Wiki Posts
Search

My tech list - too much? too little?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi All:

This is my first post here, but I’ve been reading the forums for quite some time. Like many of you, I have to travel for business and want my own communication off my company’s phone/computer,etc.

I would like some opinions of the proposed setup I want to put together and let me know if it’s overkill or not enough. I’m not very tech savvy, so any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Mainly, I’m looking to be able to use data on my personal phone when traveling to China. Being able to use GPS and translation apps are important.

Anyway, here’s what I was thinking:

Personal phone: I was between getting an unlocked Blu Dash cell phone or a Samsung Galaxy Y Duo (I already bought a PCCW Hong Kong sim card before I left and it does say it will do data when I’m in the mainland). I’m leaning more towards the Samsung. I’m thinking of getting a simple Tmobile card of the US side. I like the idea of a duo sim, because I can give the company driver a local number to call me directly. Any other suggestions for a sub $200 phone is appreciated. I want something decent because I go to China 4xs a year, but the phone's use will only be during that time.

Computer: simple ACER netbook – love this little thing! I got a VPN from Strong VPN and it worked very well on my last trip. Unfortunately, the hotel network was so slow I could not get HBO to go to run on it even though it was set up correctly.

Internet: I can try and use the hotel’s wifi, but I was thinking of finding a way to unlock my old Sprint wifi and maybe slip in a local China sim card in there. I looked into Boingo and I didn't see enough hotspots in my area.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, UA 1K 2MM, CZ Gld, VS Gld, SPG Lifetime Plt, IC PltAm, Hilton Dmd, Shangrila Diamond

It depends a lot on the Chinese network you use. China mobile is gsm and will work with most phones. China telecom is CDMA 2000. China Unicom is different too. Decide first on the carrier. It is also very cheap to buy basic phones in china (fancy phones are expensive though)
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

This what I was thinking. I will use my PCCW HK sim in the phone when I initially go over. I will arrive late and we immediately go to the mainland. It would be about a week before I can have a Chinese co-worker help me get a local sim.

I saw the China Mobile 2 in 1 (HK + Mainland) before I left last time, it seemed like a good deal. I just need to be able to easily reload online to maintain the number.

China Mobile seems to be the one I'm leaning toward .The PCCW version seems to me more user friendly to deal with though. One concern is paying too much just to maintain the service for the months I won't be over there (my next time over will be in January).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.