Search

Strong passwords

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Strong passwords

http://www.emptyage.com/post/2867987...as-hacked-hard

yikes! i just went through and reset all my passwords after reading this.

So maybe you saw my Twitter going nuts tonight. Or you saw Gizmodo’s Twitter account blow up. Or you saw this in AllThingsD. Or this in the DailyDot. Although embarrassing, Twitter was the least of it. In short, someone gained entry to my iCloud account, used it to remote wipe all of my devices, and get entry into other accounts too.

Here’s what happened:

At 4:50 PM, someone got into my iCloud account, reset the password and sent the confirmation message about the reset to the trash. My password was a 7 digit alphanumeric that I didn’t use elsewhere. When I set it up, years and years ago, that seemed pretty secure at the time. But it’s not. Especially given that I’ve been using it for, well, years and years. My guess is they used brute force to get the password (see update) and then reset it to do the damage to my devices.

The backup email address on my Gmail account is that same .mac email address. At 4:52 PM, they sent a Gmail password recovery email to the .mac account. Two minutes later, an email arrived notifying me that my Google Account password had changed.

At 5:00 PM, they remote wiped my iPhone

At 5:01 PM, they remote wiped my iPad

At 5:05, they remote wiped my MacBook Air.

A few minutes after that, they took over my Twitter. Because, a long time ago, I had linked my Twitter to Gizmodo’s they were then able to gain entry to that as well.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 5:06 pm

Who uses only 7 character passwords? There's the mistake.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not using Google 2-factor authentication = stupid.

Apple not offering it as an option at all = really stupid.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 6:10 pm

I'm glad the article was updated to indicate that the password was gained by other means.

Yes brute forcing a password is certainly possible, and it's made a lot easier when short passwords, dictionary and non-complex passwords are used. However, the majority of online sites prevent such attacks these days by locking the account after incorrect logins.

My best guess is that the password was stolen through other means, eg. using a trojanised computer, falling for a phishing attack ... Or, the challenge questions for the Apple account not being secure.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC

^^

And make a small investment: 1Password
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
^^

And make a small investment: 1Password
is 1password better than lastpass?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by njxbean
is 1password better than lastpass?
maybe...
Lastpass is free*

1password is $50

Both appear to support most everything out there...
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Report from Gizmodo now is that the "hacker" socially engineered his way into the account:

http://gizmodo.com/5931931/hackers-g...sword-required

So, no 2-factor AND tech reps who'll let someone sweet talk their way into an account that can wipe all your devices. Niiiiiice
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I wish there was more uniformity in character limits, both in number and types of characters. Since Windows 2000, a password on a Windows computer can be as many as 127 characters, including spaces, but many banking and credit card sites allow no more than 12-14 characters. Some sites also do not allow the use of some special characters.

I like being able to create a simply remembered sentence (one of my passwords used to be "I want to play golf!") that is more difficult to guess than a single word or character combination. I also like that certain websites require you to pick a phrase and picture that will be displayed sometime during the logon process--it certainly seems a good additional defense to phishing scams.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
ZD net says that he actually discussed with the hacker how he got in.

Wonder then if he found our first from the Hacker or first from Apple?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I also like that certain websites require you to pick a phrase and picture that will be displayed sometime during the logon process--it certainly seems a good additional defense to phishing scams.
The challenge phrase/picture seems like such a simple addition to the login process (as compared to Google's send-a-text method, which is certainly more secure but probably more costly to implement) that I can't see why more sites don't have it.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Flahusky
maybe...
Lastpass is free*

1password is $50

Both appear to support most everything out there...
Lastpass is free. Lastpass Premium [similar to 1Password] is not free.....and not sure if there are lastpass apps for iPhone and iPad?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Lastpass is free. Lastpass Premium [similar to 1Password] is not free.....and not sure if there are lastpass apps for iPhone and iPad?
Lastpass does have an ipad browser app.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The LastPass Premium is IIRC $10/year and gives you access to the full functionality of the mobile apps, which are available for Android and iOS.

Originally Posted by ScottC

Agreed 1000%.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The LastPass Premium is IIRC $10/year and gives you access to the full functionality of the mobile apps, which are available for Android and iOS.
Sorry but it's $12/yr: https://lastpass.com/features_joinpremium.php

1Password [which is more prevalent for Mac users] is a one time purchase [$39.99]. I like 1Password because it stays on your computer and not loaded in a cloud [although you have option to upload to your dropbox]. I back up and keep multiple copies just in case. And sync with my two devices regularly.

Here's a comparison of the two apps:

1Password wins
http://www.40tech.com/2011/05/16/las...s-more-secure/
http://www.techerator.com/2011/03/wh...for-1password/

Lastpass wins
http://fusiongrokker.com/post/my-exp...rd-to-lastpass

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with either, YMMV!

Last edited by dtsm; Aug 6, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.