any time you open a given document, TimeTracker automatically assigns time on it to the appropriate project. Or, you can just look at a generic report showing how much time you spent on each document, and match to clients/projects yourself. Soon you'll be able to integrate time spent on phone calls, writing emails, etc.

Another option is Harvest, but you said you didn't want a timer app. Still, it's quite a nice, polished product.

(I'm not totally unbiased with TimeTracker - I did a short consulting gig with them. A solid team and a really excellent product and vision.)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Check out TimeTracker by CreativeWorx. Their solution is pretty unique: you install a desktop app and plugin for Creative Suite and Office. TimeTracker then silently keeps track of what you've been working on. You can create projects and tag documents to them so that any time you open a given document, TimeTracker automatically assigns time on it to the appropriate project. Or, you can just look at a generic report showing how much time you spent on each document, and match to clients/projects yourself. Soon you'll be able to integrate time spent on phone calls, writing emails, etc.

Another option is Harvest, but you said you didn't want a timer app. Still, it's quite a nice, polished product.

(I'm not totally unbiased with TimeTracker - I did a short consulting gig with them. A solid team and a really excellent product and vision.)
Interesting, I may give that me a look.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Originally Posted by gfunkdave

Thats a really interesting option. much like rescue time but project based rather than application. Although it appears that many of the features are "comming soon"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.