Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the new Huawei e5331 MiFi

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrcamp
It should work on tmobile or AT&T but not on 3G. Did you enter tmobile's APN settings and did you sign up for a data plan?
I did enter the APN settings, but I did not sign up for a contract.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:06 pm

Is this a data sim or the regular TMobile payg sim? The latter do not come with data by default. You have to sign up for a plan.

Originally Posted by MareLuce
I did enter the APN settings, but I did not sign up for a contract.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:31 am
Original Poster

mrcamp, it was a T-Mobile pay as you go SIM, but I was very clear on what was needed - I even brought the Huawei MiFi to the store. (I do believe you vs the person in the store though. If that is the case, the test result makes sense)

So the challenge still is: How can I test my Huawei MiFi before I leave.

I probably should just try to order the same type of SIM I will use on the trip (the World one) from iPhoneTrip.com and get it activated for just a day to test my device

--------- Email response from a seller of MiFi devices. I asked "Which carriers would be compatible with the Huawei e5331"

We don't think HUAWEI E5331 is a good option for you to use in USA because the carrier in USA runs on 3G 850/1900 while E5331 works under 3G 900/2100mhz.

Since then, we would like to recommend Sierra 754S LTE Hotspot, it could work well in 3G and 4G network in USA.
-----------------

This contradicts what Spinjockey quoted above:
HSPA+/UMTS 2100MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Odd - On Huawei's website, I can't find the official frequencies listed at all.
http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwid...eId=3619&tab=0
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:46 am

Yes, it's not compatible with the 3G bands used in the US. It should still work on EDGE though. To test it with tmobile, add the $2/day plan (remember to remove at the end of the day or when done testing). As long as the APN has been set, you should be able to test it.

So the challenge still is: How can I test my Huawei MiFi before I leave
-----------------

This contradicts what Spinjockey quoted above:
HSPA+/UMTS 2100MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Odd - On Huawei's website, I can't find the official frequencies listed at all.
http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwid...eId=3619&tab=0
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:05 am

Mine worked flawlessly in Greece (Cosmote and Vodafone) and the UK (t mobile). I liked this gadget, but actually ended up using my Galaxy Nexus' built in Wifi hotspot functionality a lot of the time.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Anyone seen or used the E5151 which has a hotspot but also an ethernet jack? I'd be curious as it would allow me to consolidate two pieces (mifi + small wifi hotspot) I carry today.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:03 am
Original Poster

It works!

OK I finally know that my Huawei works and it's definitely unlocked.

Purchased a data-only SIM from

http://www.telestial.com/view_produc...MSIM-DATA#none

It does seem to be using Edge as mrcamp noted, which is so slow it makes my teeth hurt...

I hope with an iPhoneTrip SIM it's a lot faster in Europe and the UK.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I use it while in the US on AT&T, though only 2G will register due to the bands. Using a prepaid iPad SIM.

Whenever in Asia it is always on 3G (or better?) using a local country SIM.

Purchased at HKG airport (have got several now for colleagues).
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dorian
...Purchased at HKG airport ....
Do you know WHERE at HKG airport you bought this MiFi device? Land-side or air-side? Also, when was the last time you bought one and roughly how much did you pay for it? Did it come with an English manual and a 110-220V power adapter / battery charger?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
How's battery life on these things? It can't be too good because they don't advertise it. I'm getting sick of my USB dongle sucking my laptop battery, was thinking this might be nice. But if I'm forever trying to keep it charged that isn't a good use of my time either....
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by FedUp2
Do you know WHERE at HKG airport you bought this MiFi device? Land-side or air-side? Also, when was the last time you bought one and roughly how much did you pay for it? Did it come with an English manual and a 110-220V power adapter / battery charger?
I bought them all land side at the only small electronics store, right near 7/11.

I think they were usually $60-70.

It comes with a 110/220 v adaptor but I just charge it off my computer USB.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
How's battery life on these things? It can't be too good because they don't advertise it. I'm getting sick of my USB dongle sucking my laptop battery, was thinking this might be nice. But if I'm forever trying to keep it charged that isn't a good use of my time either....
Battery life on my older one (8 months) is off the rails crazy. Can roam around a city for 10+ hours easily.

The new one is a few hours shorter, I believe because it does HSPA or something.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Has anyone been able to find a spare battery for this MiFi device?

I looked for ~ 1 hour over the weekend and could not find one.

On next month's vacation trip I'll be out and about maybe 12-16 hrs/day. I have one of those power pack chargers, but would really prefer a spare battery.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:09 pm

I saw this review:

http://www.theflightdeal.com/2013/02...aming-charges/

Does anyone have any experiencing using this in Mexico?
Old May 6, 2014, 10:21 am

huawei E5331

OK I finally know that my Huawei works and it's definitely unlocked.

Purchased a data-only SIM from

http://www.telestial.com/view_produc...MSIM-DATA#none

It does seem to be using Edge as mrcamp noted, which is so slow it makes my teeth hurt...

I hope with an iPhoneTrip SIM it's a lot faster in Europe and the UK.
I know this is an old post I am reading hoping the threat still works, I recently purchased the Huawei after a try with T-Mobile, could not connect, I did have At&t set the APN and bought a 1 gig sim card, now it does work but as you stated so slow, I do plan on using it in Germany, can anyone tell me if it is better with speed there, also do I have to do anything to change the APN (and how)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.