Which UK Sim for Voice and Data

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which UK Sim for Voice and Data

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I thought the user said he was using an "unlocked iPhone." There isn't a Three Skype client for the iPhone. Their Skype client is actually a customized version of iSkoot that dials the call into a special dialup. It works like the Google Voicer Dialer does in the States. I have Symbian 3 Nokia E66 and was able to download the Skype client into my phone and it was great, but it required some work. You can also get a Skype virtual number working on the phones, but there is a trick which I will tell people on PMs.
Originally Posted by flyer0409
I will be in London for 5 days in Feb. I have an unlocked Nokia E 71 (European version) which I want to use for local calls in the UK, calls from the UK to the States and to check e-mail. Any suggestions as to which SIM to go with would be appreciated.
Well I read it as Nokia E71 for which I thought there was a Three Skype client that works on it.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:58 pm

I picked that up after the fact. I confused two threads. My roaming phone is a Nokia E66 which is essentially an E71 without the query keyboard. My US phone was the NA version of the E71 which obviously won't work with Three.

It took me about twenty minutes to find, download, and configure the Skype for Three App.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Did you need a UK address or credit card to get it?

I've had a pay-as-you-go T-mobile UK SIM for years and have been pretty happy with it.
At least in my case, both a UK address and bank account are required; I used a willing friend's address, and getting a bank account isn't terribly complicated. I had to put down a £100 deposit to get international roaming enabled, but this was returned as a credit to my statement after 6 months.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I picked that up after the fact. I confused two threads. My roaming phone is a Nokia E66 which is essentially an E71 without the query keyboard. My US phone was the NA version of the E71 which obviously won't work with Three.

It took me about twenty minutes to find, download, and configure the Skype for Three App.
Sorry If I came across as a bit harsh, I've certainly mixed threads up when posting. I have had some experience talking to Three about their iSkoot Skype, they were perfectly pleasant for some phones but said that it wasn't possible (for free at any rate) on an iPhone on their network. Also had issues with one of their phones giving me grief on the Skype side but generally works well enough especially as you don't need to have credit on the phone.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
For future reference, you might want to look into giffgaff. They have free sim cards and very aggressive prepaid plans. I get the impression they are still kind of new and wanting to build up a customer base.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether you can pick up a sim card in person at a local shop. They mail you one for free, but you need an address to mail to. I had mine mailed to a friend's house, but you might be able to mail one to your name at a hotel's address....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.