Jawbone Jambox

Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Jawbone Jambox

I did a search, but didn't see a thread for the jambox. If I somehow missed it, or this should go in another forum (Omni?), please move/merge.

Does anyone have, seen, or used one of these?

http://jawbone.com/speakers/jambox/overview

I'm looking for a present for my partner, who is nearly impossible to shop for. He has an iPhone, iPad, Kindle Fire, and multiple computers around the house (including a Boxee and a media center), so I'm sure he'd be able to get this to work with something. He works from home exclusively (cleaned out his office 2 years ago), so may be able to also use it for the conf calling ability.

It gets pretty good (avg 4*) reviews on Amazon. Just wondering if the $199 price tag is worth it.

We do travel a bit, and I'm assuming this would easily fit in a backpack or suitcase... We'll usually use our Slingbox to watch TV from home, when we're in a hotel room and I'd assume this would give better sound than a typical laptop?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:24 am

The sound is decent for it's size, IMHO, but not worth the list price.

David Pogue reviewed a number of small speakers a few months ago in the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/24/te...pagewanted=all

I had the Creative D100 before my wife scooped it up for her office and it worked well, but was not as portable as the Jambox.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:23 pm

I have one and find it to do the job.

Used the jambox at work as a speaker for a video clip that was presented on a laptop.

Also used it outdoors and the sound was clear.

The Jawbox feels solid but a bit pricey.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:32 pm

I have one and I have been very happy with it. I continue to be impressed by the sound in terms of quality and overall output given its rather diminutive size. I have used it with a variety of devices in a myriad of scenarios and have not been disappointed yet.

I agree it is perhaps a tad pricey, but I would buy another.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My personal opinion? Get the FoxL version instead. Foxl/Soundmatters developed the Jambox for Jawbone, and the Foxl has better audio quality. It does lack a few of the features like the ability to load voices onto it, but other than that, it is a much better product.

If budget is an issue, get the Monster ClarityHD speaker - that is currently my speaker of choice over the others.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: OnePass, SPG
I have one specifically because I carry it around the house. I'll be listening to a podcast doing work, then carry it into the kitchen to make lunch, then carry it outside to relax. I am thinking about using it as my primary computer speaker as well (especially in light of the MacBook Air's crap under-keyboard speakers).

The sound quality is fine for a pair of small speakers, though they do vibrate a bit. Like ScottC said, I think the Soundmatters speakers are of better quality, but I liked the form factor (big rubber rectangle) of the Jambox.

I've never used it as a speakerphone, so I can't comment on that aspect.

I got mine for $150 on Amazon.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:02 am

Programs: Accor Plus
I have a Jambox and it works amazing with iPhone, iPad but a bit of workaround to be done with Macbook Air.
Sound is amazing, I am very happy with this purchase
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the feedback! I ordered it yesterday, says due for delivery today (out for delivery on the order status).

I'll report back what he thinks of it after Christmas. If he doesn't like it, I've never had a problem with an Amazon return.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta, KLM, Luftansa
I travel really light and considered buying a Jambox recently. Since I'm abroad, the only place I can buy on is Amazon. None of the pics or specs I've seen give a good idea of the relative size. how big is this thing and how much does it weigh?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Justruss
I travel really light and considered buying a Jambox recently. Since I'm abroad, the only place I can buy on is Amazon. None of the pics or specs I've seen give a good idea of the relative size. how big is this thing and how much does it weigh?
The specs on amazon.com seem pretty clear to me, at least regarding size and weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Jawbone-JAMBOX.../ref=de_a_smtd

Regards
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by Justruss
I travel light as well and wouldn't want to carry around a Jambox, which is well-built but therefore on the heavy side.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
It's very important to note that these devices won't work in Windows 7 without significant tinkering.

The Bluetooth stack in Windows 7 does not support A2DP, the Bluetooth profile required for audio input/output devices. I have managed to get it work for brief periods of time by downloading other software but I have given up. Even for the few minutes I did manage to get it working (it stopped after a reboot), the quality was absolutely horrible - worse than an AM radio.

My Soundmatters foxL platinum with apt-x works fine in OSX with stellar sound quality over Bluetooth. This is very clearly a Windows issue. (Google a2dp windows 7 to see how much pain people have gone through.)
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by turtleisland
It's very important to note that these devices won't work in Windows 7 without significant tinkering.

The Bluetooth stack in Windows 7 does not support A2DP, the Bluetooth profile required for audio input/output devices. I have managed to get it work for brief periods of time by downloading other software but I have given up. Even for the few minutes I did manage to get it working (it stopped after a reboot), the quality was absolutely horrible - worse than an AM radio.

My Soundmatters foxL platinum with apt-x works fine in OSX with stellar sound quality over Bluetooth. This is very clearly a Windows issue. (Google a2dp windows 7 to see how much pain people have gone through.)
You clearly know more about the technical aspects, but my Jambox connects to my Win7 machines without issue...
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
The specs on amazon.com seem pretty clear to me, at least regarding size and weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Jawbone-JAMBOX.../ref=de_a_smtd

Regards
I did receive it, and I was very surprised how small it was. It was just the small size Amazon box. I'd guess the device dimensions are roughly 2" x 6" x 2". I haven't opened it up yet, just made sure the package looked ok before I wrapped it (my other half gets very snoopy so I need to wrap as soon as I open a box).

I did get a comment that the box seemed a little heavy for the size. But since I knew what it was, I wasn't too surprised.

Again, I'll report back on Sunday with any additional findings. Until then, it will (hopefully) remain wrapped and stashed.

Given what he's done with technology so far, I hope he's able to figure out how to get it to work with his computer/laptop (both Windows-based), but if not, he does have an iPhone and iPad...and I have my MacBook Air.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by maize&blue
You clearly know more about the technical aspects, but my Jambox connects to my Win7 machines without issue...
That gives me hope! Are you using a Bluetooth dongle or the built in bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.