Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPad not charging

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

iPad not charging

Does anyone know what the fix is for an iPad that seems to have stopped charging (or the cause for that matter)? A google search was little help nor was the Apple site. Yesterday, the iPad was still charging off a USB connection but today neither that or the wall plug charger works.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by arf04
Yesterday, the iPad was still charging off a USB connection but today neither that or the wall plug charger works.
Are you using the little block charger that came with the iPad? Each Apple device draws a different amperage:
  • iPods: 500mA
  • iPhones: 1A
  • iPads: 2.1A

If you don't use an iPad charger, or plug it into most laptop USB ports, it won't charge, or will charge slowly.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Get one of these

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-cha...ab-white-72928

Makes any USB charger work with ipad.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, boberonicus (nice name, btw). It's actually my wife's iPad. We've got a pile of chargers and cables, iPad, iPod, iPhone, and third party, so I've been checking to see if they work with my iPad, which they do, but they don't with hers all of a sudden. I did dig out the actual iPad plug/charger to make sure that it wasn't one of the others that was causing the problem, but really nothing seems to work.

Actually, as I write this, I have it plugged into a desktop and it is charging, though it states "not charging". That's good, but of course kind of impractical. We might have to call Apple support on this, but obviously if there is some well known--or not so well known--fix I'll take it!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by arf04
Actually, as I write this, I have it plugged into a desktop and it is charging, though it states "not charging". That's good, but of course kind of impractical. We might have to call Apple support on this, but obviously if there is some well known--or not so well known--fix I'll take it!
the usb port on your computer can only source 500ma which is not enough to charge the ipad and run it at the same time, so when you wake it, you will get that message. if you leave it sleeping, it will charge, but very slowly.

the standard ipad charger is 2 amps, but even a 1 amp usb adapter will be enough to charge & run it at the same time and avoid that message. note that not all usb adapters are compliant with the usb power spec and may not work.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdxer
the usb port on your computer can only source 500ma which is not enough to charge the ipad and run it at the same time, so when you wake it, you will get that message. if you leave it sleeping, it will charge, but very slowly.

the standard ipad charger is 2 amps, but even a 1 amp usb adapter will be enough to charge & run it at the same time and avoid that message. note that not all usb adapters are compliant with the usb power spec and may not work.
Thanks for the info. I usually charge with the wall charger so never noticed the USB port status. Hopefully, we'll be able to sort through the wall charging issue.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've found that anything but the big iPad2 plug will display "not charging", even though it really is. It is just charging slowly.

From a USB port, active use will use up charge about as fast as it gains. But close the cover and it will fully charge in 8-10 hours. An iPhone plug-in charger will show "not charging" but will charge in 5-6 hours. The actual iPad2 plug-in (only) will indicate that it is charging, and will fully charge in 2-3 hours.

Try leaving it "not charging" overnight to verify that it's truly not charging.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

A quick update: we charged the iPad overnight off the USB port. That worked ok. We then tried overnight with the wall charger. That did nothing. My wife then called Apple and spent a considerable time working through various diagnostics. The conclusion was that there is a hardware problem so Apple is sending a new one. Thanks for all replies.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:15 pm

For the past week, I have been having charging problems with my original iPad 1. I know that sometimes it says "not charging" but it really is. But my iPad is definitely not charging. I got new cables thinking it was that but it wasn't. I've charged it the same way for the past two years with nary a problem. I'm starting to think the internal battery is shot or it has a hardware problem. It has gotten a lot of use. Sometimes it will start to charge again if I reboot it but, after a few minutes, it stops.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

I've edited my post to add that I think I've figured out what the problem is. The power strip is faulty. I should have thought of that possibility from the get-go.

Bobette

Last edited by b1513; Jul 22, 2012 at 5:26 pm Reason: Added last paragraph
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by b1513
I've edited my post to add that I think I've figured out what the problem is. The power strip is faulty. I should have thought of that possibility from the get-go.

Bobette
Troubleshooting 101 - Is it plugged in? Sounds like you found it.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. I debated whether to add the edit.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by b1513
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. I debated whether to add the edit.
A lot of people solicit advice but not so many explain how their problem was resolved. So hats off to you.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boberonicus
A lot of people solicit advice but not so many explain how their problem was resolved. So hats off to you.
+1
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by planemechanic
TS 102... try it on a different devie (if possible). I would have plugged another Apple device in, to see if that was charging.

Yet, yets... 101 is, check to see if it's plugged in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.