Alternative for Eudora email Client

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)

I've used Eudora for more than 10 years and feel the need to look at other email clients...it wasn't easy to install it on Window 7 64-bit....I've dabbled with Outlook (has way too much extra stuff)...Thunderbird (better than Outlook but still clunky)...
Things I like about E:
- folders are stored as separate files on disk...easy to move, rename, backup, delete, etc
- fast (deleting an email in Outlook takes several seconds..online forms seem to indicate this is a universal problem)
- easy to work offline (i.e. a plane)
Anyway...looking for suggestions for other email clients
Tks
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:30 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Have used Pegasus Mail for Windows for almost twenty years. VERY good client with lots of fine-grained control options if/when you need, but not in a way that is obtrusive.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I use gmail as my "client" - have done for 3 years plus and wouldn't move back. they can read my mails if they want - it's the price I pay for "free" mail.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume you've tried Penelope: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_Releases ?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Where is your mail coming from? Generic like Hotmail or Yahoo, Gmail, or a server at your ISP?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
Do want to use gmail as my client....doesn't work on aircraft that don't have wifi.
Have not looked @ Penelope..but had heard long ago that Eudora had been donated to mozilla...will check it
Our corporate email comes from a hosted gmail service (i.e. it's our domain name but gmail handles the plumbing)
I think I used Pegasus about 20 years ago also when it was provided as an email client by my first ISP...had forgotten about that...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by CVO 1K 2 Million
Do want to use gmail as my client....doesn't work on aircraft that don't have wifi
Gmail Offline beta is a Gmail app built to support offline access, allowing mail to be read, responded to, searched and archived without network access. After first start-up, Gmail Offline will automatically synchronize messages and queued actions anytime Chrome is running and an Internet connection is available. More than just an offline app, the streamlined user interface, based off Gmail’s popular tablet interface, provides extremely fast response time with a pure, email focused experience.

To start Offline Gmail after installing, open a new tab in Chrome; In the new tab pane you will see a Gmail Offline Icon. Click on the icon, and Offline Gmail will load.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver (whoopie, why am I bothering, again?)
Although what I like about gmail is that the mail is stored on Google's servers and I can read it anywhere, I use Thunderbird more because I have 5 email accounts set up on my mail provider - one for family, one for bills, one for business, one for catalogs and other junk and one for website registrations - and Thunderbird handles them all in one window, local on my machine. Kinda. When I am traveling, I forward any email I think I will need to my gmail acct for access while not at home. Cumbersome, but it works. Alternatively, I can set up email forwarding on my ISP's server or read mail as webmail, but I really hate Centurylink's webmail client, it's extremely clunky.

I switched away from Eudora back when it went to Qualcomm and really didn;t care for Thunderbird as much, but I've gotten used to it over the last 5 years or so.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by WildPlumYonder
Although what I like about gmail is that the mail is stored on Google's servers and I can read it anywhere, I use Thunderbird more because I have 5 email accounts set up on my mail provider - one for family, one for bills, one for business, one for catalogs and other junk and one for website registrations - and Thunderbird handles them all in one window, local on my machine. Kinda. When I am traveling, I forward any email I think I will need to my gmail acct for access while not at home. Cumbersome, but it works. Alternatively, I can set up email forwarding on my ISP's server or read mail as webmail, but I really hate Centurylink's webmail client, it's extremely clunky.

I switched away from Eudora back when it went to Qualcomm and really didn;t care for Thunderbird as much, but I've gotten used to it over the last 5 years or so.
I'm starting to sound like a Gmail Fanboi, but I roll all my mail accounts into Gmail. You can send from Gmail via other SMTP servers. Plenty of filtering so you can sort mail from various accounts as it arrives.

And - access from any machine anywhere. Though, I do have a 2nd gmail account which I forward all my mail to for reading at "unknown" PCs (Lounges, Hotels). Only for use in emergency and I change the password at a safe machine after use.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver (whoopie, why am I bothering, again?)
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I'm starting to sound like a Gmail Fanboi, but I roll all my mail accounts into Gmail. You can send from Gmail via other SMTP servers. Plenty of filtering so you can sort mail from various accounts as it arrives.
Last time I tried to consolidate my email all onto gmail, my email kept getting marked as spam because of the difference between the originating and sending servers - I'd get email on [email protected], it would be forwarded to my gmail account where I'd read it, and then when I would try to reply using the centurylink acct and the spam filter of my email recipient would mark my email as spam.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by WildPlumYonder
Last time I tried to consolidate my email all onto gmail, my email kept getting marked as spam because of the difference between the originating and sending servers - I'd get email on [email protected], it would be forwarded to my gmail account where I'd read it, and then when I would try to reply using the centurylink acct and the spam filter of my email recipient would mark my email as spam.
You set gmail up to read from your centurylink account directly from the POP or IMAP server. You can also set the SMTP server to centurylink and it is invisible to the normal recipient that the mail ever went through the hands of google.

It's up to you if you leave the centurylink copy on their server, or delete it knowing that google has a copy.

You only need to forward if you keep a second gmail account for "unsafe" mail reading, and then you forward from your mail gmail account. (See above)
Old Apr 22, 2012, 8:52 pm

thunderbird meets all your requirements. Not sure what the issue you have with it is.

Anyway, if you use imap, there's no need to backup the mail folders since everything is stored on the server, and yes, you can still do offline email. If you're not using imap on the server, you really have to ask yourself "why". But either way, you can still control where t-bird stores your profile and email folders and back them up if you wish. (though you don't need to since everything is on the server.)

in t-bird, you go into synchronization and storage under 'view settings for this account', click advanced, and you get a pop-up where you can select which accounts and mail folders/etc are kept in sync on your local computer, for searching and also for offline use.

Anyway, good luck finding one that meets your requirements.

-David
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:37 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by CVO 1K 2 Million
Thunderbird (better than Outlook but still clunky)...
Curious about the lack of love for TB. I have it on a 64 bit machine and clunky is just about the opposite of what it is

Also infinitely tweakable with add-ons - if you use Gmail it works really well in IMAP mode - make sure you enable IMAP in your Gmail settings. Sync your Google contacts with Zindus, sync your Google calendar with Provider for Google Calendar, use Smart Template for different reply/forward and signatures...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Eudora? Geez, that's what I used as a freshman in college. Fall 1997.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Eudora works fine with Win7.
You can get any help you might need here:
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.