Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for 7-inch tablet for travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:47 am
imj
Original Poster

Hi,

I'll be traveling to Europe early next month and would like to leave my laptop and take a 7-inch tablet instead in order to travel as light as possible. I am looking for a simple, inexpensive (under $300) tablet as I will primarily be using it to browse the web, send e-mail, and watch movies during my flight. I am very interested in Kindle Fire, but it won't be released until mid-November and my trip will take place before then. If you have a decent tablet to recommend, please let me know. Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 2:37 am

How about the Blackberry Playbook?

It's 7". The build-in browser is pretty good. It doesn't have an email app though. (The icons for Gmail, Hotmail, AOL Mail and Yahoo! Mail take you to their websites in the browser.) It's got a nice sharp screen.

Here's a list of media format's supported:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...English%29.pdf
Old Oct 23, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM, Amex Plat, DL Amex Res, HHonors Gold, Choice Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
You can get an eLocity a7 tablet for about $240 on Amazon. It's a nice tablet for the money.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd stay away from the playbook unless you own a blackberry - without the Blackberry and Blackberry Bridge software, you don't even get email outside the browser.

A Nook color could be a good option if you don't need 3G, plus it can be rooted. Best of all, you can find it for around $169 (refurbished).
Old Oct 23, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: OnePass, SPG
Originally Posted by ScottC
I'd stay away from the playbook unless you own a blackberry - without the Blackberry and Blackberry Bridge software, you don't even get email outside the browser.

A Nook color could be a good option if you don't need 3G, plus it can be rooted. Best of all, you can find it for around $169 (refurbished).
Seconded. It doesn't have any sort of store for downloading video, but you can load files into a microSD card. Good for books, magazines, and web browsing.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:05 pm

If you can wait, the Kindle Fire is getting go hype on it's capablities. It's available on Nov 15th, so that may be too late for your trip.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Am.../dp/B0051VVOB2
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
If you're able to, you might look at getting your hands on one of the firesale HP Touchpads. No, it's not 7" but you would be getting a better bang-for-the-buck.

Yes, WebOS is kind of dead. However, Android has just been released and many of us has gotten it installed already. Admittedly, the Android is an alpha2 build but I haven't seen any glitches yet. Reported ones usually related to wifi through extended periods of "sleep mode" but I haven't experienced this.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by ScottC

If you go the nook color route, another option is to load Android on an SD card. That way you can leave the Nook OS bone stock. With the SD card in, you boot generic Android, with it out, stock Nook.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 4:08 pm
imj
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I looked for $99 HP touchpads, but they seem no longer available. I don't own a Blackberry, so it sounds like Playbook is not the best option for me. I'm not familiar with eLocity, so I'll have to do a bit more research on that brand.

I'll be heading out to Best Buy and Barnes & Noble soon to check out some tablets including Nook Color.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by tkhattabaugh
You can get an eLocity a7 tablet for about $240 on Amazon. It's a nice tablet for the money.
$175 open box at Tech For Less:

http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/t...20111016204402

$300 now at Amazon.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:04 pm

Heck, I think you should just shell out the $499 and go with the 10" ipad instead. Lots of apps for everything.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by imj
Thanks, all. I looked for $99 HP touchpads, but they seem no longer available.
The $99 price has been long sold out. On my local Craigslist, tons of people selling the 16GB version for about $180. Still an awesome deal for a dual core spec'd tablet with an IPS screen.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by imj
Hi,

I'll be traveling to Europe early next month and would like to leave my laptop and take a 7-inch tablet instead in order to travel as light as possible. I am looking for a simple, inexpensive (under $300) tablet as I will primarily be using it to browse the web, send e-mail, and watch movies during my flight. I am very interested in Kindle Fire, but it won't be released until mid-November and my trip will take place before then. If you have a decent tablet to recommend, please let me know. Thanks!
Get a Nook Color. The refurbs are available immediately for less than $150 and do email, web, and movies very well. Battery life is good at 8 hours. You can get a new one for $249 at any Barnes and Noble.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...tml?cid=123620
http://www.buy.com/prod/nook-color-b...221376447.html

I use mine a lot, and got one for my dad, who loves it.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Oct 23, 2011 at 10:44 pm
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
This is a great thread to follow. I'm in the market for a tablet that is compatible with MS Office.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Michael El
This is a great thread to follow. I'm in the market for a tablet that is compatible with MS Office.
Office Live or Office 365?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.