Wiki Posts
Search

Cigarette-style plug on board

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Cigarette-style plug on board

So this may very well win dumb question of the year, but I have never flown in a plane with the cigarette style power ports before.

My understanding is that the onboard ones are 15v whereas a normal car cigarette outlet is 12v.

If my car phone charger is marker 12-20v, will it work in the plane?

(Hanging my head in shame...)

Thanks for indulging me.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:41 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Car outlets are a 'nominal' 12 volts. Typically it is 13.5 to 14. The only time it would be just 12 volts if is your car's battery is low.

15 volts will work just fine with your cig lighter plug.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Great news! I was really not wanting to buy a new adapter for what is likely a dying type of on-board power port, especially since I usually fly airlines that have the regular type of power outlets. Using what I already have is perfect since this will likely be a one-time thing for us. Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Keep in mind that the EmPower adapter used on many planes is not the same as the Cigarette lighter used in cars. They look similar, but you will need to spend $10 or $15 on an adapter if your plane used EmPower and you device uses a car lighter plug.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

Is this the adapter?
http://www.amazon.com/Airplane-Charging-Converter-Adapter-AP-C1/dp/B000M85JHY/ref=pd_cp_e_3

I don't mind spending $10-$15, but I don't want to spend more than that for a one time thing. I'd also rather not bring unnecessary stuff with me (I.e., the car charger) if it's not actually going to work.

Last edited by vicarious_MR'er; Oct 8, 2012 at 6:25 am
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I've used my car adaptor on planes for years. No problem at all.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
It looks correct. Not too many details there.

-David
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:03 am

Because the voltages are nearly the same, a lot of auto adapters are actually auto/air adapters already. Usually the EmPower plug goes into the cigarette plug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.